Annihilation (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I wasn't a fan of this movie at all, and I don't know where to put the blame.

I just don't know how a story like this can be told in under 2 hours.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
I loved the movie. I've been thinking about it since it ended. I'm looking forward to rewatching it

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Bummer that it doesnt play in Europe. Would have liked to watch it in cinema. I am a sucker for slow moving obscure SciFi.

Szlia

They'll release it on Netflix in a few days, but I am not 100% sure that it means it will not be released in theaters at all.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Only checked current programm and upcoming in the OVA cinema. Hopefully there will be a release for cinema.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Hate to do this, But I slept on this movie and it's out of theatres already in my area. Anyone know where i can....come across a copy of it online?

I don't think people cared enough to even steal this.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Good copies haven't come out yet online, be a couple more days, once it starts streaming on netflix the WEBDL's will hit the usual sites.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They haven't said when it will hit netflix usa, either because they didn't want to hurt movie ticket sales or because it won't hit for a while

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I chose to accept it literally; now that you mentioned it:

-cancer is mentioned at the beginning of the movie when Natalie Portman's character is speaking to her Med students,
-Shepard (the cutest one) being there because her daughter had died of Lukemia.
-the psychologist, there because she is dying of cancer.

I hadn't bothered to even consider symbolism, but this more than likely not a coincidence and you're probably right that there is a second story.

However I went to see a Science Fiction movie, so I really only cared for the surface level. As far as I'm concerned Portman's husband went into the Shimmer to die or find some type of answer to life, having been briefed to some degree on the peculiar nature of the Ops. Portman went in as she said, because, "I owe him." Which I simply take to mean she betrayed him, and had come to the conclusion that he went in the Shimmer to die as having discovered her betrayal, he could not cope. She figures her best odds to help him is to investigate the Shimmer herself. As unrealistic as it is for them to send a team of just female researchers and a paramedic, I simply chose to believe that they had thought that maybe the prior missions being all soldiers and mostly men, they were taking a shot in the dark and trying a last ditch effort. It was sufficient explanation for me because I was interested in the Science Fiction and not the characters themselves. Ultimately it really doesn't make sense for her to be ok with the fake version of her husband, because he's not even a good copy.

The idea that it's actually an allegory for the trauma of battling and surviving cancer only to be deeply permanently altered makes sense, reminds me of this story: https://nypost.com/2015/07/12/botched-cancer-surgery-turned-my-husband-into-a-stranger/

I could see this as being an allegory for cancer but even played straight it works pretty well following a lot of the original HP lovecraft type stories. The alien/force/whatever the fuck it is in the movie is not evil nor good it is just simply so alien that its mere existence distorts and disrupts everything around it. Even the confrontation at the end you can't be even sure if that force is actually aware or if it is aware in any way we can comprehend. Also along the lines of lovecraft the concept of being to close to something that alien tends to erodes your sanity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
The ending sequence in the lighthouse , and that creepy ass bear, were the the reason to watch this movie. 10/10 those scenes.
5/10 the rest.
Every time Jane the virgin was on camera I was just waiting for a Hispanic narrator to tell us how she was feeling

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
this was a really shit movie, dragged on forever and everyone was a fail actor.

Holy shit if it wasn't for tje bear, this is like half a notch above syifi channel megashark

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user