Anno 1800

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Open beta still won't let you advance to the Engineer level. A couple extra features that were locked in closed beta but the entire end game is still locked out.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Would you say it’s worth checking out for someone that enjoys city builders but has never played an Anno game? One of my favorite games of all time is Caesar 3. Pretty big fan of Tropico in small bites.

I tried the story mode (very short in the beta, and functions more as a tutorial). Then yesterday at 1am I started a sandbox game. Went to bed at 8am.

I really liked it. Map is massive and gets even larger with exploration. You can't do everything on one island since not every island has the resources nor the space to fit every production line. Has minor quests (like in Tropico) that give items that you can equip in places like trade offices, your boats and so on. Can send boats on expeditions that give rewards like zoo animals (each animal has a different looking spot in the zoo which is nice). I only did a little bit of combat, but can micro manage it somewhat in the little I did. Didn't attack an island or get attacked though, so not sure how that works.

Overall a very positive impression and will probably buy it at launch. Pretty sure that's why they have the "beta" as well. It's very polished and an excellent marketing tool (unlike other recent betas). If you enjoy city builders, I can't imagine anything in it (other than missing content) being a disappointment. (Note: single player. Can't speak for multi-player)

Highly recommend downloading the beta if you're curious. If you enjoy it and find out you want to buy it, you can still buy it on steam until the 16th. After that, it is Epic exclusive until 2020. And assume you can also buy it directly from Uplay? Or does the epic deal require you to buy it on Epic and launch the uplay launcher?

Intropy

Shit Gamer
...After that, it is Epic exclusive until 2020. And assume you can also buy it directly from Uplay? Or does the epic deal require you to buy it on Epic and launch the uplay launcher?

Where did you hear that there would be an end to exclusivity in 2020? I prefer to buy on Steam, but wanted to wait a year or so anyway until DLCs/discounts start to popup, but I hadn't heard it would ever be coming back to Steam.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Where did you hear that there would be an end to exclusivity in 2020? I prefer to buy on Steam, but wanted to wait a year or so anyway until DLCs/discounts start to popup, but I hadn't heard it would ever be coming back to Steam.

Just assumed really. Saw an article on it which said it was like the timed exclusive Metro, but that might have been referencing Metro being on the Epic store and not the "timed" part. Did a look now, and you are right, can't find anything about it being timed other than it being said on various forums (probably by people assuming like I did). Might be a permanent PC exclusive.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, Ubisoft may have a different arrangement than some of the one-off one year deals

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just pre-ordered directly from the Uplay store. 20% discount with the 100 coin code.

Have to say that the achievement currency Uplay has is really great. Get free stuff from playing their games.

Be nice if the whole Epic store stuff that is happening now actually started pushing stores towards doing something similar. Competition is good, but would be much nicer if the stores made it a competition to be consumer friendly and give bonuses to consumers for using their store instead of paying money to a developer to keep a monopoly.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anno games are usually kinda easy once you master the basic gameplay loop. There's not a lot of randomness to account for, at least in the ones I've played in the past.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
I have buyer's remorse :(
Having so much more fun playing Tropico 6

Same here. Annos are a bit boring imho. Tropico has some great humor and a "campaign" (not really a campaign but feels like it). Anno 1800 is very pretty, though. Both are nice games but asking 60 USD is a bit much for the limited replay value.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Having a ton of fun playing Anno 1800. My first anno game and first playthrough. Check out my city and my big farm.

dwF6MzN.jpg

w1dUGdw.png

I did this in the campaign on whatever the default difficulty settings are. I'm planning on wrapping up this playthrough and then do a replay on the hardest mode.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
- I was definitely yearning for a pause button at times that would still let me scroll around the world and evaluate things. Something similar to how Oxygen Not Included works where you can rapidly tab through the game speeds and pause with space bar would be awesome.
I know this post is from beta and I'm playing this game like a year later, but the lack of a pause game was disturbing to me at first but makes a lot of sense now. Anno 1800 for me is more of a APM race to expand and tech than a strategic builder because of the lack of a pause button. I'm curious to see how hard it is on higher difficulty modes where I'm hoping that not hitting your APM in your build/expansion order means you'll get wrecked by the AI.

With 4 maps that each have a dozen or so islands and the production level of the workers, you quickly get into a position where you can't possibly keep up and have to invest your time in different areas strategically and strike a balance between city efficiency and speed. Creating the pig shit farm I posted above took a long time, but is really efficient. Is it worth it? Not sure.

I do think the pause button should still allow easy traversal of your maps and animation of the scenes. The only time I stopped to look at my city was when I was showing it off to my wife who asked me why I was ignoring her and my children the entire weekend, and it was really quite beautiful and detailed. I also liked checking out the zoo. While I was enjoying my city, I was wasting time.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
did they ever fix the problem with not being able to do more advanced shipping routes making the micro management a real ass pain?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
did they ever fix the problem with not being able to do more advanced shipping routes making the micro management a real ass pain?
I'm not sure what it was before, but unless I'm missing something the shipping is fairly basic and missing intelligence in deciding whether to load a given resource.

Ex: Let's say you are shipping between two islands, a residential island and an industrial island. The residential island sends out iron ore and receives steel bars from the industrial island. You have one route to move those two goods. If for whatever reason the residential island fills up on steel bars, your ships will pick it up from industrial island and never deliver it to residential island, so they never pick up the iron ore from residential island.

You can mitigate this by asking your ships to dump cargo that the island doesn't need to guarantee your shipments go through, but this prevents your warehouses from getting full. When you have a lot of islands I find it most reliable to use "warehouse full" notifications to inform me to scale back resource production, which saves money and frees up labor.

You can mitigate the above problem by having linked resources in a given column such that if residential island is full on steel bars, then your industrial island is probably full on iron ore so it doesn't matter that your supply line is fucked. This will cock block other byproducts though, so it's rarely useful.

So, I stick to basic shipping routes for most things. One type of good per column, no double dipping on shipments.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Anyone else still playing this? I've been having a blast lately and the game is gorgeous. I'm wondering if anyone is playing with mods and has any recommendations

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone else still playing this? I've been having a blast lately and the game is gorgeous. I'm wondering if anyone is playing with mods and has any recommendations

I bought it in November and sank a lot of time in it. Really fun game!

I've got a save file where I pretty much created an empire. Started off small and not bothering anyone, then built a fleet of ships and interjected in an existing war to capture a few more islands.

Now all of my islands contribute something to the home island, and I keep the AI on tiny rocks so I can toy with them when I get bored.

I had a massive zoo and museum but I needed more ships so I found the items/animals that give the best bonuses and canned the rest. Now I'm in the process of getting all the gas islands in the Artic so I can power my city without using oil. So my farming communities are now turning into towns to support the mines I need.

Hours fly by in this game.