Ant Man. July 2015

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
So meta

I'm sure people deeper in the rabbit hole than I will pick up a dozen clues from that ticker.
That hole doesn't look that deep:

Avengers 2 came out.
Cap 3 is coming.
Thor 3 is coming.
Black Panther is coming.

The 'Californian droughts' and 'Strucker dead in his cell' don't jump out at me though.

As for the movie itself, I love Paul Rudd, and feel bummed for Edgar Wright. Internet, what should I feel?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let this video guide you.
That reminds me, Conan is going to be doing shows from ComicCon this week Wednesday-Saturday(normally airs Mon-Thur). Saturday's show is billed as

"Mystery Cast Show

Conan talks to a never-before-seen Hollywood Blockbuster cast that's so secret we can't even say its name. But if there are any telepaths out there, we're thinking about it extra-hard."

Hoping it's Ant Man, because Rudd on Conan is always gold.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Really enjoyed the movie. Thought it was a little slow as it set everything up but once it started going I liked it a lot. Thought it tied into the universe well too. Guessing people will love/hate the comic relief, I loved it.

Don't feel like I need to go back and see it again, but enjoyed it and look forward to where they go from here given the mid and after credit scenes.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Can you put the mid and after credit scenes in spoilers for those that have interest?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
If you google it, most of the sites give you a bunch of context for these that spoil more of the movie than you need IMO. If you're interested in what the scenes are without as much:

Mid-credits:
Pym reveals an unfinished Wasp suit to his daughter, who sports the trademark Janet Van Dyne haircut the whole movie, and says it's time to finish it. She responds with a resounding 'it's about damn time'

Post-credits:
Scott Lang meets the Falcon in the movie, it pays off here.

Winter Soldier is being held captive (his metal arm is in a vice or something) by Cap and Falcon. Falcon asks if they should call Tony Stark for help... Cap says he Tony wouldn't (think he said something about 'an accord' being the reason why), and Falcon says 'I know a guy.'

So between the two of them...

Wasp enters the cinematic universe and Ant-Man becoming a member of Cap's group in Civil War, it would seem.

Better explanations and more context that's more spoilery of the movie itself can be found in any of the press descriptions like this one:SPOILERS: And the TWO post-credit scenes for Ant-Man are

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Saw it yesterday. Very good movie, lots of humor, and kickass action sequences with the new powers. Can't wait to see more of that character in future movies. Only weakness of the movie was the paper-thin villain but honestly the important part was the rest of the cast and they were very good. I recommend this movie, very entertaining!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's interesting. Marvel is pretty terrible at doing their villians justice but are really good at making their heroes. DC does the exact opposite. Well, except parralax.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Ledgers Joker is the only solid DC villain so far. Scarecrow went the Darth Maul route. Bane was just ok. The Lex Luthor we deserve, but still haven't gotten on the big screen is the Injustice: God Among Us version.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I liked Zod and thought Scarecrow just didnt get enough time. Bane was bad

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Bane was great till the last 25 minutes of the movie.

Zod was also awesome, probably their best behind Ledgers Joker.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Both, clearly.

Weak badguys are honestly an issue that DC doesn't have to deal with. People -know- Superman. They -know- Batman. There are more than 5 movies for each of those franchises at this point, and that was happening 25 years ago.(goddamn I'm old. =|) "Good" Marvel movies that don't include Blade exist within the last decade at best. Iron Man is known now, but 10 years ago most people could probably give two shits about him. Hulk and Captain America, slightly different story, but there is still a lack of public appeal to those characters from having grown up with them outside of a comic-centric upbringing. Marvel is just trying to get the public into "Iron Man is awesome!" and "Captain America is awesome!" mode, and not so much about how Red Skull is literally super-hitler, or how the Mandarin has rings that can control people's minds or shoot f'n lasers. Even though in the last decade those characters have definitely taken a lead over the established comic book characters, Batman and Superman are -very- established. So DC is free to make the villains interesting, because the general public has known about the most often used heroes' backstories for a generation.

Not really an excuse, but it seems like a likely scenario.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Saw it yesterday. Very good movie, lots of humor, and kickass action sequences with the new powers. Can't wait to see more of that character in future movies. Only weakness of the movie was the paper-thin villain but honestly the important part was the rest of the cast and they were very good. I recommend this movie, very entertaining!
I don?t know, I think it?s only been recently with the advent of the Marvel Universe that many of the villains seem paper-thin. Previously in many of the stand-alone movies, before the idea of a Marvel or DC Universe, the villains were fairly decent. Below are the villains I think were much more than paper thin. My only problem was with Heath Ledger?s Joker who, was such a great character, he completely overshadowed Christian Bale?s Batman, in my opinion.

Superman II ? Zod
Batman ? The Joker (Jack Nicholson)
Batman Returns - Catwoman
X-Men ? Magneto
Spider-Man 2 ? Doc Ock
X-Men 2 ? Col. Stryker
The Dark Knight ? The Joker (Heath Ledger)

Since then the only really great villain, most people agree on, is Loki. Other than that, the villains really aren?t that interesting. Zod wasn?t bad and I think the Red Skull was better than most people think but we really aren?t given much meat about a villain. I actually thought ASM 2?s Green Goblin was probably the best villain of ASM or ASM 2 and was way better than Electro.

The Marvel Universe really does lack villains these days with truly good stories and depth.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's a shame Ultron was so watered down. I like the long game they are playing with Thanos, hopefully we get a good attempt with him once he gets more screen time.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Thanos shoulda had a standalone movie before his actual villain movie comes along. He's going to fall flat and be another cackling retard like every other marvel villain so far.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think one of the biggest issues with Marvel's villains these days is that they are trying to build a "universe" and in order to build it, let the villains suffer.

I'm really nervous about Marvel's Infinity War too. Is it going to be like the first time Thanos acquired the Infinity Gems from back in the 70's or more like the 90's Infinity War mini-series.

Honestly, I think the only way they can go about it is more like the way Marvel did it in the 70's but that's probably going to piss off all the fanboys who got into comics around the time Infinity War was published. I think the story is going to be very difficult to do and please everyone who's looking forward to it.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I don't know, I think it's only been recently with the advent of the Marvel Universe that many of the villains seem paper-thin. Previously in many of the stand-alone movies, before the idea of a Marvel or DC Universe, the villains were fairly decent. Below are the villains I think were much more than paper thin. My only problem was with Heath Ledger's Joker who, was such a great character, he completely overshadowed Christian Bale's Batman, in my opinion.

Superman II - Zod
Batman - The Joker (Jack Nicholson)
Batman Returns - Catwoman
X-Men - Magneto
Spider-Man 2 - Doc Ock
X-Men 2 - Col. Stryker
The Dark Knight - The Joker (Heath Ledger)

Since then the only really great villain, most people agree on, is Loki. Other than that, the villains really aren't that interesting. Zod wasn't bad and I think the Red Skull was better than most people think but we really aren't given much meat about a villain. I actually thought ASM 2's Green Goblin was probably the best villain of ASM or ASM 2 and was way better than Electro.

The Marvel Universe really does lack villains these days with truly good stories and depth.
Yeah, they attach good actors, good character actors even, to the villains and then do very little with them. Two that stand out in that list to me are Doc Ock (Alfred Molina) and Stryker (Brian Cox). They really added weight to the performances, Ock because you see the full transition and Stryker because you can feel from the outset that he's driven and does what he does with a purpose, which we learn why later on. The Marvel villains, barring Loki, are justthereand you could have a paper cardboard stand-in for the most part.