Ant Man. July 2015

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
tumblr_ns4nisPdsT1rtyhz7o1_1280.jpg

Xevy

Log Wizard
I have three kids and don't pay this to go see a movie, get a different babysitter.
Two tickets = 25 bucks. If you get two drinks and a one large popcorn that's another 20 bucks at AMC. So I'm assuming the babysitter for 2ish-3ish hours is what, 10 dollars an hour?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Minus the babysitter part, obviously, I still don't see why people feel that the cost of soda and popcorn is mandatory when seeing a movie. Not to mention, you could just go eat a gourmet meal* somewhere before or after for practically the same cost if you are that dead set on not eating at home.

*exaggerated for effect, don't citation needed me yo

Fadaar

That guy
Two tickets = 25 bucks. If you get two drinks and a one large popcorn that's another 20 bucks at AMC. So I'm assuming the babysitter for 2ish-3ish hours is what, 10 dollars an hour?
I think I paid $7 for the matinee. You poor bastard.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got a nice in-theater dinner, with coffee, and my ticket for a total of $22 or so. Theaters are gonna keep overcharging for shitty food as long as you keep paying for shitty food. Even if you don't have a dine-in theater (most places still don't I assume), yea just go eat dinner before or after the movie.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Go on a Saturday afternoon. Tickets are $5 each at the nicest theater in the city here before 4:30pm. Go to a 4pm show, get out at 6 and then go whatever. Bring your own snacks if you need to have them and share a soda that has free refills.

Parents pretending they can't do things because of kids/cost of having kids are annoying. You can do it, it's just easier to pretend you can't.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Join AMC stubs, their reward program for 12bucks a year. sometimes if you watch on deal sites you get to join for 2bucks, every 100bucks you spend you get 10bucks, free upsize drinks/popcorn.

I personally got it for the fandango fee, the fandango fee is waived if you have a membership, it's 2bucks a ticket? so it's already worth it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The difference between the matinee and regular price is ~$2 around here. And matinee is only for the first showing of the day. Theatres around here are cheapskates. So, for the wife and I to see antman was about $70. I didn't have to get a drink, but we were thirsty. Babysitter for 3 kids was about $40, movie was like, $23 for both of us, then a $5 drink. So yes, it sucks as a parent to go see movies. It's still possible and I don't complain about it, but accounting for everything (not including dinner), its an expensive endeavor

Fadaar

That guy
Actually I was wrong, movie ticket was $5. I spent another $4.50 for a drink and some candy. I love low cost of living areas.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Movie tickets are $10.49 for me and I think $12.50 for 3d. Matinees are something like $7.50 or $8. A #1 at the movies is a large popcorn and giant bucket drink with infinite refills for $14.50. I rarely get it as the drink makes me pee like 3x during the fucking movie, but the free style machines make it worthwhile. That and you can just fill that motherfucker up with the self serve Icee machines too.

Our AMC has a bar now too, but I don't drink so no fucking clue what that shit costs.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Shit just go to CVS and buy some cheap ass candy. Fuck paying more than the ticket cost for snacks at the theater.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Unfortunately, those concessions are how they make the majority of their money. They make very little from admissions. It's like gas stations. They make money off Doritos and Mountain Dew, not the $2.69 per gallon.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Who gives a fuck how they make their money? Go buy candy somewhere else, you don't owe them anything.
Well on one side I'd like to support the cinema industry with my patronage, but I only buy popcorn a drink probably 1 out of 4 times I see a movie, but I see a movie almost weekly. On the other hand, fuck tradition and give me awesome streaming ability for movies when they release more often. Except they'll never do that because people would have 10 people over for one ticket and ain't no one want them to make it pay-per-view where it's 60 bucks to see a movie on premiere night.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If it's a locally owned theater or a very small chain, they deserve your support. If it's some big chain like GKC or Carmike, fuck them.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I remember when matinee was before 6pm. When I saw this the Friday of release I saw the 445 3D IMax. Full price. I looked up and ya matinee ends at 430 in that theater. Shit...

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The Cinemark around the corner from my house has Tuesday before 5pm shows for $5 a person. This is how AntMan was consumed for the wife and I. Additionally, they also have some concessions you don't normally see and ergo I tend to eat badly at that theater (Hello Mr Funnel Cake!) As for drinks and popcorn, they have a deal with a refillable mug and bucket you can get. Bring it in and refills are only $3. Let them e-mail you coupons and usually you have a buy one and get the other free on top of that. It's still possible to get a movie, two drinks and popcorn for under $20 for us.