Ant Man. July 2015

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
necro!

i finally got over my extreme butthurt over edgar wright not making this movie. so i gave it a shot. it was ok. some stuff was straight up stupid, but the lead actor is likable. worst part of the movie fore was the shoehorned fight with falcon. best part was the whole scene in the little girl's room.

oh and i still think they could have made this edgar wright's way, whichever way that was and put the MCU tie-ins in the after-credits

Agraza

Registered Hutt
original director and the guy that pushed for them to even bother making an ant-man film in the first place. Marvel's interconnected film universe wasn't such a grandiose enterprise when he started.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You mean Edgar Wright? Eric Wright is Easy-E.

I didnt really care if Wright directed Ant Man but the praise about the script from everyone made it a bummer

j00t

Do we have a side by side comparison to know what changed? From what I heard, it was only really a few minor parts, including the falcon scenes

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Who the fuck is Eric wright?
he was edgar wright's twin brother and the real genius behind all edgar's films, they locked him in the attic and only fed him fish heads.

seriously, i flubbed his name.

Do we have a side by side comparison to know what changed? From what I heard, it was only really a few minor parts, including the falcon scenes
if they still did wright's script but without him and the reason he got fired/left was because of that fucking falcon scene then i am going back to being butthurt.

j00t

Eh, I enjoyed that scene for what it was. But from what I heard, wright left because he absolutely would not bend on anything in his script. He very specifically wanted ant-man in a bubble. Marvel wanted ant-man connected tobthe MCU. Honestly, could have even had more to do with sequals then this movie individually

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Eh, I enjoyed that scene for what it was. But from what I heard, wright left because he absolutely would not bend on anything in his script. He very specifically wanted ant-man in a bubble. Marvel wanted ant-man connected tobthe MCU. Honestly, could have even had more to do with sequals then this movie individually
that whole scene wasnt organic with the rest of the film, there can be mentions of the avengers, hydra,shield even the plotpoint of breaking into an avengers base is all good, but they cameo falcon and nobody else? nobody even answered his communications about the breach in security. he didnt even get any backup. that scene was just there as a product placement for Civil War and falcon's new suit. as i said, they could have stuck that shit into the aftercredits. which they did anyway, twice.

j00t

No, I know it wasn't organic to the film itself, it just didn't bother me overly much. I don't have a problem understanding why people didn't like it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I didn't mind it either. It allowed him to actually tangle with an Avenger that wouldn't outright beat the shit out of him, but also provided us with one that had a fairly legitimate reason to be able to spot him so we didn't just have Ant-Man sneaking past him without any confrontation. And I like the actor that plays Falcon too.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I didn't mind it either. It allowed him to actually tangle with an Avenger that wouldn't outright beat the shit out of him, but also provided us with one that had a fairly legitimate reason to be able to spot him so we didn't just have Ant-Man sneaking past him without any confrontation. And I like the actor that plays Falcon too.
Ant Man vs Falcon was probably one of my favorite parts from this movie. Him just saying "sorry" while dismantling his shit and fighting him was great Rudd stuff.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It was an entertaining scene for sure. My only gripe with it was the deus ex of Falcon magically having these optics that allowed him to flawlessly follow Ant-Man's shrunken movement. I get that it's necessary to have anything more than a one-sided fight, but I guess maybe they could have explained it more. It came off as displaying that even though Ant-Man has these sweet powers, anyone will be able to rebuff his powers with no problem whatsoever, his size gives him no stealth advantage, etc.

I'd imagine Ant-Man would be at the top of the list for heroes who have a serious advantage when their opponents are ignorant to their powers. But no, turns out, the first super-powered brawl he gets into, the opponent is just like "yeah whatever, there's a shrinking dude running around here" into his Avengers comm.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I saw it as Falcon needs to be able to see normal sized people from high altitudes, so being low to or at ground level would be similar. Also it was bad luck he ran into Falcon and not War Machine, but then Rhodey might have just started making craters. Scarlet Witch would have been able to sense him, and Cap and BW were too expensive.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, he's the Falcon, it makes sense that he might have enhanced optics. But even if he were called Butterfly, if you run around with people like Iron Man chances are you're going to get some sweet tech upgrades.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Exactly. As someone who felt the scene did feel a slightly out of place among the rest of the film, that detail makes perfect sense. Of all the current heroes to have enhanced sight, Falcon is the ideal candidate.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That and Hawkeye. He makes sense also.
Agreed. But Falcon had electronics for Ant-Man to wreck. Hawkeye just has arrowheads. So it was pretty much Falcon, Iron-Man, or War Machine as the only options. Falcon makes the most sense from a budget and "Ant-Man needs to win" standpoint.

I had no problem with the scene. But then again I'm easily amused.