Antiperspirant/Deodorant discussion

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dunno, seems like it's been working well for me. Granted my sense of smell is bad, so when it's a day without deodorant I can smell that, but I'm always paranoid I stink when I can't smell anything.

At the end of 12 hours wearing kevlar, after a heavy salting, I feel like I don't have any of the normal stink I get after even just sitting at home for a day. Am I smelling like a flower field? No, but at least I can't identify an actual "bad" smell.

I should get some sanitizer and try that for emergencies though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Make sure it works for you first. Mine was just the "I forgot deodorant this morning" BO, but if you have an actual medical issue it might not work

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I've been using old spice for a while but I've been getting horrendously sweaty in just the pits when I'm just sitting at my desk. I can go to the gym for an hour and barely break a sweat. Went to the Dr and got prescription dri antiperspirant, it's 20% aluminum where as the certain dri above is 12%.

I've not had very good luck with either. It's just the pits that get sweaty, I'm in shape, 5'10 around 175 pounds. It's weird I'm having these pit swear issues.

Thinking of trying Thompson tees as undershirt Sweat Proof Shirts For Men By Thompson Tee | Guaranteed To Protect Against Sweat

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I've been using old spice for a while but I've been getting horrendously sweaty in just the pits when I'm just sitting at my desk. I can go to the gym for an hour and barely break a sweat. Went to the Dr and got prescription dri antiperspirant, it's 20% aluminum where as the certain dri above is 12%.

I've not had very good luck with either. It's just the pits that get sweaty, I'm in shape, 5'10 around 175 pounds. It's weird I'm having these pit swear issues.
Thinking of trying Thompson tees as undershirt Sweat Proof Shirts For Men By Thompson Tee | Guaranteed To Protect Against Sweat

Try making sure your armpits are 100% dry- no moisture - prior to applying it in the morning. Most people throw it on right after the shower and it’s still humid. Ruins the efficacy of it.m

If I’m in a rush I go as far as running the hair dryer on them prior to applying

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So I was out all day on NYE. Left my house at 10am and didn't get back until 4:30am on the 1st. Long ass day. Anyway, my salt deodorant stopped working at some point. I noticed a slight musky smell, but not full fledged stink. I was near a McD's, so I went in and grabbed a single salt packet of iodized salt and went into the restroom. Lifted my shirt and wiped my pits with water, then melted some salt onto my fingers and wiped it into my pits. This actually kept me free of all stink until I arrived home and was able to take a shower before completely shutting down. I know it isn't completely the same, but damnit, it worked!
I wasn't aware that McDonald's salt contained potassium alum.

Wait, it doesn't. Why would you think this would work?! Perhaps the act of rinsing off your pits helped, but the iodized salt itself? If that worked, this shit would be a lot cheaper.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't know why it worked, but sure enough... It did. I got another 8+ hours with clean smelling pits after using the iodized salt packet.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Very important I necro this thread:

I was trying to get away from standard deodorant because the fragrances in most of them would make me dizzy with headaches. I tried a few 'natural' ones that didn't work at all. Finally tried the crystal, and for 2 or 3 weeks I was having some bad like 'nervous' smelling BO days despite nothing of interest happening. I guess that was maybe just somehow sweating out chemical shit or my body adjusting, because after that it was smooth sailing using the crystal.

Out of work with Covid hysteria the last 3 months haven't had a reason to even use the crystal. Been taking dog for long walks daily and working a ton in the yard. I get sweaty and stinky almost every day now, but the girlfriend doesn't seem to mind, and some days she says I smell sweet and/or manly. Obviously goes stale if I sit around too long without showering, but feels good to just say fuck it and go without deodorant.

The weird thing is when I'm not doing something physical and/or wouldn't want to be smelly, like the few distanced socializing we've done or in the car driving to the next town over for take-out, I've been fine without deodorant.

Also noticed the crystal was good to keep me from smelling most days when I still had work, but when I did do something more active it seemed harder to get rid of the smell showering. Granted, I have to use pretty weak soap without fragrances because of the headache/dizzy thing, but now that I'm using no deodorant there are days I'm pretty stank and showering with the same soap come out smelling just fine. Not sure if related to the crystal or if it's just that I'm way more active now while out of work so sweating more, which seems healthier and more natural, so cleans up easier. I dunno, but has been interesting.

Overall it has felt pretty good (almost liberated) just cutting out deodorant all together and it being manageable. When I return to work I dunno how it'll go, but for now, feels good, man.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Very important I necro this thread:

I was trying to get away from standard deodorant because the fragrances in most of them would make me dizzy with headaches. I tried a few 'natural' ones that didn't work at all. Finally tried the crystal, and for 2 or 3 weeks I was having some bad like 'nervous' smelling BO days despite nothing of interest happening. I guess that was maybe just somehow sweating out chemical shit or my body adjusting, because after that it was smooth sailing using the crystal.

Out of work with Covid hysteria the last 3 months haven't had a reason to even use the crystal. Been taking dog for long walks daily and working a ton in the yard. I get sweaty and stinky almost every day now, but the girlfriend doesn't seem to mind, and some days she says I smell sweet and/or manly. Obviously goes stale if I sit around too long without showering, but feels good to just say fuck it and go without deodorant.

The weird thing is when I'm not doing something physical and/or wouldn't want to be smelly, like the few distanced socializing we've done or in the car driving to the next town over for take-out, I've been fine without deodorant.

Also noticed the crystal was good to keep me from smelling most days when I still had work, but when I did do something more active it seemed harder to get rid of the smell showering. Granted, I have to use pretty weak soap without fragrances because of the headache/dizzy thing, but now that I'm using no deodorant there are days I'm pretty stank and showering with the same soap come out smelling just fine. Not sure if related to the crystal or if it's just that I'm way more active now while out of work so sweating more, which seems healthier and more natural, so cleans up easier. I dunno, but has been interesting.

Overall it has felt pretty good (almost liberated) just cutting out deodorant all together and it being manageable. When I return to work I dunno how it'll go, but for now, feels good, man.
I'm not sure if you have been introduced to the wonders of pine tar soap (there's a thread about it somewhere), but that may be something you want to check out too. It has a natural scent which would probably help with the whole dizziness thing, and I've found that, combined with the crystal deodorant, it actually works great for those "light sweat" days. The natural scent of the pine tar kind of seeps out, so to speak, and the women I know well enough to sniff my armpits have said that it is a pleasant smell. Granted, there is always a point at which it gets overpowered by funk, but just a little sweat from like sitting around the office when the women don't like the ac low enough seems to hold up just fine. I'm just about as anti-hippy as you can get too, yet somehow I've been converted to pine tar soap and crystal deodorant! I make sure to use excess chemicals in other areas to make up for it.

Unfortunately the great FoH pine tar scramble of 2018(?) seems to have driven up the cost of pine tar soap permanently, but you can still get it for a halfway decent price if you look hard enough.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure if you have been introduced to the wonders of pine tar soap (there's a thread about it somewhere), but that may be something you want to check out too. It has a natural scent which would probably help with the whole dizziness thing, and I've found that, combined with the crystal deodorant, it actually works great for those "light sweat" days. The natural scent of the pine tar kind of seeps out, so to speak, and the women I know well enough to sniff my armpits have said that it is a pleasant smell. Granted, there is always a point at which it gets overpowered by funk, but just a little sweat from like sitting around the office when the women don't like the ac low enough seems to hold up just fine. I'm just about as anti-hippy as you can get too, yet somehow I've been converted to pine tar soap and crystal deodorant! I make sure to use excess chemicals in other areas to make up for it.

Unfortunately the great FoH pine tar scramble of 2018(?) seems to have driven up the cost of pine tar soap permanently, but you can still get it for a halfway decent price if you look hard enough.
What brand are you using? The last one I tried didn't have the right mixture. Was literally trying to rub sap in my pits. Not a nice feeling.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What brand are you using? The last one I tried didn't have the right mixture. Was literally trying to rub sap in my pits. Not a nice feeling.
Uh, that one with the old guy on it that we talked about in that thread. I looked it up, Grandpa's. Their charcoal one was ok too, but I prefer the pine tar. It is as smooth as any other bar of soap, unless it dries weird and gets those little drip parts hanging off like all soap does. No idea why they would make one that is rough, sounds terrible to use.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Uh, that one with the old guy on it that we talked about in that thread. I looked it up, Grandpa's. Their charcoal one was ok too, but I prefer the pine tar. It is as smooth as any other bar of soap, unless it dries weird and gets those little drip parts hanging off like all soap does. No idea why they would make one that is rough, sounds terrible to use.
Grandpa's, thanks! I think some of the hippie brands that aim for the "no added anything" approach need to take some schooling to refine their mixtures.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Have been using the crystal deodorant the last few years, but it seemed like it was lasting way too long and stopped working as well and not applying very smoothly. Not sure what happened, but I got a new one that glides on smooth and seems to work fine. Still not super great if I'm going to be working in the yard or have nervous sweats, though.

For actual good smelling and odor fighting Stinkbug has been a great brand, especially if you're all all sensitive to fragrances like I am. There's a vanilla mint fragrance that smells like mint chocolate chip icecream, which is kinda weird, but not entirely unpleasant. And I got amber sage (next up to the main stage!) the other day because my girlfriend said it smelled manlier than the name implies. Both charcoal, which helps, and all natural fragrances so no headaches like I get with 99% of consumer fragrances.