Aradune Returns to EQ aka the EQ Nostalgia thread

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Al Kabor has lots of weird issues with spawns. But I meant the Jester in Kurn's. Who knows he may be there just super rare compared to live servers.
EQ just relies heavily on the random number generator, and true randomness is very streaky. Here is my smithing log on Al'Kabor:

Now keep in mind, each COMBINE, not skillup, was about 5 minutes of farming-- and I assure you I am able to farm these mats faster than just about anybody. (even made a video of it)

190-200 are the 'hell points' or whatever in that they are the hardest to get. Imagine how I felt in just the first two points when I was going on 80+ combines with one skillup. I'm an EQ veteran; I understand how streaky the RNG is and I know the skillup formula, and I was seriously starting to freak out at that point after farming bags and bags of mats. And then later, 87 combines for one point. That is over seven hours of farming mats for one skillup.

Now imagine how giddy I was when I got 9 points in 76 combines.

That was about a 5% chance of a skillup per combine. If a mob has a 1 in 4 chance of spawning, there is a ~5.63% chance you won't see it in 10 consecutive spawns. (assuming my math is right)

The RNG is a harsh mistress. The only way to beat it is by throwing large numbers at it. When met with a bad streak you just have to keep going, and eventually you'll see what you want over and over again. A lot of people start thinking something is broken when they get a bad streak because they can be so long.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Torrid, what the fuck man...

It is like I have had a pain in my gut for years, but never took the time to investigate or diagnose it. Here you come in with hard facts, like a doctor with an x-ray showing cancer the size of a bowling ball.

My worst EQ bad-luck experience had to be the Mushroom in Upper Guk that dropped a ring for the Paw of Opolla. Started Friday evening and went all the way into Sunday morning in a non-stop 30+ hour camp. My cousin actually relieved me after I could not take it anymore and he got the drop less than an hour after taking the camp over. I never had terrible luck with the traditional camps like the Veeshan's Peek key or the Vex Thall Key. I think my longest camp for those was probably 4 or 5 hours, and I was able to complete my Vex Thall Key in one weekend as a Necro soloing most of it.

As for tradeskills, I hate them. I did them enough to get the Coldain Shawl on one of my characters, but I remember being able to just throwing insane money at it and not having to farm. No fuckin way I would farm hours and hours for the 5% chance at 1 skill up. 86 combines for one skill up? That is beyond wrong.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I've never successfully camped Quillmane; and that's supposed to be an easy spawn. Spent 22 hours camping a FBSS and I think 70 hours for Pawbuster in KC though.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did Quillmane on P99 and it was terrible as a Rogue even with a tracking bot. I'm still convinced people lied about how to get it to spawn just to fuck with me.

Worst thing I ever camped on live was Ghoulbane.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
As for tradeskills, I hate them. I did them enough to get the Coldain Shawl on one of my characters, but I remember being able to just throwing insane money at it and not having to farm. No fuckin way I would farm hours and hours for the 5% chance at 1 skill up. 86 combines for one skill up? That is beyond wrong.
Yeah, I might prefer a tradeskill exp bar instead of that. My number of combines to 240 from 188 (the end of 'easy' skillups) was very close to expected though. (1000) I was seriously getting an increased heart rate at some points doing fucking tradeskills. That's EQ for you.

I do like how difficult trades are to raise. Unlike most games, in EQ you can make good money from a high tradeskill. Back in 1999 I was one of the first high skill tailors and it was neat having everybody come to me for backpacks.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I did Quillmane on P99 and it was terrible as a Rogue even with a tracking bot. I'm still convinced people lied about how to get it to spawn just to fuck with me.

Worst thing I ever camped on live was Ghoulbane.
Quillmane PH is on a 76 second respawn that wanders more or less the entire zone. Without cheating there is just no way you would ever get that cloak except out of pure luck back in the day. I used ShowEQ on Vulak to farm 4 cloaks and it still took hours and was a major pita.

Incredibly retarded and obscure rares/quest drops was not one of EQs better ideas.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Incredibly retarded and obscure rares/quest drops was not one of EQs better ideas.
They were fine back in the day with people actually grouping in the zones. Mobs would die one way or another and the announcement of a rare spawn would rile up everybody in the zone; esp. Quillmane. But yeah, once zone population goes down those spawns become incredibly hard to come by.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
They were fine back in the day with people actually grouping in the zones. Mobs would die one way or another and the announcement of a rare spawn would rile up everybody in the zone; esp. Quillmane. But yeah, once zone population goes down those spawns become incredibly hard to come by.
I noticed this same thing early on in Qeynos Hills on Vulak. We had Pyzjn spawn like once an hour for the first night just because every mob was constantly being slaughtered. A few guildies got the gbs at like level 8.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i got my Pegasus Feather Cloak in about 10 minutes on P99. had a bard friend helping. we were dumbfounded -- luckiest Quillmane camp ever perhaps.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Uhh no. Those idiotic mechanics where not a test of skill or knowledge, just a test of how little of a life you have. Even with ShowEQ and knowing the spawn mechanic it still took me hours to find Quillmane's PH and get it to spawn. That is just god damn stupid and lazy game design.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Reading comprehension fail? I never said they were tests of skill or knowledge, only that they were created with populous zones in mind and that they were acceptable in rarity when those conditions were met.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In a populated southern karanas, just hike between aviak tree and splitpaw entrance and kill any roaming mobs (gnolls) that you find.
In a not populated skaranas... well you better bring some quad kiting friends or dont start at all.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to stand at the base of some hill between aviaks and splitpaw and kill roamers. This is where the lies began.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I've never successfully camped Quillmane; and that's supposed to be an easy spawn. Spent 22 hours camping a FBSS and I think 70 hours for Pawbuster in KC though.
I camped Quillmane and gave up on it. Never got her to spawn. Longest camp for me was Efreeti, FBSS, and cleric epic. Ugh.

Lina_sl

shitlord
I hated it.

It was just one of the blandest things ever, or maybe just because it never seemed like Everquest would have a tutorial, when the game just forced me to make a character and I went and hacked and slashed my way out there.

Eq having a tutorial seemed like a way of acquiescing more than anything and how it was executed was like passing out during a bath. *yawn*

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
For some reason, I remember always being really upset that I couldn't keep the giant ruby that you got in the tutorial.

My perception of the relative power and value of stuff was very skewed when I first started, I'm not sure if it was because I was young and impressionable or just the newness of the game and genre. As a wide eyed Dwarf Warrior, I was exceedingly envious that the guards had full plate and my warrior had cloth and a rusty sword. This was very early in the game, before much of anybody had even heard of Unrest, let alone had plate of any kind. I would imagine what kind of stats their armor granted, wishing that one day I could be as strong as the guards. I had no idea if that was the strongest class of armor (plate), or if there was something even stronger waiting out there in the depths. I would look at the map that came with the game and just wonder what existed in the far reaches. Some untold treasures no doubt.

It was all a total mystery to me, but nobody that I had ever seen looked nearly as decked out as the guards, or even close. Occasional banded or ringmail was about the best you'd see. A few weeks after I had pondered about the guards, I had been in Crushbone, and Dvinn was bugged in the corner by the zone line, per usual. A Wood Elf warrior named Vardamin had arrived wearing quite nearly full bronze plate. He was around level 30 and was probably one of the highest level warrior on the Rathe at the time. He and his friend made quick work of Dvinn and Emperor crush, and actually gave me the Tunic as I looked on in awe. All I knew was that there was power to be had far beyond what I had achieved in my several weeks of playing, that plate was indeed achievable, and that, in my eyes, it turned you into a god amongst men.

Fast forward about 4-5 months and I was in the Plane of Fear at the invite of Vardamin's guild. I was one of a small handful of Warriors who were above 45 at the time and the invite came quite out of the blue. I was allowed to roll on a piece of Indicolite which had dropped off an Amygadalan warrior, won, and actually had the piece prior to Vardamin himself (in retrospect I should have deferred). Within a few months after that, I had obtained a Soul Leech from Cazic-Thule and had a full suit of planar armor. I was also fortunate enough to be my guild's main tank, and was awarded our first Cloak of Flames. When I walked by Kaladim, I looked as the guards did, but in a dark gold with a tall two handed sword. I still probably couldn't kill a guard at that time, but I could surely give it a run for it's money. I now felt like a god amongst men, just as I saw the guards to be when I had began playing several months prior. When I was in the East-Commons tunnel, I would be spam inspected the instant I arrived.

To me, that was the allure of the game in a nutshell. You started a peon in a very harsh world. If you were certain races, you could barely even see at night. You were given nothing and you had very few resources at your disposal. There were certainly things, or even people that were gods compared to you, and maybe one day, with enough luck and dedication, you could be one yourself.