Aradune Returns to EQ aka the EQ Nostalgia thread

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Mines of Gloomingdeep is so.... *meh* I think I've done it at least twice both times by the end of it I was like WTF? Why am I doing this again?
That was the original tutorial that shipped with the game as a separate .exe in 1999. Did none of you do it?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i should dig my old '97 compaq out of the shed and play that tutorial

major blast of nostalgia after watching that video. i had totally forgotten about the tutorial.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
My very first death. My own guildmaster. Typing in /hail and the A turned on my autoattack... WHACK.. Loading..Please Wait!

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My very first death. My own guildmaster. Typing in /hail and the A turned on my autoattack... WHACK.. Loading..Please Wait!
Man, the worst was when I accidentally did this to the guy on the docks in butcherblock. No close zone from there so it was a long ass run.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Does anyone remember the Freeport beggar who produced some faint speech? I don't remember what he said but it was kind of creepy.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember farming Cuburt in the Qeynos catacombs. You would be sitting there waiting for the spawn, and then get the eerie feeling like you were being watched. You turn around and BAM a beggar right in your face, saying "might i have a copper please?"

You would only hear what he said if you had a pimped out sound card at the time. On-board sound cards didn't pick up a lot of EQ sound files.
rrr_img_42427.png
rrr_img_42426.png

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Does anyone remember the Freeport beggar who produced some faint speech? I don't remember what he said but it was kind of creepy.
I believe this guy spawned in The Seafairer's Roost occasionally. I used to camp the bards in there on my mid level characters and I'd see the beggar now and then. I believe what he said was "Might I have a copper, please?" or something along those lines. The first time I heard the audio it scared the shit out of me, and it took me a while to realize it was him saying it.

I didn't realize there was one in Qeynos, too.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was also an audio file inside a few of the bars / taverns. You could faintly hear murmurs and bar chatter and glasses klinking. I remember trying to figure out what they were saying.

Lina_sl

shitlord
That was the original tutorial that shipped with the game as a separate .exe in 1999. Did none of you do it?
Was not a happy fun time for me to come back to that when I attempted to come back to Eq several months ago.

Let me tell you... I am a proper lady and I was like:"SoE, gimme back mah money you cuntz!"

It was dark, boring and outdated.

Just like anything that was once nearly almost very good -- not perfect -- it needs to get greased up again!

Not Eq-Next though. That's gonna be a hot mess, I am almost sure of it.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I've been playing EQ on and off since I was eight and I never knew that the beggar could actually be heard saying that...Does it still work now?

November

Lord Nagafen Raider
The madmen in Ro/Oasis said the copper thing, too. Freaky the first time you heard it since everything else was pretty silent.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still have the original tutorial that came with my Kunark disk. I wonder if I could install it, and run the tutorial without running the patcher.

elbas

Molten Core Raider
There was a way you could hack the tutorial to load any of the regular zones instead of that tutorial one. None of the NPCs or objects were there, but you could walk around and explore. I forget how to do it, but you did something to change the filename of the zone it loaded.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I used to play the tutorial over and over when the servers were down. EQ is a helluva drug.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I used that tutorial hack or something similar to scope out the plane of hate before it was released. I was really surprised to find that it was essentially neriak themed zone.

nawcor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I started to read this and was disappointed that I never knew about the tutorial, after seeing the start of the video I actually remembered doing it long ago before creating my first character. I definitely forgot all about it