Aradune Returns to EQ aka the EQ Nostalgia thread

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Only claim to game was porting out Erny Powers after he ninja looted the CoF on Veeshan. Many mad bros

Iwazaru_sl

shitlord
Ahh yes Raenewae, took a bus from Texas? to live with Pena in Florida. He was an ass, a talented ass, but an ass nonetheless. I do miss Krovax and the gang though.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
If I remember correctly you powerleved the first Froglok Cleric to lv 70 or 60 whatever the cap was at the time in like less than a day right? Fawy or something like that was the name. I remember following Harm

I played Xev as well, but I was nothing but a peon.
The Froglok wasn't mine technically, and it was named "Faahy". Basically my main was a Monk named "Fawy" and we had a Necro in guild named "Faah". So Faah had this idea to PL a froglok and did most of the work, he also named it "Faahy" I guess as a joke, but I had no input initially. Once Faah started PL'ing and doing so quite successfully, myself and another guild member joined in and aided the PL'ing.

I believe it was just under 2 days /played it took to get to max level @ PoP era (was it 65? 70? I forget). However, we also decided to get it the Cleric Epic and I believe it was 2 days and 1 Hour /played to be max level with Epic. The Epic required some farming, especially for Zordak, but I actually had 1/2 the Epic already farmed up on a lvl 35 cleric alt, so those pieces were done way in advance. Most people never knew how quests worked tbh, basically the LAST player to hand in items would get the Reward. So at the turn-in, my lvl 35 handed in the couple items 1st, and then the Froggy handed in the final components to get epic. There were so many rumors like epics were restricted to certain levels etc etc... All false.

I eventually dual-boxed the froggy for our raids the majority of the time, so in some ways it became my character... we had a lot of spare characters that would be dual boxed for raids. Back then guilds did whatever was necessary. Most of our cleric corps was dual-boxed. We also had some spare mages we'd camp in places for CoHs and other nonsense. EQ was fun in that you could do stuff like that imo. Games these days are too restrictive.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I think I've covered enough, I'll let Soy share some if he wants.
When Stasis pulled their mage past our raid in Vex Thal, I ran toward Aten Ha Ra's chamber(I think we were fighting mini-Aten when it happened) and ended up triggering the warders and trained both of our guilds, wiping out the entire zone. It was hilarious and frustrating at the same time. I loved EQ during those days, but looking back I'm not sure how the hell I had the passion to put up with all the late night/early morning raids to either cockblock or progress.

Dachande_sl

shitlord
There were so many rumors like epics were restricted to certain levels etc etc... All false.
They weren't at first, but they changed many of the quests to have a hidden level 46 flag. I did the SK epic during the end of Velious for my lvl 32 SK alt and it worked. A year or so later I tried it again with another SK alt that was lvl 11 and the final npc ate my items.

It was pretty funny when the GM appeared and handed the items to my main character that was a lvl 60 SK. I told him he gave them to the wrong character, and logged onto the lvl 11 one. I ended up selling the epic turn in items for $300 a couple weeks later.
wink.png

wink.png

wink.png

Dachande_sl

shitlord
DACH! You motha fucka. How are you doing? Haven't heard from you since you transferred to Drinal. Do you still talk to Team Kindred from AO?
Doing fine I guess. I don't talk to any of them since AO.

I played EQ from release until PoP. Luclin was the expansion that killed EQ, and PoP was just boring. I sold all my stuff and made thousands of dollars.

A couple of years later I started playing again, and eventually got banned so many times for trash talking and training people that they permanently banned my account.

Not too long after that I started another account purely to use ghost kill and other hacks. There was a group of us in Cats in Hats that all used these hacks, just not at raids. The hack Gestapo guys in the guild were morons as they never figured out how a lvl 20 SK had loot from Vex Thal. Or how you can go from lvl 1 to 70 with a thousand plus AA in less than a days playing time. Eventually, they figured out how to stop the fun hacks so I quit.

Edit: forgot to add that the best part about using hacks was that GMs knew all about it and used it on their own accounts. They would warp into zones all the time using the GM "invisible" mode and just watch.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Yah, I think people tend to forget over time what led to a lot of people wanting to jump to WoW (and there was a lot). I'm still not sure complete instancing is the way to go, or even phasing, but I never really got the hardon for the nonstop dicksmashing either. I have always wondered if it was less of an issue on the Zeks, or at least, if having a means to directly duke it out had any effect of the cockblocking or if it just added fuel to the fire. That's probably one of the few things that would make me even consider a server like that, if my only other option was the throttled content PVE server clusterfucks.
When I quit VZ for WoW, there were two main alliances who'd fight it out for mobs: Defiant, Zephyros, Aerist vs. Ancient Dawn, Aduentus, Dark Defiant Warriors. What made it great were the player enforced rules. If you zoned out of a zone where pvp was occuring, you were on LnS for 1 hour, no battle rezzing, and if you died, no rushing, just grab your body and LnS for an hour. If pathers aggro, people would help each other inter-guild to kill 'em before resuming pvp. Yes, people violated the rules, but for the most part, rules were adhered to in zerg vs zerg fight.

To this day, my experiences on VZ have colored me to thinking pvp is the best resolution for finite camps.

Doing fine I guess. I don't talk to any of them since AO.

I played EQ from release until PoP. Luclin was the expansion that killed EQ, and PoP was just boring. I sold all my stuff and made thousands of dollars.

A couple of years later I started playing again, and eventually got banned so many times for trash talking and training people that they permanently banned my account.

Not too long after that I started another account purely to use ghost kill and other hacks. There was a group of us in Cats in Hats that all used these hacks, just not at raids. The hack Gestapo guys in the guild were morons as they never figured out how a lvl 20 SK had loot from Vex Thal. Or how you can go from lvl 1 to 70 with a thousand plus AA in less than a days playing time. Eventually, they figured out how to stop the fun hacks so I quit.

Edit: forgot to add that the best part about using hacks was that GMs knew all about it and used it on their own accounts. They would warp into zones all the time using the GM "invisible" mode and just watch.
slayer / no delay were fucking godly. we had a little crew and did coa, omm included, sverag stuff, daosheen, hell we even did demiplane and frostcrypt. i was able to kite hatchet around with bard DA while the sk used nodelay and dpsing him down with 2.0 click. it was so much fun. that period of time i think it was in spring-fall of 2007 ruined eq for awhile for me. after they permanently fixed that code i couldnt play eq until recently. i had a fucking great time exploiting alot of that content. i heard some people eve nodelayed solteris raids. we never tried that, but i saw solt geared chars for sale left and right on playerauctions for a time.

hell i remember when corruption serverwide broadcasted on the eqlive servers to to check out corruptionplugins.com. that era of eq was rife with fucking hacks lol. free versions of the $250 lifetime-issued nodelay or slayer circulated for free

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
No,really. Best acclaimed, playerbase loved it, made them the least money. This just goes to show something, although I'm sure I don't know what
I can't say as I'm entirely surprised. If you were to compare the features of Kunark versus Velious, Velious would look absolutely sparse. No level cap increase, no new race, fewer zones, content focused on a narrower level range, etc. Not to mention, it came out so soon after Kunark, that most people were still busy playing there. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the expansion, but I can see where a person who hadn't been playing the game for long wouldn't really see the point in getting Velious.

Nakunaru

Golden Knight of the Realm
When I quit VZ for WoW, there were two main alliances who'd fight it out for mobs: Defiant, Zephyros, Aerist vs. Ancient Dawn, Aduentus, Dark Defiant Warriors. What made it great were the player enforced rules. If you zoned out of a zone where pvp was occuring, you were on LnS for 1 hour, no battle rezzing, and if you died, no rushing, just grab your body and LnS for an hour. If pathers aggro, people would help each other inter-guild to kill 'em before resuming pvp. Yes, people violated the rules, but for the most part, rules were adhered to in zerg vs zerg fight.

To this day, my experiences on VZ have colored me to thinking pvp is the best resolution for finite camps.
It was more like Defiant vs Zeph vs Aduentus + DDW, vs AD vs Torrent, and then Defiant started letting darkies in and took a few Torrent members. But, VZ was a fun place to PVP and fight over zone / mob camps.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I can't say as I'm entirely surprised. If you were to compare the features of Kunark versus Velious, Velious would look absolutely sparse. No level cap increase, no new race, fewer zones, content focused on a narrower level range, etc. Not to mention, it came out so soon after Kunark, that most people were still busy playing there. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the expansion, but I can see where a person who hadn't been playing the game for long wouldn't really see the point in getting Velious.
Kunark was great but for end-game it was really sparse.. you had VS, Trak and VP... The outdoor dragons were good, too.

Velious had sooo much more... Dain, Tormax, Yelinak, Sleepers, ToV (3 wings of raid content), Plane of Mischief and Plane of Growth, Avatar of War, the Ring War, Zlandicar, the WW dragons, etc.

Also Velious with 3 factions, eventually every high end guild became Giant aligned due to NToV, but I know my guild initially befriended the Dragons.

Zacx_sl

shitlord
That'd be AN right? Your name sounds vaguely familiar. I remember going to a guild meet up in Sydney, some ranger hosted it but I can't remember his name. I was like 17 or 18 at the time, I've still got pics around here somewhere on an old HDD. I'm pretty sure I was a total dork and didn't say more than 2 words. I can't remember the guild leaders name.. someone told me to call him skeletor or some shit. Anyway, he and a bunch of others were gonna go drinking afterwards but I bailed to go home and play EQ. I can't believe what a social misfit I was..

You played a magician or wizard, right?

Anyway..

Before I transferred to The Tribunal, I played on Ayonae Ro. That server had some great drama. I use to team up with another druid (forget his name) and train Palimax's guild all the time. I joined his guild for a short time before being kicked out. This is before they merged into Vallis Aspectus or Vision? I can't remember, it's such a long time ago. I got kicked out of another guild, the GM was a member on the old FoH forum. Forget his name.. Gray something? guild name was Steel something or something Steel. I joined and complained they never did shit, I'm pretty sure I got booted for that.

There was also an enchanter I use to think of as Michael Jordan.. rimidalv.. took me ages to realise what it was backwards. I remember him abruptly quitting because of his parents and his play time or some shit and his account was ebayed/PA'd. Pretty sure he was a member of the old FoH forum as well.
lol dude wtf, I'm your Michael Jordan right here, who were you? were you also in AN?
haha can't believe the things people remember...
I'm from New Zealand so I didn't go to the Sydney AN meetup or anything like that, was too young for my parents to let me travel overseas for shit like that
smile.png

I quit in March 2003, had to go to uni and all that jazz, and there was no hope I could do anything with my life unless I quit cold turkey. Had a good 8 year break until new progression servers came out... played as Rimidal on Fippy for a while also, but quit after Planes of Power again

then created this new username when the FoH boards went down and I started playing on the Al'Kabor server

smile.png

smile.png

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
slayer / no delay were fucking godly. we had a little crew and did coa, omm included, sverag stuff, daosheen, hell we even did demiplane and frostcrypt. i was able to kite hatchet around with bard DA while the sk used nodelay and dpsing him down with 2.0 click. it was so much fun. that period of time i think it was in spring-fall of 2007 ruined eq for awhile for me. after they permanently fixed that code i couldnt play eq until recently. i had a fucking great time exploiting alot of that content. i heard some people eve nodelayed solteris raids. we never tried that, but i saw solt geared chars for sale left and right on playerauctions for a time.

hell i remember when corruption serverwide broadcasted on the eqlive servers to to check out corruptionplugins.com. that era of eq was rife with fucking hacks lol. free versions of the $250 lifetime-issued nodelay or slayer circulated for free
Some guys on FV killed the final event in Solteris with hacks about 1 week before we were able to kill it legit with Fire and Fury. Took the first kill titles and everything. I had to email SKlug to get the event reset so we could get our titles.

They were selling Solteris final event gear in the baz and bragging about it.

Daybringer title ya? It was pretty easy to tell who was a user during that period of time, they all had the same gear. As for them being so blatant about it- they've got balls. I assume they did it with fresh accounts, but I thought SoE could ban by IP. We used accounts, mostly our main accounts, so we would be extra careful and try to run at like 3am to catch GMs off guard. Toward the end of the ND / slayer road, we had a GM zone in on us at CoA entrance. He gave simply gave us a warning and rerolled us a day or so behind.

It was so out of hand you'd see noobs in Wall of Slaugter ghosting Hulcror at peak hours wit people grouping close by haha.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Daybringer yes. The funny part is they could not even keep it secret if they wanted to. The first time Solteris is completed it changed the sky in Norrath from red back to normal, and the red skeletons stopped popping in every zone. Also, you can pull up items on /trader to see if they have dropped on the server yet.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
We had the normal cybering of officers and wives that was prevalent in EQ, some of which spilled over into the real world. There was Thogg who should of won the Warrior BotB but the GM's wouldn't give him time to let his disciplines reset. The Talisman / Vae Inimicus split wasn't the friendliest. We fought for top dog though Luclin to include attempts to KS Ssra Blood to claim rights to Emp as well as some VT shenanigans. Though Talisman won in the end when Vae folded around PoP timeframe I still believe the core of Vae were better players. Plenty of US / Euro / Asian timezone hate to go around. As well as infighting and prick waiving for all the second and third tier guilds, Cynosure, Pia Fidelis, Divine Crusade?. Was fun all in all, just looking to see if I could bait some people I may know out into the open.

Edit: O, and I think we had the necro responsible for the level limit on old world dragons when he solo'd Nagafen to prove he could in front of a GM.
Kind of random for me I wasn't involved with Tunare at all but way after the fact EQ got brought up around some friends up here in Mpls and turns out a pretty close one was at least at one point the Talisman guild leader. He played a monk named Southern and then a wizard named Redrover. Anyway he and I get drunk and rehash old EQ stories all the time. Really cool dude. He grew up and has zero interest in games these days though.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Kunark was great but for end-game it was really sparse.. you had VS, Trak and VP... The outdoor dragons were good, too.

Velious had sooo much more... Dain, Tormax, Yelinak, Sleepers, ToV (3 wings of raid content), Plane of Mischief and Plane of Growth, Avatar of War, the Ring War, Zlandicar, the WW dragons, etc.

Also Velious with 3 factions, eventually every high end guild became Giant aligned due to NToV, but I know my guild initially befriended the Dragons.
While all that content was there, and you are right that Kunark had less pure raid content, some of the stuff you list for Velious isnt as much as it sounds. For example ToV, 3 wings of raid content is true but what exactlly was in the west and east wing? One dragon each and a ton of trash to grind through that dropped some quest items. Although I gotta say this might be the nostalgia glasses talking but I see high points in every expansion I played (up to GoD), even if I cursed at the low points while drudging through them.