Arcane

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
We get 1hr 20 min of show every week for 3 weeks, how's that a long time?

I'm surprised Netflix is allowing this batch release tbh. Seems to be a good hybrid between full release day 1 and episodic release.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I honestly can't believe how good that was. I figured it would be decent but this blew my away. I didn't catch a lot of the easter eggs but I've been reading up on them and I'm really impressed how they've tied it all together even with multi-year old voice lines/interactions from the game that now make sense with context. This is an absolute must-watch.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I don't know anything about LoL or it's lore, nor do I give a fuck.

This was great regardless.

I'd watch it for the art alone, even if everything else sucked. Everything else is also top notch though - voice acting, story, animation.

Two thumbs up.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
While the marketing has been good in the gaming world (internationally) the overall distro hasn't been as saturated. This is fine as word-of-mouth will do amazing things for this series. I know that I'm telling everyone I know to watch the damn thing.

I don't think people are quite yet grasping what a 'throw down the gauntlet' moment this is for animation in general. Fortiche Studio has come outta left field and has just raised the overall bar in a significant way. They did the some music videos (KDA/Pop Stars and other LOL stuff) and opening cinematics for games like Wildstar and Agents of Mayhem which were fine. They did that Rocket and Groot series for Disney XD (which was okay...) and now this. I'd have been impressed with a 30 min 'extended short' that used this style. The fact that this painting-style was done using 3d rigging with a more specialized texturing / rendering engine that allows them to do 9 episodes is bonkers.

I know Riot took some flack for not going with a Korean studio given the popularity of the game in SE Asia, but they clearly made a great choice. I bet there are more than a few studio creative directors having a Monday morning "WTF" meeting today.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
It's nice to see a new animation style - a more adult animation... as opposed to the Anime & Disney styles we see for children everywhere.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
We get 1hr 20 min of show every week for 3 weeks, how's that a long time?

I'm surprised Netflix is allowing this batch release tbh. Seems to be a good hybrid between full release day 1 and episodic release.
If I can’t marathon shit, it’s too long of a wait.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
While the marketing has been good in the gaming world (internationally) the overall distro hasn't been as saturated. This is fine as word-of-mouth will do amazing things for this series. I know that I'm telling everyone I know to watch the damn thing.

I don't think people are quite yet grasping what a 'throw down the gauntlet' moment this is for animation in general. Fortiche Studio has come outta left field and has just raised the overall bar in a significant way. They did the some music videos (KDA/Pop Stars and other LOL stuff) and opening cinematics for games like Wildstar and Agents of Mayhem which were fine. They did that Rocket and Groot series for Disney XD (which was okay...) and now this. I'd have been impressed with a 30 min 'extended short' that used this style. The fact that this painting-style was done using 3d rigging with a more specialized texturing / rendering engine that allows them to do 9 episodes is bonkers.

I know Riot took some flack for not going with a Korean studio given the popularity of the game in SE Asia, but they clearly made a great choice. I bet there are more than a few studio creative directors having a Monday morning "WTF" meeting today.
They aren't coming out of left field, they've been doing this for years. They're famous for that custom shader they use to produce that painterly effect; it's a combination of machine learning and hand-painted textures over 3D:

They've been creating cinematics with Riot since long before their big music video collaboration for one of the LoL world championships. Most recently the entirety of LoL's card game art and cinematics were done with the filter. As was the runeterra release trailer and the individual faction story intros.

Ever since ghostcrawler's confirmed that they've been working on a LoL MMORPG, it seems all these cinematics and even perhaps the entire Runeterra game itself was just table-setting for the worldbuilding for that MMO:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, watched the first 3 last night. Wasn't expecting much, but was bored and trying something different. Don't know the LoL lore, only played that game a couple of times back when it first came out.

Fucking amazing show. Great story, great animation, great artistic detail. And the end of that third episode pulled no punches whatsoever. Wow.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
It's doing well, debuting at #9 on US Netflix for its release weekend and #1 for 38 other territories (US Netflix is cancer).

But Netflix will almost certainly sign up for a few more seasons after Arcane sweeps every animation award in existence, including the Emmys.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It's doing well, debuting at #9 on US Netflix for its release weekend and #1 for 38 other territories (US Netflix is cancer).

But Netflix will almost certainly sign up for a few more seasons after Arcane sweeps every animation award in existence, including the Emmys.
I don’t know anything about the politics of being nominated for an Emmy, let alone being awarded one, but an animated series based on a vidya game strikes me as a long shot.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I don’t know anything about the politics of being nominated for an Emmy, let alone being awarded one, but an animated series based on a vidya game strikes me as a long shot.
I get what you're saying, but last year's Emmy winner for Animation was Tartakovsky's Primal (South Park and Bob's Burgers have been previous nominees). They can't say that the award should be restricted to hand-drawn animation or for broadcast-only shows either, since Star Wars Rebels has won the Emmy before.

If consideration for the Emmy even minimally regards the technical quality of the animation for a Television show, then it would be supremely awkward if Arcane isn't nominated and doesn't win; it's just that revolutionary on TV. Hell, Arcane is now Netflix's highest-rated original series:

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
You wanna see a toxic fan base like no other if they woke it up? League fans are on another level. They have angry midgets on their side (hi2u tyler1). Don't think they will though, with Asia being far and away Riot's most successful market, and their majority (correct me if I'm wrong here) shareholding by Tencent, such faggotry will not be allowed.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Tyler1 was spotted at the Arcane premiere in Hollywood, actually. He's still toxic as hell but Riot knows which side their bread is buttered on. At least he was wearing some part of a tux with his usual guido gymrat wifebeater look.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The animation in this show is scary good, like mind boggling good. The voice acting is superb as well. There is something odd about Jayce though, everytime he was on screen, I was sure I'd seen some actor that looks very very similar, as if they took that actor and just copied him into the series.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
The animation in this show is scary good, like mind boggling good. The voice acting is superb as well. There is something odd about Jayce though, everytime he was on screen, I was sure I'd seen some actor that looks very very similar, as if they took that actor and just copied him into the series.

his character (at least in League) looks JUST like original Evil Dead era Bruce Campbell

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
First impression from someone who knows nothing for LoL lore, nor have I ever played the game. First 3 episodes were really solid, I am usually not a fan of the anime Netflix produces but this style worked really well and it was very fluid top notch animation you can tell some actual money was spent on it. Not knowing the characters or any of the background didn't detract from the enjoyment so far, and you get a solid feel for the world building. Only complaint I have is waiting to watch more, really looking froward to the rest of this and if it lives up to the first 3 then this will be one of the better shows produced on Netflix.

9.5/10 so far.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Fadaar

That guy
Assuming this whole thing is going to culminate in what Jinx did to earn her massive notoriety. Shits gonna be crazy.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
We'll start finding out on Saturday. Time jump right into E4 it looks like:

But yeah, she's basically a female Joker with itty bitty titties and a chaingun.

• 1Like