Arcane

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
So this was surprisingly good, looking forward to more episodes this weekend.

It's surreal to see a multimedia powerhouse grow from a custom WC3 map that my friends and I played in college. I'm not a "fan" of all of it, but I respect the maximum effort approach. They could've half-assed a series and gotten by on existing popularity but are instead spending the money and time to do it right.

Man do I fucking hate Imagine Dragons though. I don't think I've ever skipped an intro sequence faster.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
They've been doing original music on a whole other level since that first Jinx video.

They once decided to sell kpop themed skins around the time BTS got huge in the west and they created a fake kpop band with LoL champions. To promote the skins they made a fake kpop video that saw like half a billion views and was playing on the radio in Asia. It rose to the top of charts and made #1 in Itunes' global listings.

The video was made during their runeterra/custom painterly shader era too, so it's a precursor of the Arcane animation style:

That video did so well that they actually released a legit album with the band and that's risen to the top of the charts too. The animation is more conventional 3D though; possibly because it's meant to introduce a Chinese singer into the band:

Always wondered what the story was behind that after seeing it in Beat Saber.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just finished watching the 3 new episodes, as expected there is a time jump.

I really like the episodes, but it’s the middle act and as such it expanding the story, characters and lore and setting things up for the final act, so there isn’t much payoff in these 3 episode. That said, it was still really good and has me really exciting about how it‘s all going to end. I feel the final 3 episodes will have a lot of cool stuff happening and while some is somewhat predictable like where Viktor will end up, I’m curious to see it happening. I’m not so sure what will happen with Jinx, she’s seriously fucked up, I hope they don’t do a redeemable story with her…I want her to stay fucked up.

I think this middle act will be better when we have the final act and the payoff for what’s it setting up.

Art, animation, music and VO are still top notch as expected.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So good. Can't wait for the last 3. This a 1 season and done series or will it be expanded?

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I figure even if this is a self-contained story they will do another season with a different storyline from LoL. This has to be very lucrative for them.

Watched episode 4 and I'm trying to ration the rest... we will see if my willpower is up to snuff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I figure even if this is a self-contained story they will do another season with a different storyline from LoL. This has to be very lucrative for them.

Watched episode 4 and I'm trying to ration the rest... we will see if my willpower is up to snuff.
Good luck!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This may not be a timeless story of the human condition like Deadwood or The Wire, but it's gotta be among the best animated shows ever made. I'm way too hyped for the final 3 episodes.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

Actually kindof doubt it is profitable. This is a super high budget animation. Look at all the cartoon network, etc animated shows that all get cancelled due to lack of toy sales.
so ok the toy here is the LoL brand. runeterra, lol, etc.. but, who isn't already playing? its not like normal toy sales selling toys to established fans. this is just selling what, more skins?

second set slows the story WAY down. funny for how breakneck first set was.

going in, I was wondering if they were going to push the story past where it is in the game. give some jinx/vi conclusion. going into ep 6. at this point, I'm not sure how they can.

they could easily do another full season of zaun/piltover. alot of the corruption in the aristocracy things I mentioned. A few of those side characters I mentioned. Noxis interference, assassins, mercs. Janna the wind spirit, is part of Zaun/piltover lore as well. Jhin is a Piltover serial killer. hextech and Runes. Rhyze's whole deal is protecting runes. he probably would have issues with hextech mimicing runic magic. Runic magic capable of destroying the world. so hextech versus magic is certainly a way it could go.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Actually kindof doubt it is profitable. This is a super high budget animation. Look at all the cartoon network, etc animated shows that all get cancelled due to lack of toy sales.
so ok the toy here is the LoL brand. runeterra, lol, etc.. but, who isn't already playing? its not like normal toy sales selling toys to established fans. this is just selling what, more skins?

second set slows the story WAY down. funny for how breakneck first set was.

going in, I was wondering if they were going to push the story past where it is in the game. give some jinx/vi conclusion. going into ep 6. at this point, I'm not sure how they can.

they could easily do another full season of zaun/piltover. alot of the corruption in the aristocracy things I mentioned. A few of those side characters I mentioned. Noxis interference, assassins, mercs. Janna the wind spirit, is part of Zaun/piltover lore as well. Jhin is a Piltover serial killer. hextech and Runes. Rhyze's whole deal is protecting runes. he probably would have issues with hextech mimicing runic magic. Runic magic capable of destroying the world. so hextech versus magic is certainly a way it could go.

They've been making cinematics and films using this "painterly" shader look to maintain a consistent design language across the whole LoL brand. The thing is, the shaders used in the Arcane series isn't even the most impressive. In the show each frame looks like a hand-painted piece of concept art, but their most impressive use of it produces individual frames that look like oil paintings:

And all those cinematics were produced as branding support material with no expectation of immediate profit or media partners who have their own expectations (like Netflix). Riot has been producing these assets, TFT, Runeterra and even their upcoming fighting game called project L:

They all use the same consistent character designs and the same design language as Arcane to lay the groundwork for Riot's upcoming MMO.

Last edited:

Caliane

Didn't link it originally, cause I didn't think it was directly related previously. I don't think the ep2 rune mage was Ryze. but, this tells of Hiemerdingers vision, and why he noped out.
The rune wars destroyed civilizations. and its why Demacia outlaws magic.

• 2Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I'm thinking if they do another season it would see delegations from Demacia show up in Piltover to demand restrictions on Hextech while Noxus sends a rival delegation demanding Piltover share it with the poors of the world.

By the "present time" in LoL/Runeterra Hextech is everywhere and even Noxus street urchins are using it.

Caliane

yeah, there were a number of Noxian hints throughout. The Ravens might even be Swain spies..

Also, Mel Jayce's councilwomen is an OC. pretty sure Jayce/Caitlyn are a thing previously. Mel is awfully young for how Machiavellian as she acts. theres some theory's on her being Leblanc.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
This may not be a timeless story of the human condition like Deadwood or The Wire, but it's gotta be among the best animated shows ever made. I'm way too hyped for the final 3 episodes.
Yeah easily one of the best animated anythings I've ever seen. Best thing on Netflix now for sure.

Only bad thing is that they didn't manage to release their MMO or even their ARPG in time for the show.... I really want to play in the show's world somehow and LoL ain't cutting it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

They need to stick the landing before we can really talk best, or whatever.

theres some weaknesses in the storytelling here and there. this set had those psuedo-music video segments, which ate into time that could have been better spent.

Castlevania nailed its finales. Both s1, and even the later one were solid. like s1. Bloodytears and "I'm killing my boy".

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I wasn't that impressed with the animation on Castlevania enough to stick with it for more than a season. But even without Arcane's final act I'm ok with talking about it as the best animated anything I've ever seen on Netflix.

The script is spare and disciplined enough to sneak in that one music-video montage as an establishing shot for the gambling den scene. But what's remarkable isn't that the show barely overstays its tropes and archtypes, it's how well cramming these decade-old DOTA cartoon champions into those narrative tropes worked and it somehow manages to flesh out compelling and relatable characters out of them.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Animated Jinx is leagues better than live action Harley. I will agree that the finish needs to be solid and avoid a dip in quality, then it will deserve all the awards it will get.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It's been good so far and one of the better animations on Netflix, I wouldn't go tongue bathing their balls as OMG best ever made hype that's just retarded, but they defiantly set a high bar and lived up to that standard. I had no idea the story was so fleshed out for a MOBA but it seems like LOL lore is pretty deep and so far I am bought in and want to know more. A thought Jinx was suppose to be ultra insane as someone mentioned she's like a female Joker but I haven't gotten that impression yet, unless there is something to happen now that drives her nutty. The last 3 episodes is clearly going to be a conflict between the upper and lower so I am amped to see how wild the last 3 are.

So again coming from someone who hasn't done the game how many characters from this series are playable ones in the game?

Also why is nobody listening to the Ancient Immortal super wise Hamster? They hype him up to be the a deep well of knowledge and then everyones like fuck off little gerbil you're dumb.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Animated Jinx is leagues better than live action Harley. I will agree that the finish needs to be solid and avoid a dip in quality, then it will deserve all the awards it will get.
Prolly aging myself but I'm pretty sure Jinx was more supposed to be LoL's copy of Tank Girl than Harley Quinn. Jinx's been around for about 8-10 years now but I doubt anyone who plays LoL would remember the Tank Girl comics or even the movie. Least of all the vast majority of the Chinese and Brazilian players who made tencent a 500-billion-dollar company.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So again coming from someone who hasn't done the game how many characters from this series are playable ones in the game?
All the main focus characters are playable champions plus a few side characters like Ekko, the kid from Benzo's. The teleportation mage is assumed to be Ryze, credits list the researcher as Singed, and even the gerbil is a champion.

Last edited: