Arcane

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The facial animation for this show is an absolute masterclass.

0:07+ in your clip, the very first scene in the show when Vi and Powder saw their dead mother, totally sold me. Vi flashing through a half dozen expressions in a second with a more mature grief struggling to keep her shit together, and how Powder's demeanor crumpled inward in exactly the same overwhlemed, tentative cascade as my 5 year old daughter. I immediately knew I was in for a real ride. Fucking brilliant.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
0:07+ in your clip, the very first scene in the show when Vi and Powder saw their dead mother, totally sold me. Vi with a more mature grief struggling to keep her shit together, and how Powder's face crumpled in exactly the same tentative cascade as my 5 year old daughter. Fucking brilliant.
That entire intro was wordless except for baby Jinx's nursery rhyme too. In a couple short minutes the show told a story of crippling inequality, civil unrest, desperation and futility with no words uttered except a kids' song about poor children inviting their rich friends over to visit:

And then, seven episodes later, we get a reversal of the situation. This time it's Jinx walking out of the mist to execute an enforcer on the ground. But she's humming that exact same tune.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That entire intro was wordless except for baby Jinx's nursery rhyme too. Within less than a minute the show told a story of crippling inequality, civil unrest and futility with no words uttered except a kids' song about poor children inviting their rich friends over to visit.

And then, seven episodes later, we get a reversal of the situation. This time it's Jinx walking out of the mist to execute an enforcer on the ground. But she's humming that exact same tune.

Damn, I didn't even notice this one.

The more you pay attention the better it gets.

• 1Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider

Lol, I'm going through that now as my friend makes his way through the show. We had a conversation about he wishes more damage was done to the officer to further push the idea of Jinx being a scary force for the audience(keep in mind he hasn't watch 8 yet which shows the day time full shot of the damage, literal brains on the floor levels). Upon looking back, we both noticed that his arm was blown off, there is like a .5 second flash of brightness but for the rest its in the shadow.. while the focus is on Caitlyn trying to stand backup.

I flipped over to see what all was in store for him on ep8, since its kind of the crescendo of the show.. I noticed without thinking about it the first time for me atleast, the juxtaposition of experience between Vi and Caitlyn comfortably in the bed reminiscing about the past which cuts from Vi to Jinx while shes going through nightmare transformation. I'm sure it's not groundbreaking/hidden for most but looking at it cinematically is just really pleasant.. at the time I was just tranced and just absorbing the show for the show rather than the minor cinematic details.

Also, personally.. I love that they literally made some of the background characters with some really cool design and unique detail to where they don't feel like an after thought.. even more so than some of the main characters.. but in fairness a lot of these main characters have had their design for 8-10 years. Shit even that golden jaw goon.. they did a preview for a2 which just showed him looming over like a bad ass, but then we get to the show where he is delivering the speech.. and he sounds super annoying, you can hear the literal lisp from the fact he has a implant. Immediately reminded me the minor lisp you hear people who wear grills when they talk.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Also, personally.. I love that they literally made some of the background characters with some really cool design and unique detail to where they don't feel like an after thought.. even more so than some of the main characters.. but in fairness a lot of these main characters have had their design for 8-10 years. Shit even that golden jaw goon.. they did a preview for a2 which just showed him looming over like a bad ass, but then we get to the show where he is delivering the speech.. and he sounds super annoying, you can hear the literal lisp from the fact he has a implant. Immediately reminded me the minor lisp you hear people who wear grills when they talk.

That guy was voiced by Japanese rockstar Miyavi, his accent isn't usually that thick but they made him exaggerate it for the role. I'm curious how they replicated that same effect for other language tracks with other voice actors.

Miyavi is actually the third real-world musical act that was animated into the show. Imagine Dragons and Ray Chen being the others.

Ray Chen was the violinist in the Piltover Opera House scene and he scored the show's entire orchestral soundtrack. He's also credited along with Sting for the last song in the show. The instrumental version of the Bridge song was Ray Chen's violin:

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Can we all agree this series would be a 10/10 if it wasn't for that Imagine Dragons opening at the start of every episode.

• 6Worf
  • 5Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 14 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Can we all agree this series would be a 10/10 if it wasn't for that Imagine Dragons opening at the start of every episode.
I hated the imagine dragon parts too. Thank God for the intro skip button.

• 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Started re-watching this (haha) and man, I can't get over how good the world building is in this show. If it didn't have the "League of Legands Story" tagline under Arcane, I'd never know it was attached to a game universe. In other words, this show was so good that it feels like it could set up a video game franchise, not the other way around. I can't think of any other single piece of games related media that does for the Riot universe what Arcane does. It's really a shame they make not a single game in a genre that interests me - yet. The idea of an MMO in this world that could somehow manage to capture the "tone/vibe" of this show is hard to believe but if they spent this much time perfecting this show, I suppose it's hard to doubt them. A single player story driven RPG in Piltover? Sky is the limit. It's like a bunch of really talented people saw what Blizzard was attempting around Titan, and then actually took the time and effort to do it the right way. Hopefully that translates into something special in the gaming space, because their new Steam game (watching a few streams) looks very meh to me and the fighting game holds zero appeal to me as well.
Looking back, the Scrapping of Titan into Overwatch really feels like the true beginning of the end for Blizzard. Let's see if Riot can roll forward as a Gaming entity into what Blizzard failed to achieve.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I have now resorted to extortion to get people to watch this.

Do you write for Forbes?

That critic has been shilling hard for Arcane so you kinda know what to expect. But he throws some shade on Princess Switch 3 and Red Notice along the way so he's alright.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Great show. I'd have zero complaints if it wasn't for all the gay music.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Great show. I'd have zero complaints if it wasn't for all the gay music.

I like how they leaned into their music choices. They knew that it would alienate some people and would only narrow their audience, but they double- and tripled-down on what they felt was their own voice.

There's integrity in that. Even if you hated the music, the audience can tell when authors are compromising their work for shallow reasons. I don't think Arcane would've been as good as it was if they didn't have that integrity.

Hell, that's what's missing from all the other failed videogame adaptations. Without that sort of self-respect, you get caricatures of the source material, which is what we usually get.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I like how they leaned into their music choices. They knew that it would alienate some people and would only narrow their audience, but they double- and tripled-down on what they felt was their own voice.

There's integrity in that. Even if you hated the music, the audience can tell when authors are compromising their work for shallow reasons. I don't think Arcane would've been as good as it was if they didn't have that integrity.

Hell, that's what's missing from all the other failed videogame adaptations. Without that sort of self-respect, you get caricatures of the source material, which is what we usually get.
a3wqGWv_460s.jpg

• 1Worf

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Hailee Steinfeld plays Vi and is also in Hawkeye.

Ep. 3 of Hawkeye mentions Imagine Dragons

MCU + Riot Games confirmed?

This video is ass btw

• 1Barf

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I forgot she was Vi too. Hawkeye, Spiderverse and Arcane...she is really having a moment.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

There’s a lot of little shit like that. One thing I read is the voice actor for jinx is listed as powder until the final episode, only then is she listed as Jinx. Confirming Powder is gone (Which the chair scene did anyway) Not something I’d notice cause I don’t watch the credits but the little details like that really make this shit stand out.

• 2Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I forgot she was Vi too. Hawkeye, Spiderverse and Arcane...she is really having a moment.

If you asked a woman, they'd be surprised she was in any of those; or that she was nominated for an Oscar for True Grit.

But they'd love her anyway because they binged Dickinson.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
They released the Arcane Ekko skin, which they had ready along with the other Arcane skins like Jayce, Vi and Jinx's. Pretty cool that they held back on it till a few weeks after the finale to avoid the spoiler.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
This was alright for me. The quality of the animation was amazing, the story moved a little slow and usually that wouldn't bother me but for some reason it did this time. It felt a little Dragonball Zish with the buildup to payoffs.

The world building was more limited than I expected from what you guys were saying but still really good. Ok, plot and characters. Just alright for me.

Maybe I'm hitting the wall on heroic females as a believable character. When she put on her dad's gloves and beat up a bunch of people...yeah. Jinx was a better character. I'll probably watch the next season because I liked where they left it but I'm going to be looking forward to other anime stuff much more.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users