Arcane

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This was alright for me. The quality of the animation was amazing, the story moved a little slow and usually that wouldn't bother me but for some reason it did this time. It felt a little Dragonball Zish with the buildup to payoffs.

The world building was more limited than I expected from what you guys were saying but still really good. Ok, plot and characters. Just alright for me.

Maybe I'm hitting the wall on heroic females as a believable character. When she put on her dad's gloves and beat up a bunch of people...yeah. Jinx was a better character. I'll probably watch the next season because I liked where they left it but I'm going to be looking forward to other anime stuff much more.
Jinx is believable cause she's just as bat shit insane with daddy issues galore, as most of the women Ive met in real life.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
There’s a lot of little shit like that.

Yep. On another rewatch I got the sense that scene where Vander holds Silco's face up to his felt more significant somehow. It turned out to be another subtle piece of duality and foreshadowing:

arcane siblings.png

The show has these moments all over the place for the two or three attentive viewers who aren't flipping between the show and their phones. It establishes Silco's sympathy for Powder without needing to add more monologue for him.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yep. On another rewatch I got the sense that scene where Vander holds Silco's face up to his felt more significant somehow. It turned out to be another subtle piece of duality and foreshadowing:

View attachment 387117

The show has these moments all over the place for the two or three attentive viewers who aren't flipping between the show and their phones. It establishes Silco's sympathy for Powder without needing to write four or five more lines for him.
I’m rewatching now with my wife and it’s definitely a lot more powerful the second time. There are some scenes that have a lot more meaning once you know what’s coming.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

View attachment 387117

The show has these moments all over the place for the two or three attentive viewers who aren't flipping between the show and their phones. It establishes Silco's sympathy for Powder without needing to add more monologue for him.
I don't know how to take screenshots off netflix... but, its mirrored again with Jynx and Silco. ep. 7 20:33- The scene where she's on top of him, grabbing his face, and gives him the Eye jab. the profile shot is reversed. likely to show the flipped power dynamics. as in this version Jynx is on top... but Silco is doing the talking. telling her shes family, its just them, etc..
but the face grab, for the eye injection shot is spot on. its intentional.

the boats is noticed by most..
easily overlooked... the girl is Sky. the others call out her name.
episode 8. viktor runs at the dock "outrunning the boats". Which immediately goes into Sky, talking to herself, practicing what shes going to say to Viktor.. as she enters his lab..

I think shad might be right about Clangor being Vanders actual kid as well. The way he casually takes Clangor along to Benzo's with the loot, and asks for an explanation of what happened. Vi gets the attention as the oldest, and the one in charge. But theres a subtle intimacy hinted there with Clangor.
He does look towards Clangor first in the finale of ep3. but does look at each of the kids. gets up to fight when he hears Vi alive and crying.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know how to take screenshots off netflix... but, its mirrored again with Jynx and Silco. ep. 7 20:33- The scene where she's on top of him, grabbing his face, and gives him the Eye jab.

Switch to the browser Vivaldi and it has a screenshot and crop tool (all in one) on the bottom bar, right side (looks like a little camera). I love the feature and the browser is worth it for that alone.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
I thought this was all obvious tbh.

Clangor to me was Vander's real kid, much bigger than the other kids, and seems to have a bond with Vander that goes beyond the others (when he takes him with him etc, and ya the fact he looks first at where clangor is in the debris etc)

Sky was Viktor's childhood friend, and she's been in love with him ever since. And ya the boat thing I noticed as well.

There's so much shit going on in this show that if you blink or just watch it once you will miss it.

It's pretty clear to me that Vander is also Warwick. The still of singed looking at the wall and we see claws and a big frame hanging there. The in game interactions of WW with jinx and vi, the bio of WW on the LoL site, all of this seems to be pointing to it being a pretty good guess.

Vander was also the 'hound of the underground'.

Wonderin what the back 'armor' lightning up on Mel as the rocket is about to hit means. Most likely their way out of wiping the whole council off.

Who is the Noxxian who killed mel's brother? A door open to introduce Darius? Draven? Swain. So many fucking ways to expand this in season 2.

Caitlin has Ionian blood as well. Her Dad looks Asian which is a clear mark of Ionia in League lore.

Who is the mage who saved Jayce? Some rando? Ryze? Since he teleported them Ryze comes to mind immediately. Where the fuck were they? Freljord? Possible tie with it?

During the scene where VI hits powder, When she gets close to her again powder recoils in fear, making VI snap back to reality and look at her hands and distance herself from Powder.

Vi calls Powder Powpow at some point, if i'm not mistaken that's the name of one of jinx' guns

Last edited:
  • 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah Cait being Ionian is a clever way to retcon her asian VA into the show. I mained Cait for a couple years and never got the impression she was Asian.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Some cosplays for this are pretty cringe.

But not the Russian ones. Never the Russian ones.

Pretty sure that cosplayer farms the weirdboner reaction for a living.

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Who is the Noxxian who killed mel's brother? A door open to introduce Darius? Draven? Swain. So many fucking ways to expand this in season 2.

This one, unlike a lot of the mysteries, gave us nothing to work with. Could be a misdirect with it being Katarina and her mother either not knowing it was a woman or chose to change the story to omit that.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Unless they do more things like how they're bringing Silco into TFT or bringing someone who died in the show into LoL itself, there will always be a sense that the champs can't die in the show. And it would also telegraph that the stakes are far higher for characters that aren't LoL champs but are highly visible supporting characters in the show.

So whether the Medarda rival is an existing champ would signal exactly how he would end up in the story. I bet they'd keep his identity vague until the conflict is resolved one way or the other.

Caliane

They did kill Gangplank.. /check lore page... oh he's alive again...
I was going to say, idk, they might be willing to kill off champs. They can exist in game as they were, and alt canon skins just fine.

yeah, people might lose a bit, if they see the stakes aren't there for main characters. when vander is WW, people are probably going to be way more annoyed then anything else.
If they did have the balls, Vi, Caitlyn and Jynx are all close to their full character arcs. Jynx might be rough, since shes become the mascot. Caitlyn however, is in danger. there is no GRAND lore element she needs to achieve to hit her league role. sheriff of Piltover. technically same with Vi. a 2 year time skip with them as a crime fighting dynamic duo would complete their arcs. Viktor has his glorious evolution, and cult he needs to start. Jayce needs to oppose that, and act as the lead versus noxxius, the void, magic wars, etc... the bigger threats of the world, that need Jayce, not Caitlyn or Vi who solve crimes or punch things. singed? maybe. is he required to do all his Noxxian war shit? probably not. that can all happen without him.
Echo is clearly not dying. Heirmerdinger isn't safe either.

a S2, could be again via and Caitlyn as buddy cops trying to keep peace. sus out corruption in Piltover, drawing the attention of Camilla. deal with zaun monsters, urgot/ww/singed, etc. demon or regular dude serial killer. Caitlyn could be killed by Camilla or Jhin.. and Vi thinks it was Jynx.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
They did kill Gangplank.. /check lore page... oh he's alive again...
I was going to say, idk, they might be willing to kill off champs. They can exist in game as they were, and alt canon skins just fine.

yeah, people might lose a bit, if they see the stakes aren't there for main characters. when vander is WW, people are probably going to be way more annoyed then anything else.
If they did have the balls, Vi, Caitlyn and Jynx are all close to their full character arcs. Jynx might be rough, since shes become the mascot. Caitlyn however, is in danger. there is no GRAND lore element she needs to achieve to hit her league role. sheriff of Piltover. technically same with Vi. a 2 year time skip with them as a crime fighting dynamic duo would complete their arcs. Viktor has his glorious evolution, and cult he needs to start. Jayce needs to oppose that, and act as the lead versus noxxius, the void, magic wars, etc... the bigger threats of the world, that need Jayce, not Caitlyn or Vi to solve crimes or punch things. singed? maybe. is he required to do all his Noxxian war shit? probably not. that can all happen without him.
Echo is clearly not dying. Heirmerdinger isn't safe either.

a S2, could be again via and Caitlyn as buddy cops trying to keep peace. sus out corruption in Piltover, drawing the attention of Camilla. deal with zaun monsters, urgot/ww/singed, etc. demon or regular dude serial killer. Caitlyn could be killed by Camilla or Jhin.. and Vi thinks it was Jynx.

If they're doing this right, WW will never be clearly shown as vander. You will always have the feeling he is, but the dots will never be connected.

A big part of WW is he has only 1 memory from his past. That's it. He'll never be Vander again.

Or just never fucking involve WW in the animation again, and just leave it at that easter egg. May be a mention in passing about a beast killing people in Zaun.

I think act 2 should def tie the lose ends of the council not dying, get us some more piltover stuff, but should transition to expanding the world into territories outside of piltover. Probably the next step would be noxus since mel's mom is already there and that plot line got somewhat started in season 1. With noxus you can tie in demacia, with demacia you can tie more magic (and magic forbidding) etc etc.

I dunno, whatever it is i hope it slaps like season 1 did.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah there's still quite a bit of travel between where the season ends and LoL's current time. Zaun was always depicted as an independent entity in the lore, so whatever conflict ensues to establish that independence has erupted and cooled in the past. Likewise Caitlyn's tagline has always been "Sheriff of Piltover" whereas she isn't even an enforcer anymore at the end of s1. Her rise could be as simple as Jayce getting the council to nominate her or the season could play through how she earns it.

But yeah I would rather they'd anthologize the second season and do a cold start in a different locale with a different origin story. They could establish the Piltover/Zaun civil war as the backdrop, something that expanded as soon as Noxus got involved, but keep the focus on other characters other than jinx/cait/vi.

If Noxus becomes central, which is plausible since Ambessa (Mel's Mom) was in the ending montage looking at Mel's ruined painting, we could see the show focus on the rise of the brothers Darius and Draven. I wouldn't blame them for avoiding that since it's too much of the same sibling rivalry/partnership as vi/jinx. They came from nothing, Darius and Draven were both street urchins like cait/vi, and they both rose to become leading figures in Noxus.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really, really want to see Draven in Arcane.

He's may be more batshit than Jinx is!

• 2Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I really, really want to see Draven in Arcane.

He's may be more batshit than Jinx is!

Yeah they'd have to show Draven if there's any focus on Noxus at all. Although if they do, I think they'd put him in the background since Darius/Draven is too close of a parallel with Vi/Jinx, it might feel too much of a retread. They could just show him in the gladiatorial arena without giving him too many lines or something. That said, I don't see how they do Noxus without Darius being front and center.

Although, if they decide to do Darius/Draven, they could double down on the implicit parallels with Vi/Jinx since that sort of duality is structural to how the first season was written. Show how those impulses that drove Piltover apart are universal even in Noxus/Ionia.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Draven is absolutely the kind of guy who never, ever shuts the fuck up lol.

• 1Worf

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Draven is absolutely the kind of guy who never, ever shuts the fuck up lol.
It really is a tempting dichotomy to show a big brother/little bro dynamic and parallel that with the first season. They could pull it off without being to rehashy I think, but I hope they don't step on Powder's episode 3 toes too much. That scene is a classic now.

FDv0WcRVEAIvVCy

Caliane

every Arcane season is just a different pair of siblings.

Lux/Garen, Morgana/Kayle, AShe/ Sejuani/ Lissandra, Cassiopeia/Katarina, Darius/Draven, Nasus/Renekton, Shen/Zed.