Arcane

Caliane

On that note people have been saying that the whole show has been more or less complete since this teaser was released more than two years ago at their 10th year anniversary (October 2019). Since there's footage in it from the two acts that have been released so far, that sounds plausible.

But then there's a character in it that we haven't seen yet who may even be a champion. The guy with the oversized tophat who shows up twice in the teaser:

Here's a screencap of him. It's possible he may have just been cut but considering the costs of composing and animating entire character scenes it's unlikely. Plus the beard makes me think it's Ryze, who we may have seen earlier in the show in Jayce's intro.

View attachment 383056
Got to be Graves. no real ties to Piltover/Zuan. or any of the characters there.... but I mean.. that really looks like him. he is a bounty hunter. A cameo would not be out of place.

actually, wiki mentions, VI comments on him in Legends of Runeterra. And, when he loses his shotgun, Twisted fate and him go to Piltover to replace it... which implies he got the first one.. in Piltover.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Got to be Graves. no real ties to Piltover/Zuan. or any of the characters there.... but I mean.. that really looks like him. he is a bounty hunter. A cameo would not be out of place.

actually, wiki mentions, VI comments on him in Legends of Runeterra. And, when he loses his shotgun, Twisted fate and him go to Piltover to replace it... which implies he got the first one.. in Piltover.
I can't see Graves ever wearing that hat. I was originally thinking Twisted Fate too, but still doubt it.
Shaco or Fiddle is my bet if it's intended to be any champion from the LoL universe at all.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor

Looks a bit lanky to be Graves though. The mutton chops on him looks like Ryze's beard and the mage who rescued Jayce has the same physique as Ryze and that tophat guy. Folks speculate that mage is Ryze because his kit and leggings look like Ryze's base skin and if the timeframe is from before he finds his scrolls, it would make sense:

Maybe Ryze senses the activation of the hexcores (and their danger) and travels to Piltover to help contain or destroy it; since it's his responsibility by planting the seed of hextech in Jayce's mind. Jayce still wears that expended runestone the mage gave him too, from which all his hextech came from.

Would lend to the general convergence of all these major champions and factions to Piltover and essentially end the season at the "current day" of the broader conflict in league lore.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I was looking for high-res screens of the possible Ryze/mage on that episode I ran into some 4k shots of the show.... goddamn every frame really IS artwork.

If they had managed to release gameplay pre-alpha screens of their MMO and it looked like I could jump into this world I would happily pay an annual sub right now:

Arcane.S01E04.Happy.Progress.Day02.17.png

Arcane.S01E05.Everybody.Wants.to.Be.My.Enemy25.37.png

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Im about 110% sure it wont be Ryze.
Hat, Cigar, and wrong skin color. The timeline doesn't make sense for this to be a Ryze origin story either, especially since we already saw him in the Jayce flashback when he was already tatted up with blue skin.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Feels like TF tbh. Doesn't fit well in though.

We all know graves never got his cigar back anyway!

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
We see the mage's hands in that video when he catches the expended runestone. It's definitely tatted up but his skin isn't blue.

I'm not convinced it's Ryze either, tbh, but I think the tophat guy's physique is closer to Ryze's than Graves' and the Arcane mage's leggings and lower kit is definitely close to Ryze's.

Last edited:

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
ok I took the bait and went there, I only see ep 1-6 on their site. I assume next you'll say they took 7-9 down or they are behind a secret door.
Oh my bad, I just assumed there was only 6 episodes released for now. Also, not sure how it was bait when it's a legit website and they do in fact have episodes that haven't officially aired yet.

Last edited:

Caliane

Fiddlesticks, Evelyn, etc. No way they are going to introduce the Demons in this. Already enough going on. Theres no chance, "oh btw, theres Demons too. .. and voidlings.. and shadow ghosts... oh and space dragons."

"Lanky for Graves" true. but the others all are slightly different then in game as well. This is a Prequel essentially. they are all younger. Vi is notably smaller/younger still too.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Fiddlesticks, Evelyn, etc. No way they are going to introduce the Demons in this. Already enough going on. Theres no chance, "oh btw, theres Demons too. .. and voidlings.. and shadow ghosts... oh and space dragons."

"Lanky for Graves" true. but the others all are slightly different then in game as well. This is a Prequel essentially. they are all younger. Vi is notably smaller/younger still too.

Yeah I think they're gonna slow-roll the expanding world over the last three episodes but we've already been shown the mage and the runestones in Jayce's intro so that's technically already been set on the table.

One thing they're introducing for sure is Noxus. They've been mentioned a couple times before and Mel has that painting of the Immortal Bastion, but what's curious is that Mel's mother arrives wearing Noxian colors and surrounded by troops in Noxian livery, suggesting that not only does Mel have Noxian ties, but her mother might actually be Noxian, as the Medarda patronymic and inheritance is obviously from her father's:

noxus2.png

noxus1.png

And here the Noxians under Darius' army, from the Noxus intro video:

noxus3.png

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
On that note people have been saying that the whole show has been more or less complete since this teaser was released more than two years ago at their 10th year anniversary (October 2019). Since there's footage in it from the two acts that have been released so far, that sounds plausible.

But then there's a character in it that we haven't seen yet who may even be a champion. The guy with the oversized tophat who shows up twice in the teaser:

Here's a screencap of him. It's possible he may have just been cut but considering the costs of composing and animating entire character scenes it's unlikely. Plus the beard makes me think it's Ryze, who we may have seen earlier in the show in Jayce's intro.

View attachment 383056

The shot makes me think of Graves bc the focus of the frame is on the cigar and he's the cigar guy.

The top hat and body makes me think TF, bc he's skinny af and the only fella with a top hat.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I was looking for high-res screens of the possible Ryze/mage on that episode I ran into some 4k shots of the show.... goddamn every frame really IS artwork.

If they had managed to release gameplay pre-alpha screens of their MMO and it looked like I could jump into this world I would happily pay an annual sub right now:

View attachment 383086
Gotta slip in that gay shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
It would be the best-animated scissoring in history, that's for damned sure.

• 2Worf

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
The show's success globally isn't well-reflected in the US Netflix top-10, but it's been moving the needle for Netflix's ratings so well that folks who watch the streaming market have noticed. Forbes had a pretty good assessment on why it's #1 in 50+ markets but the neanderthal, chick-flick-loving US market has more or less derped it:

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I wonder how much the player bases have to do with that. NA has one of the lowest populations of player base in league, and I dont think its particularly close; Europe, China, Korea, Brazil all overshadow it.

Granted you don't need to have any real backstory to enjoy the show (and that is what I assume lead to its high score and staying power), but a lot of the first people I saw telling people to watch it were people who played League or Runeterra. And then promptly also telling them not to play league, no matter how much the show intrigues them.

• 2Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I suspect it's more because Netflix is far more mainstream in NA than other markets. The broader Netflix's penetration into a given broadcast market is, the lower Arcane performs. So in the US shit like Red Notice and Love Hard dominate the rankings because grandma and uncle bob the cord-cutter watch nothing but Netflix now but in Lithuania and Malaysia the Venn intersection between gamers and Netflix subscribers is far larger because broadcast TV and local streamers still have a presence.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I never thought video games would become as big as they are now.

But I always really hoped.

• 1Like