Arcane

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I feel that too on some level. But I wonder what parts of this will get homaged? does any of it really stand out as iconic in the same way as the motorcycles, or destruction of Tokyo?

Over time, we'll see. But it's definitely building a massive fandom with cosplayers, fan art and tiktok/socials. There are dozens of covers of the theme song and even some original music composed by fans.

What's curious is that the fandom is as skewed internationally as the viewership. Whereas Arcane is undeniably successful in US Netflix, that pales in its cultural penetration just about everywhere else in the world, where the show is still #1 on other regional streaming charts. It's even become a thing in Japan, which hasn't been a huge market for LoL and has generally been resistant about non-indigenous animation fandoms:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I feel that too on some level. But I wonder what parts of this will get homaged? does any of it really stand out as iconic in the same way as the motorcycles, or destruction of Tokyo?
They certaintly have some sort of steampunk aesthetic going on and I don't think anyone has defined that genre like Akira and Ghost in the Shell defined Cyberpunk.

Maybe they could be the ones.

• 2Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Second time he's fanboy'd this show.

Up next: DOTA pleb sets his Tesla on fire after controversial Elon Musk tweet.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Second time he's fanboy'd this show.

Up next: DOTA pleb sets his Tesla on fire after controversial Elon Musk tweet.
Wait wait... maybe he gets obsessed and makes a real life Moba... I don't know how they would work but there must be a way.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Wait wait... maybe he gets obsessed and makes a real life Moba... I don't know how they would work but there must be a way.
Elite heroes leading from behind while poor minions suffer and die?

Yeah, no idea how that would work in real life.

• 2Worf

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I just finished this last night and it was pretty good! I thought the first episode was too slow but once the tragedy happened it really picked up. Like Critical Drinker said, it was refreshing to see entertainment show real pain and struggle and consequences.

I was enjoying it so much when the final scene happened and the Next Episode button didn't show up I was rustled.

The fight animation choreography was awesome, and I found myself rewatching a lot of the slowmo bits like Echo bringing the pipe down on Jinx and Vi kneeing Silco's enforcer's face at the card table.

The facial animation was simply stellar, in particular the job they did with the crazy on Jinx's face. I was in awe with how well it was done.

Impressed. Will def watch more.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
like Echo bringing the pipe down on Jinx

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

• 2Worf

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Its been a wild ride watching Riot set the stage for an MMO with their building of the world through means outside of a pretty 1 dimensional (when I played) MOBA.

I was saying a while back that the only way their MMO picks up is if they retcon the lore out of their ass and if WoW dies.

Well, here we are years later, WoW couldn't ever be as unpopular as it is today and Riot is building their world pretty impressively.

Will be impressive to see where they take this, hopefully they don't fall in the same pit that Blizzard did and hire a bunch of vapid ass-clowns. Thankfully I've been following a few acquaintances as they destroyed their way through the gaming industry and their tenures were brief, if ever, at Riot.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys did you hear about this show? It's not too bad!!

Really hope they dont go down the road of Cailtyn and Vi being lesbians assuming they continue the current storylines for S2. That level of eye rolling twitter/gay fan service would clash with the phenomenal story telling weve gotten so far.

Will be impressive to see where they take this, hopefully they don't fall in the same pit that Blizzard did and hire a bunch of vapid ass-clowns. Thankfully I've been following a few acquaintances as they destroyed their way through the gaming industry and their tenures were brief, if ever, at Riot.
Im sure Riot's success has made some Blizzard execs contemplate suicide. Really made Blizzard look like the retards they truly are for utterly failing to capitalize on their incredibly popular IPs aside from a very meh movie.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Really hope they dont go down the road of Cailtyn and Vi being lesbians assuming they continue the current storylines for S2. That level of eye rolling twitter/gay fan service would clash with the phenomenal story telling weve gotten so far.
You're basically a right-wing SJW at this point.

• 1Worf

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It will continue to be just hinted at. They aren’t going to jeopardize the Asian market.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
What makes you all think it won't be "Edited for Chinese Markets" as they have another version in the US?

I mean you could change the entire tone of the show with some very creative translations from English to Chinese.

They will peddle the SJW / Leftist stuff here and push their own agenda at home.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
What makes you all think it won't be "Edited for Chinese Markets" as they have another version in the US?
Always a possibility. See Fightclub and its hilariously censored Chinese ending.
Pretty sure we're getting League of Lesbians for s2.
Maybe Mel will hook up some equally gilded foreign lady. That would have my seal of approval.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
There's so much they can do, that they need to do, to push the story and the LoL lore forward that I seriously doubt they'd ever need to do censor anything.

If anything, the events of the finale will probably bring tension between Cait and Vi. In fact the dialogue in the season 2 announcement more or less confirms that Cait is gonna be gunning for Jinx whether or not Vi helps her:

I suppose they could resolve it by the third act and the Chinese will have to edit out an extremely well-animated scissoring scene.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
If anything, the events of the finale will probably bring tension between Cait and Vi.
That would make a lot of sense going forward.

I think it was Vi who says Piltover and Zaun are oil and water, theyre not meant to mix. Each of them represent the force thats always persecuted the other especially in Caitlyn's case seeing as how enforcers killed Vi's parents and shit all over Zaun. Then of course it all comes full circle with Jinx seemingly killing Caitlyn's mother.

So much yin and yang.