Archeage

Vitality

HUSTLE
Got my fucking farm. I got lucky on my way to do another donkey run and ran into a Death Law guild run of about 7 people. I think 3 with packs. We all died before turn in anyway but still managed to get close enough for the turn in to count. Enjoy your free Gilda stars Cult of Dinner I won't be doing that shit daily that's for sure. FYI I saw our first friendly battleship today... Studiously avoiding going into enemy territory.

On a side note they were somehow making seabugs clear off their speed boats. I couldn't figure out how they were doing it. They'd jump on then 10 seconds later all would jump off.
The seabugs leash pretty easily, the video tuco posted was satirical at best.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Watching that video just made me cringe a little inside. As a healer.. one of the fastest ways to get me to stop healing you is to keep telling me you need a heal. I mean, I don't constantly say in vent/TS "I need you to kill that red.. dps dps".
I had similar thoughts. The guy dropping all the F bombs demanding heals reminded me of a raid leader my guild in WoW had. He played a rogue and was one of those types whose ?p?en was measured by how high he was on the DPS charts. When there were times where melee characters needed to stop DPSing to avoid AOE or red shit on the ground, he would often keep DPSing to pad his DPS numbers, start taking lots of damage, squeal for heals, then start dropping F bombs if the healers let him die.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
One of the few things that was kinda awesome about Pirates of the Burning Sea was everything was PvP, whether you were engaged in combat or not. Crafting and trading and non-combat activities could be vial to the overall PvP effort. You didn't have to love ganking to love PvP. When you were crafting, you were PvPing, plain and simple.

Convincing people who are anti-PK (when they're the ones getting killed) that PvP is a much grander scope than one-sided combat is an uphill battle, of course, but games that reward and value non-combat PvP activities are the PvP games that seem to succeed, and that I personally find enjoyable. I'm hoping ArcheAge fits this bill, where ganking may be one of the more talked about aspects (read as: people whining), but eventually understood to be one of the less important and less focal aspects of the game. If they manage to create an economy and environment where non-combat PvP thrives the game will have a chance to survive longer than a few months of dick swinging and turn into something more persistent and lasting.

Only time will tell, but I find it promising to read the complaints that people are having to mix their non-combat activities with combat. That's a start. And hopefully more people will realize that if you're farming, you're effectively PvPing, so act and react accordingly. It's a lot more fun that way anyhow.

Zantox_sl

shitlord
One of the tricky things about balancing PVP rewards and PVE farming type rewards is dealing with kill and/or turn-in trading. A designer has to set the balance so that opposing sides aren't encouraged to trade kills, but at the same time, are not encouraged to just avoid each other, either. I haven't played AA yet, but have seen this happen in countless games. What ultimately overcomes this stalemate in the best PVP games I have played is a since of identity and a mostly non-material reward/loss (e.g. defeating X guild or player is worth the risk just for the satisfaction or notoriety, but not a system in particular, and a little bit of loot to help recover resources spent on fighting). This requires a community where both sides at least know of each other (if not directly know each other), often meaning a manageable size server with regulars.

It's not all that easy, but fantastic when it does happen.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I had similar thoughts. The guy dropping all the F bombs demanding heals reminded me of a raid leader my guild in WoW had. He played a rogue and was one of those types whose ?p?en was measured by how high he was on the DPS charts. When there were times where melee characters needed to stop DPSing to avoid AOE or red shit on the ground, he would often keep DPSing to pad his DPS numbers, start taking lots of damage, squeal for heals, then start dropping F bombs if the healers let him die.
I made a good living in WoW secretly auctioning off my overly focused healing to DPS on bosses we could defeat easily.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Lot of drama on the official forums regarding the plan to only award Gilda stars for intercontinental trade runs. The community appears to be split roughly down the middle on whether they think its a good idea or not. I do find the " I'm gonna quit if this change goes live" posts funny. Unless you got an alpha invite for free, Trion already got your $150.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
doesn't that mean people don't PVP 80% of the time because if they did, EVE would be a wasteland with nothing in it?

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watching that video just made me cringe a little inside. As a healer.. one of the fastest ways to get me to stop healing you is to keep telling me you need a heal. I mean, I don't constantly say in vent/TS "I need you to kill that red.. dps dps" With how mobile combat is and how short ranged heals can be, if you need a heal then stop attacking and move closer to me. Odds are.. I already have you targeted and am spamming a heal that will not go off cause you are out of range.
id argue you should be saying you need someone peeled off you if your being attacked on a healer.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got my fucking farm. I got lucky on my way to do another donkey run and ran into a Death Law guild run of about 7 people. I think 3 with packs. We all died before turn in anyway but still managed to get close enough for the turn in to count. Enjoy your free Gilda stars Cult of Dinner I won't be doing that shit daily that's for sure. FYI I saw our first friendly battleship today... Studiously avoiding going into enemy territory.

On a side note they were somehow making seabugs clear off their speed boats. I couldn't figure out how they were doing it. They'd jump on then 10 seconds later all would jump off.
I know where cult of dinner have a little village in the middle of the strait if you want some revenge :p

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
doesn't that mean people don't PVP 80% of the time because if they did, EVE would be a wasteland with nothing in it?
Nah, you can PVP in Eve without risking anything. In fact, that's probably the huge majority of PVP in Eve. The game gets attention with the periodic ("10 trillion USD destroyed in spaceship battle") headlines... but most people hate grinding ISK and Eve and would rather fly cheap shit ships and find other people doing the same (faction warfare, red vs blue). Plus, for fleet warfare you need your guys flying the same style of ship so lowest common denominator applies. Regardless of if 5 of the crew want to roll out rich, there is no point unless everyone can afford it. With most of Eve PVP being efficiency based "who lost the most ISK", there is an incentive to fly cheap and practical and many to not.

The people who lose the most ISK on a routine basis are the mouth-breathing high-seccers who insist on blinging their mission-running ship to the gills. It's just a matter of time before they're in the wrong place at the wrong time and lose a 10-20bil behemoth that is only 10 percent better than a ship 10 percent of that cost.

When I read the last financial report from CCP, the message I interpreted was that 80 percent of their player-base rarely or never PVPs. No one writes articles about the tons of doods who love to mine or haul freight in high-sec, but that is the majority of their game. It's actually pretty fascinating that for peanuts (10 mil isk) I can pay to have my cargo shipped across high-sec with zero risk. These contracts takes 8-16 hours. Rarely do they take 24 hours. People literally log into eve and play as a truck driver.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's actually pretty fascinating that for peanuts (10 mil isk) I can pay to have my cargo shipped across high-sec with zero risk. These contracts takes 8-16 hours. Rarely do they take 24 hours. People literally log into eve and play as a truck driver.
Can't wait to see that model extended to ArcheAge!

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Nah, you can PVP in Eve without risking anything. In fact, that's probably the huge majority of PVP in Eve. The game gets attention with the periodic ("10 trillion USD destroyed in spaceship battle") headlines... but most people hate grinding ISK and Eve and would rather fly cheap shit ships and find other people doing the same (faction warfare, red vs blue). Plus, for fleet warfare you need your guys flying the same style of ship so lowest common denominator applies. Regardless of if 5 of the crew want to roll out rich, there is no point unless everyone can afford it. With most of Eve PVP being efficiency based "who lost the most ISK", there is an incentive to fly cheap and practical and many to not.

The people who lose the most ISK on a routine basis are the mouth-breathing high-seccers who insist on blinging their mission-running ship to the gills. It's just a matter of time before they're in the wrong place at the wrong time and lose a 10-20bil behemoth that is only 10 percent better than a ship 10 percent of that cost.

When I read the last financial report from CCP, the message I interpreted was that 80 percent of their player-base rarely or never PVPs. No one writes articles about the tons of doods who love to mine or haul freight in high-sec, but that is the majority of their game. It's actually pretty fascinating that for peanuts (10 mil isk) I can pay to have my cargo shipped across high-sec with zero risk. These contracts takes 8-16 hours. Rarely do they take 24 hours. People literally log into eve and play as a truck driver.
why do people eve. wtf.

Vitality

HUSTLE
why do people eve. wtf.
I spend most of my time working a sort a passive arbitrage strategy in Jita, I've spent months, in Jita IV, flipping billions of isk without leaving the station.

Haven't stepped foot outside Jita in half a year. Perfectly Content with it. I do something similar in AA currently, unless there's PVP going on of course.

I currently have most of the Mana Potion market cornered.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I spend most of my time working a sort a passive arbitrage strategy in Jita, I've spent months, in Jita IV, flipping billions of isk without leaving the station.

Haven't stepped foot outside Jita in half a year. Perfectly Content with it. I do something similar in AA currently, unless there's PVP going on of course.

I currently have most of the Mana Potion market cornered.
Do you practice in front of mirrors each day also?

Vitality

HUSTLE
Do you practice in front of mirrors each day also?
Yeah I practice my pop'n'lock in front of my full body dance studio wall mirror, gotta be prepared you know, in case anyone wants to throw down.

I also have a mirror above my oven that I use regularly as entertainment while cooking, it's basically my own personal cooking show.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Eve showed that you need that carebear army in your pvp game to keep it going, its why all these other pvp games fail imo, they are all too focused on being hardcore and letting the carebears get farmed to death or restrict non pvpers from doing anything. Eve would have shut down in the first year if it wasn't for all those high sec subs. It was those guys running freight and doing stupid bullshit that kept that game going through its dark time, when nullsec had like a few hundred pilots in it.

Archage has a good pve base. I hope they dont ruin it by thinking they need to try to make everyone pvp

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
jhcLDed.png