Archeage

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
its not even that the east is stacked. Id happily attack an east ship as readily as i would a west ship. There just arnt enough of them out there and then when you do beat one, they dont regroup, repair and come back but pack it in for the night.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
You should have scaling death penalty so when you die the first time you can get back in fairly quickly but as you die your spawn timer gets longer and longer and longer until the side that sucks the least can get to your spawn point and destroy it for the final blow.

Regardless if you are going to play for the sieges you'll likely be disappointed unless they do some major overhauls.
I thought most of the hype was surrounding the siege part of the game, especially the part about building your own castle.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought most of the hype was surrounding the siege part of the game, especially the part about building your own castle.
I agree with building/owning a castle part(even though the castles seem very rudimentary, just walls with occasional object here and there between the walls) but the attack/defending part not so much. I thought the sea stuff was much more exciting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I agree with building/owning a castle part(even though the castles seem very rudimentary, just walls with occasional object here and there between the walls) but the attack/defending part not so much. I thought the sea stuff was much more exciting.
Yep. I can't think of another MMO that added land ownership + taxes to the game, that part is pretty cool.

However the siege stuff isn't that lauded. It's just a lightly-featured way for the game to ensure that the current land owners deserve their claim. With a few features it could be better but we'll see how it plays out. I'm not totally convinced that the videos we've seen of sieges are the best it can get. As a group PRX has been fighting these kinds of fights for 14 years and in no game we've played is the optimal strategy to graveyard zerg the enemy.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I personally prefer the open world PvP aspects much more than slamming my head into a wall / door. Did that enough in GW2. Kind of getting old now.

Hopefully they flesh it out a bit more they've been working on a PvP update for awhile now. Regardless it will only be a portion of the game due to the costs of sieging and not something people are going to see every night. I certainly wouldn't pick the game up just for that portion of the game.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Our team met the Kraken tonight
kraken3_1400990411.jpg

Kraken1_1400990362.jpg

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
If anyone wants to buy my alpha founders account for $100 via paypal send me a PM. I just have too much going on and didn't even get past level 10. My loss is your gain!
Still FS! Also Kraken makes me think of Europa Report lol.

So, in addition to the whole chance to crit aspect, it appears that gear cannot be upgraded further if the sealed version rolls non-standard? Like, non-volcano bow, non-typhoon leather armor, etc. cannot be upgraded further? Does the regrade you can do for level 50+ stuff change the 'type', or just have a chance to crit it higher? Assuming it's even implemented.

Game's feeling really Korean at the moment with all these RNG hoops that can sink so much effort.

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
When it comes to crafting I feel like RNG is more a boon than a bane. If you're not connected with a couple of crafters it lowers your chance at BiS gear, sure, but it does that in a practical sense foreveryone, which I see as good overall. Keeps everyone working towards something.

I'll admit, though, the more RNG in a crafting system the less likely I am to ever do any crafting. I'll be the gathering bitch all day every day, LOL.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, in addition to the whole chance to crit aspect, it appears that gear cannot be upgraded further if the sealed version rolls non-standard? Like, non-volcano bow, non-typhoon leather armor, etc. cannot be upgraded further? Does the regrade you can do for level 50+ stuff change the 'type', or just have a chance to crit it higher? Assuming it's even implemented.

Game's feeling really Korean at the moment with all these RNG hoops that can sink so much effort.
this is pretty much true. To get the absolute ideal piece of gear, you will have to crit on every craft, to the exact type you need to keep upgrading it and then on the final craft get the type you actually want. its a little extreme but i like the direction of players dont need best in slot within a month. get a hasla weapon, get a set of purple auroria gear and your good to go for a while.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
southeast side of hasla there are level 50 mobs that drop faded tokens of (insert one of 6 names). Get 150 of the right token and you can trade it in for the corresponding weapon. For 200 and 300 more you can get upgrades on it.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
southeast side of hasla there are level 50 mobs that drop faded tokens of (insert one of 6 names). Get 150 of the right token and you can trade it in for the corresponding weapon. For 200 and 300 more you can get upgrades on it.
I thought it would be a terrible grind but its not that bad -- biggest issue is crowding but you can remedy this by grouping up with people who need different tokens. You can combine all six with a vendor item that costs 5 gold to make an Earthstone then break the Earthstone into 5 of your target token (costs 125 labor for this). You also get decent money drops during the grind, just make sure you're looting your fair share within a group. I'm almost to my 2nd tier sword and these weapons are substantially better than anything else I've seen available.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought it would be a terrible grind but its not that bad -- biggest issue is crowding but you can remedy this by grouping up with people who need different tokens. You can combine all six with a vendor item that costs 5 gold to make an Earthstone then break the Earthstone into 5 of your target token (costs 125 labor for this). You also get decent money drops during the grind, just make sure you're looting your fair share within a group. I'm almost to my 2nd tier sword and these weapons are substantially better than anything else I've seen available.
6 gold + all 6 tokens.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't even gotten to hasla. I hit 50 in sanddeep and did the next two zones on east before just saying fuck it and stopped questing all together.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As many times as Ive seen that Kraken ~ I always think its the head of something. Like Cthulu? Or one of those fucking monsters from that Robot Movie where they fight in the ocean. Definitely a cool looking encounter, though.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't even gotten to hasla. I hit 50 in sanddeep and did the next two zones on west before just saying fuck it and stopped questing all together.
i could be wrong but isnt sanddeep the last zone on the west until karkasse ridgelands...so the ones following it would be rockbourne, windscour, perinoor and hasla on the east.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well I'm done with this for now. Watchdogs coming out tomorow and Wildstar next week...so that will keep me busy for 1-2 months.

I did manage to test 3-4 specs. And learn what I wanted in term of getting started, farming, housing, boats, trade-runs, crafting, etc...I don't know everything, but enough to get me started in the right direction.

I actually think this might finally be a game I will stick for longer than 1-2 months.

I'll probably be back in alpha/beta just before release to test the class change and how it affects the class I tested.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the game. I'm not a huge PVP player but I enjoy it once in a while. I had fun with the PVP aspect of the game which, I found to be less intrusive than I expected.

I'm looking forward to release.
smile.png

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
its not even that the east is stacked. Id happily attack an east ship as readily as i would a west ship. There just arnt enough of them out there and then when you do beat one, they dont regroup, repair and come back but pack it in for the night.
Those DAoC days of organized, real PvP are over I think. I said this about TESO. The industry has gotten it wrong going forward.

Unless the game is fully dedicated to PvP from the start and PvE only as lore filler, those games are just going to keep doing what you've seen; domination, quitting/flipping, demise. I think many players have been on both sides of winning/losing in PvP games over the years and if you've been a consistent winner, you don't want to start losing and if you've been a consistent loser, you don't want to keep on losing in the new game.

There are still a few people who do PvP for the 'challenge' aspect not really caring about winning/losing overall, but mainly PvP has been relegated to "Which side do you think will be bigger?" for many players and if they aren't winning, they aren't going to 'regroup, repair, and come back'. They will only come back when the odds are in their favor and if as in your example you outnumber them 2:1, it's going to kill incentive.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
If anyone wants to buy my alpha founders account for$100via paypal send me a PM. I just have too much going on and didn't even get past level 10. My loss is your gain!

Figured I would mention it again because weekend.