Archeage

Raes

Vyemm Raider
That shit is such a tiny part of the game it doesn't even matter.

What it does suffer from is a lot of same-faction douchebaggery griefing that doesn't involve pvp.

Blackwulf

N00b
Anyone got the patience to lay out for me in bullets why you think it's worth playing? I wouldn't mind an alternative to ESO if the updates coming down the pipe take too long, or push the game in the wrong direction.

Tuco, make this easy - what's better about AA than ESO? I'm asking honestly - I haven't followed this game much, because I figured, like most asian-import MMO's, it would be all bluster and then be a pretty big fail.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Anyone got the patience to lay out for me in bullets why you think it's worth playing? I wouldn't mind an alternative to ESO if the updates coming down the pipe take too long, or push the game in the wrong direction.

Tuco, make this easy - what's better about AA than ESO? I'm asking honestly - I haven't followed this game much, because I figured, like most asian-import MMO's, it would be all bluster and then be a pretty big fail.
? Nameplates

Felmega_sl

shitlord

AA = very little instancing
ESO = instancing EVEYWHERE

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If you're a solo player and enjoy:

Farmville
AH trading
Decent but basic dungons

You might be happy in this game.

You will get PK'd, you will get PK'd by your own faction especially if you make yourself a target. General ganking by your own faction is fairly rare IMO. Your side will generally attack you when you are low hanging fruit and have value (pack), not so much otherwise.

PVP players will enjoy the game if:

They enjoy small group PvP / Ganking
Part of a guild that plays together
Don't mind butting heads with larger guilds who "BRING MOAR" to win
Part of a large guild

You will like the game if you enjoy the meta game bull shit that goes on. There will be lots of drama, lots of crying and lots of KOS people / guilds even on your own side. The desire to ram your thumb up people's asses in this game is strong, the penalty for doing so is fairly weak and the loss to the fuckee is fairly low but still stings. So people are encouraged to be the Fucker and the Fuckee isn't likely to rage quit over it. While the system is imperfect it does heavily encourage PvP, interaction and communication.

The castles and sieges are more about initial rush Epeen as the actual siege mechanics aren't all that great. Defenders are heavily favored. Don't buy the game based on that as they really aren't worth it. Nice for large guilds to flex their peens not much more.

PvP mostly involves:

1. Trade runs / Ocean / Ship vs Ship. See something you want, you swoop in, take it and get most of the reward. Sometimes your faction will help you, sometimes they'll butt fuck you and steal your shit. The rewards for fucking people over is fairly high so those "friendlies" standing around you on your ship that haven't flagged yet aren't really friendly.

2. Open field combat. This will vary from group_A ganking group_B, people fighting over an area for upgrades which drop from mobs in one form or another or events which will cause zergs of people to hit a zone or area for 30 - 60 minutes until completion. You may also see some world mobs get disputed and resources.

Few small things:

Levels don't really mean shit.
Gear matters
Skill matters
Character skill system and development is excellent

Just my take on the game.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There's a lot of questing though. It's minor and there is a lot to do in the game beyond it, but there is a lot of questing. A lot of it is useless crap too.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
There's a lot of questing though. It's minor and there is a lot to do in the game beyond it, but there is a lot of questing. A lot of it is useless crap too.
That is an understatement. Go back to every thread on this forum and read all the complaints from the posters that abhor WoW-style quest hubs, collect X number of bear asses and kill Y number of bears and then multiply that by a factor of 10 and you get the quest system in this game. The quests in this game are the worst of any MMO I have played. It was the first time I just clicked thru the quests to do them as fast as possible. IMO the ONLY reason to play this game is if you are a hardcore PVPer and you like to do all the PVP things Kedwyn listed.

I think this game's system of requiring massive amounts of resources to build a keep is a very good idea. I just have the sinking feeling that the actual sieges will be anti-climactic and not last very long like in TESO where you could take over a keep in less than 5 minutes. IMO if the guild vs guild castle sieges create an epic and fun PVP experience then this game will be very successful among the hardcore PVP community.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The questing blows. Rest of the end game is worth the shit questing. I was able to get through the questing in this game because its quick and painless. There is no grind and its gotten even easier since the patch. Games like Wildstar I could not get through.

GvG castle wise sucks. I won't touch on how retarded TESO and GW2 was with their 3 minute keep takes but this game's system is retarded on the other end of the pendulum.

Play the game for the economy, farming, PvP, skill system and meta.

If those aren't your things there is plenty of other shit on the market that might hold your attention.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Questing in AA is way better than WS because post 30 you're in open FFA lands. Makes it more tense, engaging...

Vitality

HUSTLE
Questing in AA is way better than WS because post 30 you're in open FFA lands. Makes it more tense, engaging...
WS has open world pvp in the same way. Unless you rolled on a casual PVE server.

In fact, WS always has open world pvp, AA has "Peace time" pvp toggling in the open world quest hub zones after a certain amount of pvp has taken place...

Just one comparison of many.

Open world pvp in wildstar actually progresses your character in multiple ways by granting you Elder Points (Towards elder gems for pve gear/raid keys) and a sizable amount of coin.

Open world pvp in Archeage nets you maybe 1-20 honor depending on the amount of people that tagged the guy. If you're a healer not doing any damage, you get nearly nothing for the kills. 1-5 honor tops. (the value here is if you camp trade routes and manage to poach a pack or two which is highly unlikely in a quest central area).

(This is all pre 1.2 speak on my part and subject to change)

Archeage definitely has better goals to reach than Wildstar, for my taste atleast. Your name on the server actually means something, local server based PVP will always present more ePeen opportunities than the cross-realm stuff WoW/WS present.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I only quested to level 25ish, but the questing is better than ESO because:
1. no instancing
2. no bugs

Overall the questing is almost an afterthought or tutorial, I would've preferred a more PVP centric leveling process (the best way I've seen this done is limiting the space you can PvP in and having FFA PVP. resource contention is the heart of competition).

As for why you should play, I dunno, Kedwyn laid it out pretty well. I'm not going to sit here and claim this is a WoW killer. It's going to be a good time, has a good basic system and is great for communities like ours and guilds like PRX. There's some great moments and mechanics in the game, the class system is very cool, the combat is solid, the world can be beautiful at times, hang-gliding is thoroughly enjoyable, the boat combat is the best multiplayer boating and the second best boating in games (next to Assassin's creed). The crafting is one of the best of any MMO, next to games like SWG and tale in the desert.

I'm just playing it for the same reason I played GW2 and ESO, to get all my friends together into an organized army and win some wars.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
It's been so long since I've played a game that isn't quest hub collect x of y ten thousand times to max level that I don't even really remember what the alternative feels like. Just go out and explore the world and find places to kill things and meet new people in the process sounds fun again to me but I haven't had the opportunity to do that with this quest hub model everyone is doing these days.

It could very well suck too but not as bad as doing thousands of these meaningless quests and mindlessly clicking thru tons of quest dialog boxes.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The alternative is quests that chain up and take a while and that killing the mobs give good XP along with good XP for the actual quest.

The thing is about quality more than sheer quantity. ArcheAge has a TON of quests all on top of each other that you need to make sure you have them all because you are going to be in a small area doing all those quests that overlap. It just isn't necessary to have that many without much of a reward to all of them.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
What's worse is this quest hub model kills off social aspects of the game. You're not on the exact same quests I'm on? Well then, cya!

I often times start these games with friends and we play together doing the same exact quests together, only to be on totally different quests after a few days and I realize I'm not even playing with my own friends anymore because of that! That's a pretty sad truth about this quest hub model of todays mmo's.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
The nice thing about the questing in this game is that it doesn't try to be clever. For the most part the stuff you need to kill is right near the quest giver and is clearly marked on your map. So you just go to a new town, pick up the quests, make a circle around the town and kill shit. Most mobs have a 'hidden' quest that gets completed for killing a bunch of them so it rewards sticking around and grinding a little. I like grinding, so it works ok for me, and as people have said after level 30 there are pvp distractions to break up the monotony. I don't find the questing in this game to be too onerous, whereas I could not fucking stand the questing in Wildstar.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
What's worse is this quest hub model kills off social aspects of the game. You're not on the exact same quests I'm on? Well then, cya!

I often times start these games with friends and we play together doing the same exact quests together, only to be on totally different quests after a few days and I realize I'm not even playing with my own friends anymore because of that! That's a pretty sad truth about this quest hub model of todays mmo's.
It's getting to the point where I would rather see long leveling curves return, with many / countless repeatable quests with some small personal longer story quests, and that way when your friends play, they may only be 1-2 levels above you and you can still stick in the same areas.

But those days are long gone in the face of single player MMORPG garbage.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Questing in Archage is basically a guide to where to grind and getting extra exp. It points you where to go and what to kill and rewards you for it while making it painless. I'm not a fan of quest hubs but I appreciate the fact they didn't try to be clever and act like they were doing something special. Leveling is also fast so you actually feel like you are making progress. You also can pretty much skip the questing if you want since you can level in other ways.

Vitality

HUSTLE
It's getting to the point where I would rather see long leveling curves return, with many / countless repeatable quests with some small personal longer story quests, and that way when your friends play, they may only be 1-2 levels above you and you can still stick in the same areas.

But those days are long gone in the face of single player MMORPG garbage.
It takes a special kind of man to sit against a 2d wall grinding ghouls and scarabs for hours on end for half a level only to be rewarded by these ultra rare boots with one stat on them.

I feel like the answer to a lot of Rerolled's McMMO issues would be a game like Darkfall, it's a shame Darkfall was fumbled, a dirty shame.

As it stands though, ArcheAge is the closest thing to sandbox we can get our hands on this development cycle. What other choice do we have?

I just wish we could fk up peoples houses and stuff. A Hardcore FFA property damage and moderated full loot archeage server would be a sight to see.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You know what AA doesn't have? Quest that make you run ten minutes on your mount, kill 15 mobs, run back, turn in quest and get sent back to the same fucking area to kill the other mobs that were there. And the quests reward is less xp than you would have got spending that travel time grinding.

And yeah, hang-gliding is fucking awesome. And the game world was designed with it in mind, lots of peaks and valleys etc.