Archeage

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I'm pleasantly surprised that I can avoid open pvp altogether. Last week before I figured out how the phases worked I was going to dink around with tradeskills a bit and then quit. But the peacetime stuff makes it good. Halcyon frequently has 4 hour chunks of peace.

I am a big fan of XvsX pvp like in warhammer or old republic scenarios/warzones, but leveling and pvp do not mix for me.

I could write a huge amount on the old sheep vs wolves stuff. They really seemed to figure out a way to keep the sheep around. When I worked at a mmo company we talked about this alot. Almost everyone was ex ultima online so they had a very lessons-learned approach, and that "wisdom" spread through gdc. ArcheAge seems to have a good balance, but time will tell.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
They really seemed to figure out a way to keep the sheep around.
I get what you're saying but isn't it a bit early to say who's staying yet?

I mean, the game is only three weeks old and most of those sheep haven't even gotten out of the pen yet. Even WildStar and TESO didn't have people fleeing en masse after three weeks time and was praising them on the content they saw that far in. As a matter of fact, the boards for all those games probably looked exactly the same with unrest and praise all over it. Hell, most of the people playing AAge finally got into the damn game last week.

If they are smart, they'll do what few companies seem to figure out until it's too late or they convert to F2P from P2P or shutdown...whotheir main audience is. It's obvious it's going to be the PvP crowd so if they want to spend time making boring 1 man dungeon content, then they're going to regret it down the line.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
It is too early yes. It will be fascinating to watch though. So many of the crafting quests funnel you into the ocean crossing. I tried it on an alt and of course we got wiped out, but it was hilarious and fun.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
One good thing that might come out of this game is more games having ship combat in the future instead of the obligatory water levels. Does anyone not love big fucking ships?

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Ok so for a newb like me is it worth buying materials from the AH in order to make the items needed for the first trade runs, or trade runs in general?

Vitality

HUSTLE
Ok so for a newb like me is it worth buying materials from the AH in order to make the items needed for the first trade runs, or trade runs in general?
Probably better off harvesting them yourself to get acquainted with the farming and crafting systems.

Your second time around you can save yourself the trouble by just purchasing the mats.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I play in a "small scale" PvP guild, we're usually 5-15 people online, mostly doing PvP/PK piracy in open sea. When we're not killing people and robbing them from their tradepacks, it's mostly random roam PvP, like wandering around Hasla token farm spot, Karkasse, Freedich and whatnot. On our server there are big ass guilds with 100-200+ people. They usually run 50 people raids every night, trying to fuck other big ass guilds. To us we're mostly guerilla : we sometimes get some of them if they're away from the pack, or just fuck around with our small crew, making sure not to stand in front of them. Long story short,we adapt. Not every "small scale" PvP is a bunch of underage gankers calling people names as soon as someone kills them.
Not sure how you actually have time play since it seems like you spend atleast 20+ hours a day finding retarded character ss's and posting them here religiously.
Tho I will admit a slight chuckle when you responded to kharza's "I'll wait till they add pve only servers" bizarro-comment with a ss of that weird Korean speaking fish dude looking appropriately startled

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So far this game gets my thumbs up. It's like a really good mix of theme park and sandbox. So while you're doing theme park stuff, it's still interesting because you see people doing sandbox stuff.

?t was really a pain in the ass to get to 50, good thing it wasnt that horrible of a grind. For a game like this id put some xp in arenas and let people grind in there if thats what they choose to do. Maybe some world events thats worth lots of xp to get people out of there once in a while. Having fun now though.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The key word to almost everything in this game is patience, especially when it comes to things like leveling. That's probably why it's going to be a niche game in the end after the shiny wears off. Your average player doesn't have that kind of patience anymore to play this type of game when most grew up in the WoW era. I think the land situation (which I think shouldn't change btw) is going to drive some players away because people have this sense of entitlement (one look at the forums tells you that) and if they see stuff in game, they think they should have a reasonable means to get it. I like the game but it's not the end all-be all, there will be burnout because that is the nature of MMORPG's these days. At least the game is a fresher take on the genre then some of the recycled crap that gets churned out (Wildstar/ESO I'm looking at you).

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
The key word to almost everything in this game is patience, especially when it comes to things like leveling. That's probably why it's going to be a niche game in the end after the shiny wears off. Your average player doesn't have that kind of patience anymore to play this type of game when most grew up in the WoW era. I think the land situation (which I think shouldn't change btw) is going to drive some players away because people have this sense of entitlement (one look at the forums tells you that) and if they see stuff in game, they think they should have a reasonable means to get it. I like the game but it's not the end all-be all, there will be burnout because that is the nature of MMORPG's these days. At least the game is a fresher take on the genre then some of the recycled crap that gets churned out (Wildstar/ESO I'm looking at you).
I think one thing that will keep it going is that it's reasonably free to play if you don't intend to do crafting and what not. So there should always be a fresh batch of people coming in when others quit.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think one thing that will keep it going is that it's reasonably free to play if you don't intend to do crafting and what not. So there should always be a fresh batch of people coming in when others quit.
Yea but crafting and PvP are the meat of this game. The F2P player is absolutely a 2nd class citizen and the game has no problem letting you know that.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Yea but crafting and PvP are the meat of this game. The F2P player is absolutely a 2nd class citizen and the game has no problem letting you know that.
True, but if you just want to be a pirate type and cause a ruckus it seems like you can pretty easily. At least as far as I know, anyway.

I do think they should let free players get lp while logged off, even if it's just half of what paying people get.

Bruman

Golden Squire
True, but if you just want to be a pirate type and cause a ruckus it seems like you can pretty easily. At least as far as I know, anyway.

I do think they should let free players get lp while logged off, even if it's just half of what paying people get.
Yeah, I think there's unanimous agreement that online/offline labor regen system is terrible. Should just be "regen" period, 10 for subs, 5 for free.

I just realized - as a free player, with so little labor, if you want money, you have to play the AH really well and/or be a pirate. They're basically asking for free accounts to be gankers and griefers.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
There's a reason you don't produce Labor when offline on a F2P account : it would be too easily abused by people creating F2P accounts to have more available Labor anytime.
Yeah, this is a good point. Perhaps give them labor through actual questing then? I dunno, it's seems like a rock and a hard place kind of situation.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
There's a reason you don't produce Labor when offline on a F2P account : it would be too easily abused by people creating F2P accounts to have more available Labor anytime.
So instead I'll just create an alt account and take up an online server slot with it instead for more Labor?

/disclaimer, I'm level 2 and have no idea WTF 99.99% of the game is about