Archeage

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
already? lol. BnS must be extremely thin on PvE content. Probably should never release here.
I cheated, I spent like 35$ in cash to get vip, and I ended up buying some gold, if you actually play the game you wont see endgame weapons for like a year or more, along with accessories the amount of materials needed for upgrading is insane, and I wasn't gonna sit around for the next 3-4 months, first game I ever bought gold in.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I've been trying to play this but I every few minutes while playing I get some error about referencing memory to some address but that address wasnt here or something and it crashes me out of game. Anyone know anything about this?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I've been trying to play this but I every few minutes while playing I get some error about referencing memory to some address but that address wasnt here or something and it crashes me out of game. Anyone know anything about this?
Well anyways i figured this out - atleast for me, the issue was fixed by switching to direct x9 - the crash kept occurring in dx11. Too bad since the game definitely looked better in 11

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The way the Russian servers do labor points (no clue if its the same on Korea I'd guess it is) certainly lends advantages to subscribers. I don't really have an issue with it just that the difference is huge and if you do any sort of crafting, harvesting etc you'll want those points. 5x the refresh of points with them accruing while logged out is clutch when compared to 1/5 the gain and having to remain logged into the game for points to accumulate.

I don't mind subbing so no issue with me but that difference is pretty crazy. Especially when you consider that every single thing you do from crafting, planting, harvesting, gathering etc all costs points.

Interesting system.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hey guys - got this to work after realizing today that they dropped the hammer on all non russian ip's, but VPN worked fine to get me in. What server are you guys on? The guide says server "ten", but I have no idea which server is server ten, unless I just count down from the top?

Hanthos_sl

shitlord
Hey guys - got this to work after realizing today that they dropped the hammer on all non russian ip's, but VPN worked fine to get me in. What server are you guys on? The guide says server "ten", but I have no idea which server is server ten, unless I just count down from the top?
Here you go: ????

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
edit - just refreshed and saw hanthos post, answered my q thanks!

well damnit i made a character on the wrong server. gonna go ahead and start up on the 'english' one. Name is kazora. How can I join up with you guys?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Played a bit more figured I'd post some more shit.

I hope Trion Doesn't release the game with the care bear patch.

The Russian servers are amazing, active and there is shit tons of world PVP going on. Their cash shop is well done as is the sub model.

Game world is huge, stunning and well crafted. You really don't notice at first, but as you play through the game you realize the "feel" of the world is just great. I can't really put my finger on exactly why but it has to do with the varied landscapes, you don't feel like you're being funneled through a cattle sorter as you run around questing / grinding / whatever and everything just feels open / airy / beautiful. Helps that performance is mostly excellent and at max settings it is quite pretty. I've caught myself sitting on the oceans edge a few times and climbing hills / mountains to glide down. Its that pretty. Even better is the fact that the under water areas are extremely well done. I can't remember the last game that let me dive under water much less had actual content down there. WoW maybe? Anyway the game world is complete, not just some walled corridor you quest through. The difference is very noticeable.

The quests kind of suck. Doesn't help that its in russian or badly translated but in the end I doubt it will matter all that much. This isn't Mass Effect quality writing. Reality is though I don't mind. This coming from someone that had serious issues with WildStar, TESO and TERA questing. I managed to hit end game with Tera because the combat and dungeons were awesome but TESO and Wildstar PVE is garbage to me. Archeage questing fails to really impress on its own but the rest of the game is so good that I really don't care. I wouldn't stress about the questing in Archeage because the combat, character development, crafting, PVP, farmville, pharming aspects are so good I doubt you'll notice it. Fact is I haven't really thought about it or bitched about it one bit. In fact the mediocre nature of the quests gets enhanced by the PVP, crime, crafting, awesome world so much that its really a non issue at this point.

Combat. My favorite games are Tera bar none and WoW. Responsive combat is a must and Archeage has it. Even playing on a Russian server with higher pings the combat is satisfying. Abilities have "umph" / fire on time, you don't have ability bloat like in say EQ2 but it isn't the snore fest that GW2, TESO and wildstar. Nice middle ground for me. Yes it is tab targeted, that is one of my bigger complaints but despite my love for Tera style combat I have to say the combat in game is really well done.

Classes. Awesome. The combinations, synergies and different things you can do is pretty impressive. One of the better class systems out there. There are so many different builds being tried by our players and most everyone is fairly happy with what they are using. There should be lots of viable combinations even for min / maxers.

Grinding. Perfectly viable. In fact encouraged in certain ways. Just about every single mob type has an unofficial quest to kill it. Go there, pharm it and after you kill around 20 of them you'll get a pop up for xp bonus just like you turned in a quest. Kind of a nice touch. You can also over charge your quests which isn't really a new thing but if you have to kill 10 and you kill 15 you get a bonus. Might as well kill the extra 5 and get the unwritten bonus as well.

No shit loot. Well very little. Everything is valuable. Vendor trash is limited really to shit gear. Anything uncommon (green) or better you want to break down for the components. I really don't sell much stuff to vendors and I really like that.

Crafting / farming is very rewarding. Lots of really good upgrades and gear available through crafting. Lots of world gear, resources and drops will be needed to actually craft. Very good system and relies on players to interact. I can't stress enough how awesome the system really is. You just have to plop down a scarecrow and start farming up some mats and creating things. I'm not even a big crafter and neither are a lot of the PVP'rs I'm playing with but every single one of them has a farm and is enjoying the hell out of it.

PVP. The range you can be successful is wide. We've had people beat enemies that are 10 levels over them. Gear matters obviously but levels are not the end all be all of who will win a fight. So far it very well done and everyone I'm playing with is very pleased.

Overall I'm really impressed with the game. There are some blemishes but by far this is the most complete game to come to market since WoW. I haven't seen a game scratch so many different itches like this one does.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's interesting how "having fun" colors players views to things they despise in other games.

Good to see more options out there for people, the genre needs some competition.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It's interesting how "having fun" colors players views to things they despise in other games.

Good to see more options out there for people, the genre needs some competition.
These games are all about having fun so it shouldn't be surprising.

I can give you a laundry list of things I dislike about TESO and Wildstar and why they are different in Archeage or not as impacting but that would likely derail this thread a good bit. Suffice to say how the world is crafted and what combat feels like is key to my personal enjoyment. As are the end game carrots and diversity of things to do.

TESO's world isn't bad but its combat and PVE are terrible. Wildstar suffers from a ton of mediocrity with some really bad elements and its combat is really over rated when you sit down with the classes and look at how they play. Doesn't help that Wildstars engine is pretty shitty and tends to chug a lot. There isn't much in either of those games that makes me over look their faults.

Obviously different strokes for different folks.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord

My money is on they do just that.

The reason being is that TESO is definitely going to lose people, how many is anyone's guess. But I think ArcheAge will be the only game in direct competition to TESO style-wise when it comes here, it's simply more like that than anything released in the past couple of years.

Trion isn't doing very well now so they need money. A lot of money. Defiance is likely going to fold up tent in the near future. I don't see that TV show going on much longer and Trion is now charging $100 for cash shop weapons. Can't be long to hit maintenance mode after DLC 5. End of Nations is hiding out somewhere in North Dakota in the Federal Witness Protection Program. Trove is going to be Dead on Arrival and if not, crushed by Everquest Next soon afterwards. Rift can't be able to hold onto what it's got for much longer as a base.. they really need ArcheAge to come through for them in the biggest way possible.

The best way they do that is to appeal to every carebear out there that is still tired of WoW and everything else, while trying to compete with decent PvP. If Trion tries to keep the game "hardcore" and go niche, then they may risk running off people who just left TESO and 90 day PvP lockdowns with much better players (DAoC represent).

I don't see how Trion, based on how they've acted as a company thus far, does anything other than cater to casuals and carebears here. They need to put some food on the table or more layoffs are coming.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

The Russian servers are amazing, active and there is shit tons of world PVP going on. Their cash shop is well done as is the sub model.

Game world is huge, stunning and well crafted. You really don't notice at first, but as you play through the game you realize the "feel" of the world is just great. I can't really put my finger on exactly why but it has to do with the varied landscapes, you don't feel like you're being funneled through a cattle sorter as you run around questing / grinding / whatever and everything just feels open / airy / beautiful. Helps that performance is mostly excellent and at max settings it is quite pretty. I've caught myself sitting on the oceans edge a few times and climbing hills / mountains to glide down. Its that pretty. Even better is the fact that the under water areas are extremely well done. I can't remember the last game that let me dive under water much less had actual content down there. WoW maybe? Anyway the game world is complete, not just some walled corridor you quest through. The difference is very noticeable.

The quests kind of suck. Doesn't help that its in russian or badly translated but in the end I doubt it will matter all that much. This isn't Mass Effect quality writing. Reality is though I don't mind. This coming from someone that had serious issues with WildStar, TESO and TERA questing. I managed to hit end game with Tera because the combat and dungeons were awesome but TESO and Wildstar PVE is garbage to me. Archeage questing fails to really impress on its own but the rest of the game is so good that I really don't care. I wouldn't stress about the questing in Archeage because the combat, character development, crafting, PVP, farmville, pharming aspects are so good I doubt you'll notice it. Fact is I haven't really thought about it or bitched about it one bit. In fact the mediocre nature of the quests gets enhanced by the PVP, crime, crafting, awesome world so much that its really a non issue at this point.

Combat. My favorite games are Tera bar none and WoW. Responsive combat is a must and Archeage has it. Even playing on a Russian server with higher pings the combat is satisfying. Abilities have "umph" / fire on time, you don't have ability bloat like in say EQ2 but it isn't the snore fest that GW2, TESO and wildstar. Nice middle ground for me. Yes it is tab targeted, that is one of my bigger complaints but despite my love for Tera style combat I have to say the combat in game is really well done.

Classes. Awesome. The combinations, synergies and different things you can do is pretty impressive. One of the better class systems out there. There are so many different builds being tried by our players and most everyone is fairly happy with what they are using. There should be lots of viable combinations even for min / maxers.

Grinding. Perfectly viable. In fact encouraged in certain ways. Just about every single mob type has an unofficial quest to kill it. Go there, pharm it and after you kill around 20 of them you'll get a pop up for xp bonus just like you turned in a quest. Kind of a nice touch. You can also over charge your quests which isn't really a new thing but if you have to kill 10 and you kill 15 you get a bonus. Might as well kill the extra 5 and get the unwritten bonus as well.

No shit loot. Well very little. Everything is valuable. Vendor trash is limited really to shit gear. Anything uncommon (green) or better you want to break down for the components. I really don't sell much stuff to vendors and I really like that.

Crafting / farming is very rewarding. Lots of really good upgrades and gear available through crafting. Lots of world gear, resources and drops will be needed to actually craft. Very good system and relies on players to interact. I can't stress enough how awesome the system really is. You just have to plop down a scarecrow and start farming up some mats and creating things. I'm not even a big crafter and neither are a lot of the PVP'rs I'm playing with but every single one of them has a farm and is enjoying the hell out of it.

PVP. The range you can be successful is wide. We've had people beat enemies that are 10 levels over them. Gear matters obviously but levels are not the end all be all of who will win a fight. So far it very well done and everyone I'm playing with is very pleased.

Overall I'm really impressed with the game. There are some blemishes but by far this is the most complete game to come to market since WoW. I haven't seen a game scratch so many different itches like this one does.
Pretty impressive review... I haven't seen anything this positive in a while. Then again, you don't have the ESO gang bangers arguing over every other post. Things are little calm here so you don't get a million sides to every story. I passed on ESO but this has popped back up on my MMO radar. I always give Scott benefit of the doubt as well.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Pretty impressive review... I haven't seen anything this positive in a while. Then again, you don't have the ESO gang bangers arguing over every other post. Things are little calm here so you don't get a million sides to every story. I passed on ESO but this has popped back up on my MMO radar. I always give Scott benefit of the doubt as well.
ArcheAge NA will get half of those ESO bangers later on.

Just hope and pray you get the good half.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
ArcheAge NA will get half of those ESO bangers later on.

Just hope and pray you get the good half.
Are there enough of us playing on the 'English" server that we can start grouping up / playing together? I'm enjoying the game, would be nice if i could find other English speakers but haven't had any luck yet. If you're actively playing Russian beta can you post your player name here? Mine is kazoraa , currently lvl 15 and completely clueless on how to spec but i seem to have some kind of healer/bard hybrid going

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is going to sound pretty stupid. I think if at all possible they should release this up against the new WoW expansion. People want something to play, something different. Wildstar and Teso will have bled off most of their playerbase by then. The pvp crowd is dying for a city building open world pvp game. The pve crowd just might be enticed by the housing aspect on their own carebear servers in Archage. Give people a reason to not go back to WoW and they just might not. Plus advertise the fuck out of pirate ships, everyone loves pirate ships. My 2 cents.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
This is going to sound pretty stupid. I think if at all possible they should release this up against the new WoW expansion. People want something to play, something different. Wildstar and Teso will have bled off most of their playerbase by then. The pvp crowd is dying for a city building open world pvp game. The pve crowd just might be enticed by the housing aspect on their own carebear servers in Archage. Give people a reason to not go back to WoW and they just might not. Plus advertise the fuck out of pirate ships, everyone loves pirate ships. My 2 cents.
Pirates. Fuck yeah!

Annoying it's been in a year since the Trion announcement and no beta in sight.