Archeage

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah there's some complaints about sieges being fairly shit and 1.0 not fixing it even though they had said they would fix it and further updates still not fixing it, which is one of the reason the game isn't doing that well in korea anymore. Also a lot of the 1.0 changes were shit. I guess it depends on how much freedom Trion gets to change shit in the game compared to the original version, if they can only port part of the 1.0 changes(class changes are supposedly very good but a lot of the other stuff is pretty bad) and so on.

Considering it's F2P though, people shouldn't bother too much with wether or not there's an endgame and shit. Play as long as you enjoy it and quit when you stop enjoying it, that's all there is to it really, you don't even feel bad if you quit after 2days since you spent no money.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The siege system needs work and there isn't any info on what they are changing specifically. Although given what is changed in game now compared to RU I'd say Trion either has a fair bit of control over things or this is an advanced version (1.1 or 1.2). Hard to tell at this point because there isn't enough people to really test the big stuff as of now.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
my biggest worry about this game is that there isnt a lot to do at the end. Theres no real open ended system to keep people playing on a daily basis. PvP is fun but theres no loss except when someone is carrying a trade pack. Not long after launch, you wont need the rewards from those trade packs, then its just empty pvp with no reward. Sieging is only once a week so you cant really count on that to keep people logging on.
i agree there needs to be some more but you do lose honor when you die and you gain it when you kill people. There are some really good rewards on the vendor as well. Add to that siege, crafting, getting your different ships or houses, PvP and simply dicking around (scuba / treasure / ships) and I think most people will be able to fill their days.

Hopefully they do some work on sieges though as they do need work. I'd like to see them two or three times a week.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Thanks for the detailed writeup.

My playtime is significantly a lot less... That doesn't bother me at all. With that said, what will a casual gamer like me be doing in this game when I eventually catch up in levels to everyone else?
I don't believe you'll have any major issues with your play time. You might be a little behind in leveling which might make you a bit of a target leveling but such is life. There will be people all over the level curve, group up and your more than a challenge for people even 10 or 15 levels over you.

The social community and meta game aspect really has me excited.

The social community and meta game aspect really has me excited.
This... *so* this as a SWG refugee. As much as Smedley brags about SOE's new zombie survival game being sandbox-y enough to draw back the SWG crowds, if you like fantasy, AA seems the way to go based on the details (especially with so little known about the other game).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Played a character up to level 10. First impressions:

Combat is really meh.
Class system is ok. It's a more open Rift. Way too many cooldowns, feels slow after playing ESO and no global cooldown.
Graphics are really basic. I would compare this game to a very up to date Runes of Magic. You can tell it was initially released a few years ago.

I need to dig into it a bit more. Might of selected a shitty collection of classes to begin with because all I'm doing is holding down the 1 button and hitting a shield slam for 100 damage, a heal spell with a 1.8s cast time that does 100 damage if not casted on myself. Or still press down 1.

The game must get better, but I don't know. For people in PRX who love the idea of 50 core people building a castle is fun or engineering a crafting ring for making uber gear is an awesome goal. Personally in the first hour or so of gameplay, it's not actually fun to play on a mechanic level. I'm going to give it another go later tonight if I have time.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think I might have to take back something about the classes and combat. Picked up Battlerage/Occultism/Aurmancy and I'm a Bloodreaver. Much more entertaining than starting Occultism. Difference in damage is crazy.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ya, shadowplay is a boring as fuck tree to start with. Hold down 1 for an attack thats barely better than an auto attack...then repeat for 10 levels. im playing as an archer in the alpha and went shadowplay first then archery, a tree with mostly long cooldowns. I spent 40 levels or so using that autoattack to do half a mobs life.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I ran Archer, shadow and Auro in RU and its a very late bloomer class but an excellent one. 35 is when it really starts to shine (the debuff hunter arrow ability is amazing for combos) and is butter after that especially when you get the cool toys from shadow at 40, 45 and 50.

Not all trees are the same but on average most of the specs have a fairly heavy distribution of "cool shit" towards the end which leads to the whole "you really don't come into your class until 35, 40 or even max level". Although on the flip side that also means you are looking forward to stuff as you level and don't have it all at 20 with just simple +1 upgrades. I'm ok with it for the most part.

They really could of put a little more love in the early trees damage wise so its not so combat isn't so basic for some of the trees. Fortunately leveling is simple so its trivial to get to 20 or 25 so its not like your waiting long to start to get some options. The combat skill distribution for some tress though could of been a little better.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
When a US developer/publisher like Trion adapts an Asian MMO for English speaking players, what exactly do they do (high level perspective)?

Do they 1) take the original developers design doc, specs, algorithms, requirements, etc and recode the game from scratch in English following the original specs or 2) take the original source code written in the Asian developer's language and just recode only the necessary files to display English text to the player and replace the audio files with English audio.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Depending on the contract they have, they get to dabble with parts of the code to change certain aspects of the game to fit the western audience better. This generally means removal or adjustements to RNG based stuff and F2P systems, rework of loot drop mechanics/rates and so on. It doesn't involve recoding the entire game, that'd be a huge waste of time and money. And obviously they also change all the text strings to english but that goes without saying. The amount of mechanics changed depends a bit on the ports, some have few, some have a lot.

They rarely add entirely new stuff, or it's small(in scale, it can still have a large impact) stuff. For example they might add a token system to loot instead of pure RNG, so mobs drop token and they add a basic vendor somewhere that sells gear for tokens. Implementation of such a system is easy to do but it has a very large impact on the game. On the other hand, adding say a matchmaking LFG tool to a game that doesn't have it is extremely unlikely. They might however work along the original developpers to add such a feature which also gets added to the original game in a patch.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
When a US developer/publisher like Trion adapts an Asian MMO for English speaking players, what exactly do they do (high level perspective)?

Do they 1) take the original developers design doc, specs, algorithms, requirements, etc and recode the game from scratch in English following the original specs or 2) take the original source code written in the Asian developer's language and just recode only the necessary files to display English text to the player and replace the audio files with English audio.
Here is a pretty good article with Harstman explaining what they have to do and changes between Korean and NA.

ArcheAge | Pre-GDC Interview Reveals Trion's Plan | MMORPG

I'm gonna start playing this tonight with two other guys. Anyone have suggestions on a good trio with skill lines that aren't ridiculously boring? NA if that makes any difference.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm gonna start playing this tonight with two other guys. Anyone have suggestions on a good trio with skill lines that aren't ridiculously boring? NA if that makes any difference.
You'll probably want a beefy, dps and a healer / hybrid

Beef:

Warfare, protection, shadow

DPS:

Sorcery, occult, auromancy or shadow
Archery is also very strong but a bit of a late bloomer

Hybrid,

Heal line (forget name), artistry, not sure.