Archeage

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Anti-PK is where it's at. No one cries harder than a ganker and I just love the idea of merc guilds protecting trade routes.
I am not a huge PvP guy but I will gladly assist in the collection of ganker tears.

I have spent a few hours now playing a couple of different character types and I have to say, I am really liking the game so far. There is something about it that feels... I don't know,free. I definitely get an EQ/DAOC/UO vibe at times; Plus the class system is great. Will probably try to play a number of combinations to get a feel for what I like. Surprising my current guy is quite magey: A Reaper. There is an awful lot of detail to work through, though, about what I want to play.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I think what confuses me about restricting Gilda Star income to essentially a PVP activity is that MOST gilda star items are designed for the farmville crowd. This makes no sense to me; there is no reason why they can't have their game and participate in a world where the ocean or the north is a dangerous place but they won't have to go there if they don't want to. Maybe its because the economy is still relatively new; if over the next couple weeks I see more and more housing/infrastructure designs available on the AH I suspect a lot of the rabbling will die down.

Don't get me wrong -- I personally enjoy PVP for profit when I feel that the risk versus reward is tuned appropriately... but I really wish Trion would err on the side of caution with this. 80 percent of Eve doesn't PVP and I see no reason why this game will be any different. CCP has tried for years to "lure" people out into low/null but for this type of player, there will not ever be a balanced risk versus reward.

You make a good argument, Eidal. I think this is just a question of risk vs reward. The big problem with a lot of games is that the risk vs reward metric is skewed to not reward risk at all. The game has to find the right balance of getting X% more reward for taking a route you can get killed on. Obviously a server with a heavy big pirate presence will have more risk.
CCP has tried for years to do this with Eve but the elephant in the room with Eve is that most PVPers use high-sec alts for their income. They're too afraid to really shit on the high-sec income level because they have reason to believe that if they turn high-sec into paupers then no one will play their game. I don't mean to say that no one in low/null/wh space makes isk -- obviously some do, but these are dedicated players who are committing a lot more than the typical eve high-sec player. And this typical eve high-sec player is 80 percent of the game.

tldr; everyone wealthy in Eve makes it in high-sec aside from a handful of coalition leaders who make it off the blood/sweat/tears of their minions. Dangerous space is for lol-fights or alliance warfare.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I see housing designs sold constantly already.

This change doesn't really effect non pvpers. They are not restricted from anything with this change. Instead of farming for mats and then making the run themselves, they farm for gold and buy the plans.

Also I would love to see where you got the "80% of EVE doesn't pvp" from.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I just love how the hardcore PVP types just do nothing but gank and grief non PVP folks. I thought they wanted a challenge? Seems they really just want fodder for their epeens. That's the type of PVP that people who hate PVP despise the most and it's usually what passes for world PVP in MMOs, hence the reason I say PVP in MMOs is stupid and a waste of time.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just love how the hardcore PVP types just do nothing but gank and grief non PVP folks. I thought they wanted a challenge? Seems they really just want fodder for their epeens. That's the type of PVP that people who hate PVP despise the most and it's usually what passes for world PVP in MMOs, hence the reason I say PVP in MMOs is stupid and a waste of time.
I understand somewhat, but in this game for example, if you are in a contested zone, you are no longer considered "non pvp folk" , you are a target. No such thing as "non pvp folk" in that regard. Non pvp folk actually go out of their way to either make sure they can never be attacked(ie never leave protected zones) or don't play a game where open world pvp is a huge majority of the game.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I understand somewhat, but in this game for example, if you are in a contested zone, you are no longer considered "non pvp folk" , you are a target. No such thing as "non pvp folk" in that regard. Non pvp folk actually go out of their way to either make sure they can never be attacked(ie never leave protected zones) or don't play a game where open world pvp is a huge majority of the game.
I think most of us on this board understand this. The question is: can Trion provide a game worth playing to the people who never want to be attacked? A game MUST provide for and keep the non-pvper happy. You can have a successful MMO with solely non-pvpers. You cannot have a successful MMO if they all leave because they don't like getting wrecked daily.

In regards to the Eve Online demographics, I was referencing 80 percent live in high-sec, 19 percent live in low/null sec, and then 1 percent live in WHs. Of the high-sec players, I think I read in the last report by the in-house economist that the huge majority only rarely engage in PVP and when they do, its typically consensual stuff with nothing on the line (FW/RvB).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno , a lot of assumptions in there. A game doesn't HAVE to do anything, if it doesn't follow their plans/goals etc.

And again this change does nothing to non pvpers, it doesn't restrict them from anything, because you can buy plans for gold. If plans were non trade-able and only available by stars, then yes you could make a complaint.

All this is doing is it seems is cutting down on all the no risk star farming and leaving the market up to intercontinental travel and thus pvp, which it seems that is where trion wants their focus. So the influx of designs hitting players hands will revolve solely around a mechanic where the risk is high and the chance at no stars entering players hands is pretty high, which imo is going to make a much better market when it comes to selling designs. Instead of atm where plans/stars can be flooded because its so easy to rack up stars and its a guarantee.

One solid note is this pretty much removes botters/RMT from the design selling market, if they want in that market they will have to subject themselves to risk or be at the mercy of the market price fluctuation.

Now if there was only a way to remove them from gold, but that is pretty much a impossibility(outside of going PVP everywhere).

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
One solid note is this pretty much removes botters/RMT from the design selling market, if they want in that market they will have to subject themselves to risk or be at the mercy of the market price fluctuation.

Now if there was only a way to remove them from gold, but that is pretty much a impossibility(outside of going PVP everywhere).
Well, for this to work properly there won't be much of a distinction between the design-market and the gold market. It'll be up on the AH and trade threads.

On a side note -- I heard it mentioned that Auroria mobs have a higher chance to drop loot? I've been doing the Hasla weapon grind since I hit 50 and haven't had a chance to get up there yet.

moontayle

Golden Squire
You mean setting up your EU servers in EU before release is a thing? Quick, someone tell Zenimax so they don't.... well shit, too late for that I guess.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's some truth in this. Most PvPers do love a good challenging fight, buy enjoy winning more. You don't see PL and NCDOT going at each other in eve for example (granted the strategic situation would make this a terrible choice for both), despite the fact it would be a very good challenge for the pvp egos. It's also about maintaining ego, n3/pl risks little by fucking with providence or Brave Newbies.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got my fucking farm. I got lucky on my way to do another donkey run and ran into a Death Law guild run of about 7 people. I think 3 with packs. We all died before turn in anyway but still managed to get close enough for the turn in to count. Enjoy your free Gilda stars Cult of Dinner I won't be doing that shit daily that's for sure. FYI I saw our first friendly battleship today... Studiously avoiding going into enemy territory.

On a side note they were somehow making seabugs clear off their speed boats. I couldn't figure out how they were doing it. They'd jump on then 10 seconds later all would jump off.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Watching that video just made me cringe a little inside. As a healer.. one of the fastest ways to get me to stop healing you is to keep telling me you need a heal. I mean, I don't constantly say in vent/TS "I need you to kill that red.. dps dps" With how mobile combat is and how short ranged heals can be, if you need a heal then stop attacking and move closer to me. Odds are.. I already have you targeted and am spamming a heal that will not go off cause you are out of range.