Archery - As a Hobby

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got a few bows left over from my brother in law which regrettably had a stroke last year so hes out of the hunting game. There is about three or four really nice ones at our cabin and fuck, I cannot even draw any of them, lol, are they adjustable? Im no weak ass bitch either im 6'2" and 220 and can bench my weight or close to it last time I tried.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Compound bows are adjustable. Recurve and longbows that are "traditional" aren't other than the further you pull back the harder it gets.

It's a musle you have to work on. I've seen some pretty built guys in bow shops have problems pulling back a bow. I started young with a pretty light pull and just worked up as I got older. Once you get it down it's kind of like riding a bike, it stays with you.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah im not into hunting or anything but weve got a few target deer up there and I would not mind fucking around sending some arrows down wind. And yes they are all compound. Next time im up there Ill take a few snap shots for you guys.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I got a few bows left over from my brother in law which regrettably had a stroke last year so hes out of the hunting game. There is about three or four really nice ones at our cabin and fuck, I cannot even draw any of them, lol, are they adjustable? Im no weak ass bitch either im 6'2" and 220 and can bench my weight or close to it last time I tried.
You also have to know the proper muscle to draw them with.

If you’re sticking your elbow out and trying to pull back, you’re using the wrong muscle group.

The correct draw has your elbow up above your shoulder and is a rotation down of your scapula.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Also the draw will start very tough but as you get a solid firm pull going, towards the end you hit the let off and suddenly is requiring a lot less effort to hold back. Just getting there can be scary when you are first trying it, especially if those are 70lb/80lb bows.

Trying to over do one that you are not ready for it is certainly possible to get bad shoulder injuries. Likewise for the love of god, do not try dry firing one (releasing without putting a shaft downrange). You'll destroy the bow.

And no, not all compounds are adjustable, and sometimes they are only adjustable from say 50-60 lbs. I dont think that many can go from a solid 70lb and adjust down to like a 40lb sissy.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
If they have limb pocket bolts, they’ve generally got about a 10-11lb adjustable range from draw weight down. Find the manual for it.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
IF the weight is adjustable, set it to the minimum setting, it all depends on the bow style/brand on how adjustable the settings are.

diamond has Several bows that are fully adjustable from 7lbs to 70lbs for pull. other brands can adjust 10lbs or so until you have to change the limbs.

currently i am at ~60 lbs for draw weight and think i might up it to 70 before hunting season, i did have a dryfire issue where the bowstring came off, but no damage to the bow or the string- but just in case i replaced the strings with a set of Gas Ghost XV strings. i have to install a new peep sight and re-tune the bow due to this change(this weekend), but it is all set and ready to rock otherwise.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
So I hurt my shoulder a month ago at the gym and my rotator cuff got all messed up. I've been doing physio and stretches and its getting better but I will miss the first month of deer season for sure in October. I've dialed the bow back down to 45lbs or so and can fire a couple of arrows but everything seems off and not comfortable. I really want to get out there this year but at the same time I need to get the shoulder healed up properly, sucks. I guess I will drive around and bust people hunting my land without permission to entertain myself until my shoulder is better...

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'd say try a left handed bow instead for a while but you would rapidly notice the off arm does a shitload of the work just holding it out there. Can you not hunt with a crossbow there?

kb

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Crossbow.

You can try lefty but if you are right eye dominant it will be difficult if you normally have both eyes open

Upgraded my bow -was not happy with how the diamond was sounding as I shot... so splurged and got a matthews vertix. Damn thing is almost silent.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I may borrow a friend's crossbow in October then. If I stick with archery I'll probably get a vertix or rx3 in a year or so.

Last edited:

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
CHECK on the local regulations, in my state, MA, Crossbow hunting is ILLEGAL for hunting, EXCEPT, if you are handicapped.

if you can get medically designated as handicapped, then you can use a crossbow to hunt in MA.

just keep checking bows-new ones will come out next year- SHOOT THEM before buying.

I shot the vertex and loved it. plus mathews has teamed up with QAD and their flagship bows have an integrated dovetail to mount the Rest on, when it is installed it is locked in place, no berger screw. just tighten the rail system and the rest is set -the unit- is perfectly set for the bow, then all you need to do is adjust the height/side to side for tuning the bow (i have to do that- will head to where i bought it next saturday and do adjustments at their outdoor range (i will do an initial tune at home(i can shoot up to 30 yards) but i need to a final tune at a distance i cannot do at home (over 30 yards) and i want to tune my broadhead/field point shots.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I had another physio appointment yesterday and I should be 100% in 4 to 6 more weeks as long as and don't do anything stupid, so I think I am just going to wait out October.

I will definitely try out several bows before I buy any, and would wait until I see what next year brings. I have been having a lot of company at the farm lately and wouldn't mind making my current bow into one that others can target shoot with at a lower poundage.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I had another physio appointment yesterday and I should be 100% in 4 to 6 more weeks as long as and don't do anything stupid,

Wasn't it "doing something stupid" that hurt your arm in the first place? I find the 'doing something stupid' injuries tend to reoccur quite often.

Good luck.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
No, it was just wear and tear over time basically combined with me not realizing it was actually really hurt and just pushing through the pain. I will adjust my gym workouts accordingly, getting old sucks.

1568922002567.png

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
yep getting old sucks, i'm 53 now.

then we get into the wrist strap vs thumb release style debate

for that i will say it is easier to draw the bow with a thumb style release.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
When I was getting my bow they told me to get a wrist strap style release. I have never used another kind. I've heard the thumb style is better for target archery and wrist best for hunting.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
When I was getting my bow they told me to get a wrist strap style release. I have never used another kind. I've heard the thumb style is better for target archery and wrist best for hunting.

I’d say that’s generally true. I think I actually want a wrist release for target shooting also. I like my Stan but it’s kinda a hassle when you’re walking around at range where you go from target to target and you have to keep track of it. I know I could tether it somehow but meh. I’m not a pro or competing so it’s not like I need every last iota of draw consistency.

This was $200 odd bucks as I recall.

35AA5DB8-5FFF-4975-8C6B-9332BB369C3F.jpeg
08704219-4063-4031-8144-BAC7865893C8.jpeg

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I've used the thumb exclusively for the past 4 months and love it. It is no harder or easier than wrist for shooting. One thing it can do is. . Sit nocked on your bow while you wait. Wrist you cannot without holding the bow. Personal preference. I might retry the wrist, but when I was checking draw weight the thumb style was easier to draw vs wrist

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
For a minute I thought you were talking about a Mongolian draw when you said thumb release. I tried that draw and it was painful. Does the thumb release rotate your hand?

I like a leather finger tab.