Archery - As a Hobby

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The string is behind the riser in every bow I know of. The thumb release pushes the string in the opposite direction from a conventional grip so the arrow is placed on the opposite side. The only competiitve shooter using that method I've heard of is Joel Turner. He has his bows made right handed with a left handed shelf to account for it.

What kind of competition are you talking about? There are many and I know there are some where people use nothing but this kind of release. Is that olympic style bullseye?

I didn't check, but the string would have to be behind the riser on these bows too because they are ambidextrous. But if I understand the technique right the bow is twisted out of the way on the release so the arrow doesn't have to go around it.

The shelf is to reduce the offset and a place for the arrow to rest while waiting to fire.

They haven't solved literally anything. The physics problem still exists.

Just curious, are you saying this as someone who is familiar with the mongol methods, or is it purely theoretical? Maybe you're being too literal with the word solve. As far as I know no technique, including shoot through systems or crossbows have completely eliminated it.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
What kind of competition are you talking about? There are many and I know there are some where people use nothing but this kind of release. Is that olympic style bullseye?

I didn't check, but the string would have to be behind the riser on these bows too because they are ambidextrous. But if I understand the technique right the bow is twisted out of the way on the release so the arrow doesn't have to go around it.

3-d and probably 20M stuff, barebow style. I'm quite sure there are competitions for eastern style shooting but it's basically unused in any major competition. Turner does well with it but he doesn't use mongolian bows, he uses takedown recurves.

As far as I know theres less paradox with a thumb release because of the way the arms line up but there is still paradox, the arrow has to bend to clear the bow. Not really sure what you mean by ambidextrous. Can be shot both left and right handed? Any bow without a shelf, shot off the hand , would be. It's worth doing if it's interesting but there's nothing that's being solved, it's just a different way of pulling the string.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Not really sure what you mean by ambidextrous. Can be shot both left and right handed? Any bow without a shelf, shot off the hand , would be.

Yeah that's what I mean by ambi. It was important to the mounted archer apparently to be able to shoot from any position in any direction. I think that's why they never put a shelf on their bows. It caught my attention because I shoot with both hands, but I've never had a single bow that allowed for it. Course, come to think of it, I guess I could shoot my right handed bows with the arrow on the outside like these guys do.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
The thumb grip draw works especially well for eastern style shooting. The way you grip the arrow forces the arrow against the bow, unlike the finger draw which would do the opposite, which is why western style does the arrow opposite.

The paradox is there though.

Friends son who is a marine is buying an English warbow, supposedly 170lb pull.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Went up in the tree stand this weekend. Didn't see anything in two sits. Will be back next weekend and with warmer clothes I underestimated the cold. Trying to get this guy....
image_72416910544083.png

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
EVERY time i want to go out, something happens, dad needs help with this or that at like 10am, kid needs a ride somewhere, i have a massage scheduled for 10:30 etc...sucks at times.

going to ATTEMPT to go out tomorrow to a spot i have scouted (mostly from Sat photos) and placed some possible waypoints in onxhunt to setup a "stand" to see if i can find a good game trail or 3 near those spots off of a hill in a valley near what looks to be a waterhole/ponding area for a stream and do a sit for 3-4 hr in the morning....

because my dad needs my help...again.... from ~11 to 1 or 2 for the church fair. and unfortunately work is open monday so i cannot go then (no hunting on sunday in my state)

been itching on trying the saddle method and have yet to actually climb a tree with it. (no good trees in my yard)

i do have a set of 8 wild edge steps coming next week-to go with the 2 i already have so i can ditch the climbing sticks.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Ever used climbing spurs? I don't know what kind of trees you have may not be an option.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
not an option in my area-i think . i could be wrong, but i am a beginner at the whole climb a tree with a lanyard/strap to the tree to stop falling bit.

the wild edge steps i got do not damage the tree, they press in but are allowed in all public lands due to the steps not penetrating far enough to cause damage.

Borzak

I've used those step poles that go together in pieces and you just tie them to the tree as you go up. The downside is you have to carry them in.

Similar to these. I've tried ones like this and the ones that stack on top of each other. Probably a pain in the ass to move around on public land tho. I used to hunt on public land and in the numerous years I never saw anyone at all. One tree I put screw in steps to they logged and I wrote those off, went out there one day and they unscrewed my steps and left them in a pile on the stump. Figured they would just unscrew them to haul to the mill and just pocket them.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
It was a bust again this weekend, no sightings. It was cold this weekend and I used some of those limited use foot warmers, things were awesome! Anyway back at it next weekend!

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
merino wool socks...
warmest things i have ever worn-they are comfortable too. i have a few different brands, some are better than others softness wise but all are great- darn tough brand is about the best though they are a bit expensive...lifetime warranty & made in vermont.

the thing with the edge steps is, once you get good at placing them, they go up as fast or faster than those climbing sticks...and a set of 8 weighs about 1/3rd to 1/2 as much as climbing sticks

putting the steps about 2-2.5ft apart means a set of 8 gets up 16-20 feet. with a step aider and the steps 3 feet apart you get up 24ft with 8 steps.

plus you can just take them down when you climb down in seconds. or leave them up.

Last edited:

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I moved my stand last weekend as with the recent snow and softer ground I could see the deer paths really well in the woods. Hunting again this weekend, let’s see if I have more luck. I found the perfect spot BUT the tree was too wide and my climbing sticks wouldn’t fit around the tree. I think next year I will set a ladder stand up on it for a more permanent stand. I also bought good cold weather boots and better pants, I’m hoping to stay warm now. Even tho I haven’t got a deer yet this year the hunters I allow on some of the properties got 2 bucks and a doe during gun season and brought me around 25lbs of meat!

I got a pair of the merino wool socks and I will say they hold heat better than the other socks I was wearing that were twice as thick. I will be buying another pair.

Last edited:

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i know, they are great, i am buying a pair to wear as slippers, soft comfy and WARM...which brand did you choose? or did you get generic

the 2020 line of bows are coming out now and some brands have some major revisions coming to their lines.

prime archery, their bows are getting the module adjustment setup now instead of having to use a bow press, undo a few screws rotate the module to the correct settings and all set, draw length adjustment from 25 1/2" to 31 in half inch increments and let off % from 65 to 90% with the cable stops being adjustable so that a person with a preferred draw length of like 29 3/4" can ajust the main adjustment to 29 1/2" or 30" and then adjust the cable stops the 1/4" needed.

PSE- just a few refinements, nothing major in revisions to their cam tech or bows

Bowtech - their "dead lock" cam tech and the rotating mods are going on more bows. the dead lock is..cam lean is adjustable with just an allen wrench on both sides no more having to use a bow press, removing the cable from cam, twist cable, replace on cam, undo press, checking timing/lean, rinse repeat until done., it is now for those bows. losen cam lock use wrench on the cam to adjust left or right, tighten lock, check to see if fixed, then done or adjust more.

for bow tuning/fixing what do you all have i made a few things plus the bowmaster g2 portable bow press and now i have a draw board, an arrow length cutter and a homemade bow stand.

draw board, - half inch iron pipe -wrapped in silicon to make it non marring attached to a 2x10 with a yard stick screwed on (i was off placing the yard stick by an inch on length measuring) with a cheap car winch attached at the end of the board, and a draw scale attached to the hook cost maybe 30 bucks to make (except for the scale that was 40 bucks).

the bow press i am using the bowmaster g2, with the ultimate limb brackets (i also have the brackets that are sold by bow master, but the ultimate limb bracket is significantly BETTER)-if you look the ultimate limb bracket up on amazon the pictured bracket is NOT what you get, it is now black and more refined but the basic shape is the same. this bracket will fit basically any bow and the little stubs on the inside that go in fit PERFECTLY into the end bracket/whatever they are called on mathews bows(without the plastic cap on the stubs) i have changed the bow string on both my bows with it and it worked great.

to hold the bow while using the bowmaster i am using a jig i made of 2 2x10 pieces with 2 2x4 sides holding it all in place, with carpet lined slots in the 2x10's that will hold the bow in firmly.

Last edited:

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Darn Tough Men's Hunter Boot Sock Full Cushion, they came highly recommended and I agree they are great to wear around the house, especially when we are at the farm since its an old house that is hard to heat well.

I'm getting a new bow next year, yes I know I just got one this year but I have many people visit and they all want to shoot so I want to use my current one as a "guest" bow that I can adjust often for just easy shooting. The new bow would be for me alone. I've been reading up on the new ones as well, i'm really liking the Matthews VXR 28 or 31.5 and will probably test one out in the spring.

I plan to setup a space to work on bows next year once I make some room, i'll figure out what gear I need later. The bow shop is close to an hour away and they aren't open on Sunday's which makes it hard to get to from the farm so I want to learn how to do everything on my own. Right now I am working on making a large target out of old carpet, I finished cutting the pieces last weekend and will finish it in winter.

One of the hunter's we allow on our land was cutting some dead trees on our property Monday...well he saw a large 12 point buck walk right by my tree stand. I'll be hunting there again on Saturday.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Thread to discuss bow and arrows...

Completely new to this but I want to setup an archery range on my property. I figure it's a good survival skill to know.

Seems like recurve bow is the way to go for beginners? Who here has experience?

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I watched this youtube video, and said fuck it and ordered a #50 from Alliexpress. I'll let you know how that goes in like... two months or so.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Archery thread in the grown up section I believe.....see if I find it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I like archery. I don't really know if recurves are the best for beginners, but since I'm philosophically opposed to those contraptions with wheels known as compound bows, it's all good. I have a recurve and a reflex long bow personally. You do not need much land to set up an archery range. Just a good berm to catch the misses. It can be in the form of a wooden wall. If you don't have a berm, then some woods will do but you will lose a lot of arrows. On the plus side, the hunt for arrows will give you incentive to not miss. Barring both of those, if you have an elevation change and can shoot down onto your target that's pretty good too. That's what i do at home.

My next bow will likely be a mongolian bow. I'm fascinated by mongolian archery.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Thread to discuss bow and arrows...

Completely new to this but I want to setup an archery range on my property. I figure it's a good survival skill to know.

Seems like recurve bow is the way to go for beginners? Who here has experience?
Hey did you know some @nazi moved our posts here?

Also, why doesn't @nazi tag Amod Amod ?