Arizona: Phoenix Suburbs.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My wife and I have been discussing uprooting our lives in PA, leaving everything behind and going out to somewhere else. We don't have anything set (and we may very well stay here), but the idea of Arizona popped into my head, so I want to investigate it a bit.

My wife found out there's a nice Japanese culture in Phoenix, so she's interested in that. But I was wondering about other things.

What's the job market like out there? I'm currently a VP at my family business, so I can't expect anything like that, but I'm wondering what type of places are out there.
How about hospitals? My wife is a nurse, so would want a new job as a nurse.

Is it family friendly? Our daughter will be 4 in January, and we've been debating having a 2nd child.

How is the area, crime related? We're in a fairly peaceful part of PA, even though it's close to Philly, but there's very little "big" crime. Minor theft and shit, but that's about the extent of it.

Lastly, what's the weather like on a yearly basis? Temperatures, humidity, rainfall... does it ever snow? Anything really. I just want info. Is Arizona one of the areas that has to worry about flash fires all the time, the way Cali and Utah do?

Oh yeah, regarding Pets: We have a pitbull. I know some cities have breed specific legislation saying pits are off limits, so I'm wondering if that area is one of them.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
you should put a bullet in that pitbull if you have the best interests of your daughter in mind

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My wife and I have been discussing uprooting our lives in PA, leaving everything behind and going out to somewhere else. We don't have anything set (and we may very well stay here), but the idea of Arizona popped into my head, so I want to investigate it a bit.

My wife found out there's a nice Japanese culture in Phoenix, so she's interested in that. But I was wondering about other things.

What's the job market like out there? I'm currently a VP at my family business, so I can't expect anything like that, but I'm wondering what type of places are out there.
How about hospitals? My wife is a nurse, so would want a new job as a nurse.

Is it family friendly? Our daughter will be 4 in January, and we've been debating having a 2nd child.

How is the area, crime related? We're in a fairly peaceful part of PA, even though it's close to Philly, but there's very little "big" crime. Minor theft and shit, but that's about the extent of it.

Lastly, what's the weather like on a yearly basis? Temperatures, humidity, rainfall... does it ever snow? Anything really. I just want info. Is Arizona one of the areas that has to worry about flash fires all the time, the way Cali and Utah do?

Oh yeah, regarding Pets: We have a pitbull. I know some cities have breed specific legislation saying pits are off limits, so I'm wondering if that area is one of them.
I moved to Glendale on the border of Peoria over two years ago. As far as hospitals, people move out here to die so always good work there. Crime is probably less then most major cities but depends on what area you move to. It's just too god damn hot to be fucking around breaking the law and shit in summer.

Weather is perfect for 8 months of the year June-Sept sucks. Haven't seen snow in over two years, don't miss it, fuck that shit. Low humidity, hardly ever rains, it is a desert after all. Flooding no and flash fires no. The worst you really get out here is 115 degree heat and the pussy ass storms that locals freak out about because the wind gets up to aroun 30 miles an hour! It does some damage to the shitty trees they planted out here but not much else. The locals also freak out around december when you can get an overnight low of around 34 degrees. You will see them in parkas even though during the day it gets back up to 60 plus.

If you aren't a pussy, for 8 months of the year you wont have to run your heating or AC. Those other 4 months your ac will be on 24/7 and will easily get electric bills over $200. It's also rather void of culture or neighborhoods if you ware used to something from the east coast or midwest. Everything is grid and sterile. Good news is you wont ever have to meet your neighbors since everything is surronded by 7 ft walls.

Don't think there is anything against pitbulls. At least I hope not since I have a Pit/bull mastiff mix.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Phoenix is a great place if you want to live in a vacuum as Abefroman said. There is nothing unique about anything there, cactus, track homes and lots of beige.

Very minimal crime outside of the areas you shouldn't be living in anyways though a high amount of meth users that are always out on the prowl. I grew up in Peoria /Glendale area and it's real tame over there with lots of hospitals around, especially geriatric related businesses.

If you sell your house in PA, you will likely be able to buy a McMansion out in AZ.

Edit: It's exactly like Socal but without the parts that make Socal actually enjoyable

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I moved here a few years ago.

1) People whine about the summer. Besides the electrical bill it's not that bad. You can't do strenuous shit outside mid-day to afternoon and the evenings can be around 95-105 but it's really not terrible once the sun is gone. I've never seen so many climate pussies in my life.
2) Water/moisture isn't an issue. Stuff bakes but it doesn't rot as much. Everything lasts longer and looks cleaner. This is almost bad because it makes apartment/house hunting deceptive.
3) Not much crime for the 6th largest city in the US. I experienced more in New England. It's there, but you really have to try for it OR expose yourself to opportunity (ie leave shit outside for a week).
4) The Japanese cultural stuff is... as far as I can tell one garden place and some festivals. There is no 'J-Town' that I've found.
5) There's not much to do in the way of super exciting downtown/clubs/arts/etc. There are almost weekly conventions and shit (auto auctions, masters tourney, home show, gun show, etc.), though. Your primary source of real 'world class' entertainment will be Vegas, a 4 hour drive away or LA/SD @ 5-6 hours away. If you like outdoors or wanted to buy offroad vehicles or a camper/boat, however, Phoenix is surprisingly close to a lot of cool places for weekend trips and such.
6) Phoenix got hit VERY hard in 2009. The job market is not fully recovered. If your wife is a legit RN and not just a CNA she will get a job immediately without trouble. I'd figure out what you are looking for first. Call center mecca, tons of retail/service, lots of small biz, few industrial jobs. No idea on tech - seems not as friendly as MA/NH for that?
7) It's not cheap. That is a lie. Property/housing is RELATIVELY cheap in SOME places and prop taxes are low, but sales tax is insane (almost as bad as CA) and there's income tax. Public schools vary from decent to shitty. Do not bite on the lie that Phoenix is dirt cheap to live in, because it's not unless all you buy is clothing, food and pay on a mortgage. EVERYONE eats out ALL the time and restaurants here are mid-high on pricing. You can find some cheap places but not many that are also good. 8.3% sales tax + 2.7%(+) income tax adds up real fast.
8) You can bring your pitbull but a lot of HOA forbid them and most newer places have HOAs. YMMV

That said, I'm fairly ambivalent. I don't hate it, I don't think I love it (yet, anyway). I'm not really bored but it's a bit different. Communities and cool things are scattered a bit instead of being in one central downtown or what not, people are generally friendly but stick to themselves for the most part. There's a lot of transients and people seem slower and more lackadaisical but not deep south levels of bad. No one can drive, especially in the rain.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just moved away from the Phoenix area after living there my whole life. Everyone else covered it pretty well, but if you have any specific questions, go ahead!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I think Chandler is the suburb we're thinking of. Again, still not 100%. I'll have my wife come up with a bunch of questions. Thanks a lot for the info thus far.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Another option that might be even better for us... Tennessee. It has all 4 seasons, which we like, but the winter is mild and relatively short in comparison to Philadelphia's 6 months of the year. That's a very real possibility as well.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Getting a job as a nurse can't be too hard. My sister got hired at a major hospital here with about a years experience.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Another option that might be even better for us... Tennessee.It has all 4 seasons, which we like, but the winter is mild and relatively short in comparison to Philadelphia's 6 months of the year. That's a very real possibility as well.
I don't understand people who feel this way.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I like having all seasons. I personally get bored of summer once fall comes and I get over winter by the time spring comes.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I like having all seasons. I personally get bored of summer once fall comes and I get over winter by the time spring comes.
We never get a real winter here but I do enjoy the change, once summer rolls around you are ready to go full blast on summer activities and winter let's you catch up on video games amd movies.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Exactly. It helps break your year up. Adds just a little more spice to life.
There are winter activities & summer activities, but also spring/fall (they're pretty much the same thing, just reverse)

It's really nice just having a change.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Being able to have BBQs all year round and park partying trumps all that shit. If you don't live in an area that has mountains what activities do you gain from winter?

It's easy to tell what season it is by what sports are on TV.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I look forward to the play by play of the seasons changing for those who love them while you are digging your ass out after 2 feet of snow. I will walk into my backyard and bbq in my shorts while having a cold beer in your honor.