Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't even see what it matters what your number is, all that matters is what you look like, the arbitrary number you assign to that is pretty pointless.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It doesnt matter, and the tests are supposed to show relativity of person A vs B, its just that they are so inaccurate its pointless to even get the test done. A well trained eye can ballpark it better anyways.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It doesnt matter, and the tests are supposed to show relativity of person A vs B, its just that they are so inaccurate its pointless to even get the test done. A well trained eye can ballpark it better anyways.
This.

All body fat measurement tests are garbage in my opinion.

The value in them is as a measure over time. If you do a bod pod or DEXA and get 15% and then 4 months later get 13%, you can be relatively sure you lost about 2%. But whether you're actually 13% depends and it's better to just use the eye test.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Dexa and everything else are all wildly innacurate. Definitely below 13.7, you can see some bodybuilders who post their dexa scans showing 5% who are closer to 10 and some who are lean as fuck and prolly 5-6% showing close to 10.

Conor McGregor had a dexa scan done showing him at 7% while Alberto Nunez (below) had one doneonly showing him at 6.8%. McGregor is lean, but in this realm hes not even on the same planet as Nunez who ffs has ass striations.

maxresdefault.jpg
Though I've respected the dedication and focus of it, I've always found dudes who looked like this to be a little gross. But recently I've really appreciated the workout vids done by people who have this kind of look, because it really helps to understand what the muscles being engaged look like (or would look like if I wasn't so small)

This video is a good example of that:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I'm about a week into switching from a 3 month long, 1600kcal, <20g carb, 170g protein diet to a 3200kcal, 200g protein, 120g fat diet. I also started taking creatine when I started eating carbs again. In the first 4 days I gained around 7lbs, but it's stayed there for a few days.

7lbs of initial gain of water weight from glycogen + creatine is a little less than I expected to gain. I lost about 10lbs in the first week of doing keto and assumed I'd gain it all back when I started eating carbs again.

Anyway, I figure I've stabilized and can start tuning my caloric intake a little more based on my weight gain over time. There's a pretty wide variance in outputs of the different caloric expenditure calculators based on your exercise regimen. On one side you've got bros like Ossoi Ossoi talking about 10-12kcal per lbs (2000 to 2400 kcal for me), on the other side you've got Calories Needed for a 31 year old, 203 lb Male talking about 2900 calories for someone doing "moderate" exercise. Add 500kcal to that for what some people recommend for gaining and you're at 3400 which is more than I'm doing now.

I had a very consistent diet on keto, but I think it'll be harder now because A: I'm eating so much more quantity, B: It's harder to eat 3200kcal of the same food every day than it is to eat 1600cal of the same food. But I've been pretty reliably hitting 3200 according to myfitnesspal.

My notional goal is to gain 0.5lbs to 1lbs a week, so I'll track my weight over the next week and adjust intake over time. My weight variance on keto was pretty small (standard deviation within a single pound in the last few weeks of it), but we'll see how it goes with this diet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and I got this scale last night:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FHELB56

It pegged me at 24% body fat which feels about right. I don't really care if it's accurate in an absolute sense, but I'm hoping it's at least accurate in a relative sense. Ex: if I start to get visibly fatter on my diet "eat everything in sight" diet ( Araysar Araysar ), that figure should go up.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
On one side you've got bros like Ossoi Ossoi talking about 10-12kcal per lbs (2000 to 2400 kcal for me), on the other side you've got Calories Needed for a 31 year old, 203 lb Male talking about 2900 calories for someone doing "moderate" exercise. Add 500kcal to that for what some people recommend for gaining and you're at 3400 which is more than I'm doing now.

There is no variance - if you look at the numbers, 2400 to cut, +500 to 2900 for maintenance and +500 to 3400 to gain. The numbers are spot on.

I maintain that your plan of gaining weight is flawed and all you're doing is increasing how far you'll have to cut. If you want to get stronger then you should gradually increase calories and do so every time your lifts/progression stall, but whatever, Faster, Softer, Slower, Stronger

I read something last night to the effect of, the easiest way to look 10lbs bigger is to lose 10lbs of fat

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There is no variance - if you look at the numbers, 2400 to cut, +500 to 2900 for maintenance and +500 to 3400 to gain. The numbers are spot on.

I maintain that your plan of gaining weight is flawed and all you're doing is increasing how far you'll have to cut. If you want to get stronger then you should gradually increase calories and do so every time your lifts/progression stall, but whatever, Faster, Softer, Slower, Stronger

I read something last night to the effect of, the easiest way to look 10lbs bigger is to lose 10lbs of fat
Yeah you might be right.

However, don't you think that escalating your caloric intake whenever your lifts/progression stall will ultimately result in a significantly slower lifting progression than overestimating caloric intake and reducing when one gains too much fat?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yeah you might be right.

However, don't you think that escalating your caloric intake whenever your lifts/progression stall will ultimately result in a significantly slower lifting progression than overestimating caloric intake and reducing when one gains too much fat?

So the question is if increasing calorie take by 500 calories a day = quicker strength gains than by 100. I don't think so.

Let's assume someone is on a standard beginners 5x5 strength program like stronglifts, the target progression is to increase the weight by 2.5kg next session when 5x5 is reached on each exercise. I don't think +500 is going to mean quicker progression.

As I keep saying, a beginner is primed to get stronger, burn fat and build muscle even when eating at a deficit. A lot of the strength gains have nothing to do with calories but are due to neural adaptation.

I also don't think that your +500 and increased carb intake is warranted by your DB set up. Carb intake is directly correlated to intensity/volume of activity and the reality is that DB only exercises aren't going to be as intensive as barbell squats, barbell deadlifts etc

It really depends what your priority is - body composition aka looking good (ripped, leaner, abs etc), putting on mass and getting bigger, or focusing on strength.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So the question is if increasing calorie take by 500 calories a day = quicker strength gains than by 100. I don't think so.

Let's assume someone is on a standard beginners 5x5 strength program like stronglifts, the target progression is to increase the weight by 2.5kg next session when 5x5 is reached on each exercise. I don't think +500 is going to mean quicker progression.

As I keep saying, a beginner is primed to get stronger, burn fat and build muscle even when eating at a deficit. A lot of the strength gains have nothing to do with calories but are due to neural adaptation.

I also don't think that your +500 and increased carb intake is warranted by your DB set up. Carb intake is directly correlated to intensity/volume of activity and the reality is that DB only exercises aren't going to be as intensive as barbell squats, barbell deadlifts etc

It really depends what your priority is - body composition aka looking good (ripped, leaner, abs etc), putting on mass and getting bigger, or focusing on strength.
Thanks. I dropped to 3000 calories and will see how the next week goes.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just started an extreme cut to get as lean as possible before starting a true 3-6 month bulk with max effort diet adherence (which is not something I've ever been able to do)

Since my Dexa scan last week my diet relaxed too much and I had a few days fully off the wagon. I'm at 74kg and I have never gone lower than 73kg, aiming for 70kg and sub 10%. This will then give me a foundation to focus on getting bigger.

Anyway the plan is:

1.5g protein per lb = 240p
0.25g carbs per lb = 40g
0.25g fat per lb = 40g

Total: 1480 calories.

Day 11, Day 16 and day 19 I will have a carb refeed of 120g carbs per day then in the final few days I will carb load on 200g carbs per day

Normally I would aim for 10-12 cals per lb which at 163lbs is 1630-1956, so if I end up on 1500-1700 then I'm not going to lose any sleep.

Training will be back-shoulders, chest-arms, legs and abs split with HIIT on rest days and aiming for 10k steps per day

If anyone wants the exact program then just let me know

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dexa is the gold standard, ignore the head reading because that counts the brain.

Just on limbs/torso I was 12.8%, lost some motivation since the scan though and my diets been off last few days

Oh and it was only £30 at a hospital 10 minutes walk from my house

I thought hydro was the gold standard? I plan on dropping another 20 pounds, and then getting tested. My trainer believes that at 227, I will be approaching single digits. We'll see.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Conor McGregor had a dexa scan done showing him at 7% while Alberto Nunez (below) had one doneonly showing him at 6.8%. McGregor is lean, but in this realm hes not even on the same planet as Nunez who ffs has ass striations.

Water retention?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought hydro was the gold standard? I plan on dropping another 20 pounds, and then getting tested. My trainer believes that at 227, I will be approaching single digits. We'll see.
Are you like 7 feet tall or are you juicing?

Single digits at 227 would be fucking massive.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are you like 7 feet tall or are you juicing?

Single digits at 227 would be fucking massive.

I'm 5'7" and not juicing. I used to be 5'10", but I think all those years of powerlifting have compressed my spine. I am considering doing a competition next year, but I don't think I can make the weight cutoff for classic. Yet I'm too small for bodybuilding.

I'd like to say it was all me, but my trainer has really shown me how to fine tune and improve my diet. My nutrition is way better than it was a few years ago. I eat more fruits and veggies, and take one of those superfood shakes that has like nine servings of fruits and veggies. I take super-micronized creatine that cuts on the bloating. And I take a supplement called ZMA that has greatly improved my recovery. It puts you in REM sleep longer (which is where you heal). I recommend this for anyone that is training hard.

It is so much easier to abuse my body when my nutrition and rest are so much better than they were.

I don't consider 227 at single digits to be massive, because to be super shredded would mean I need to be somewhere around 210. That's not big, bodybuilding wise.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
LOL...okay then. 5'7" at 210 and 10% is an FFMI of 29.66...which would make you one of the most genetically gifted humans to ever walk the earth.

Anrold is 6'2" and won the Olympia at about 235.

You either have no idea what you're talking about, or you're running a ton of drugs.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users