Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The point is if you're that fucking fat, you're benching what... 1.5x your body weight if that?

This dude is pulling 4.5x his bodyweight. That's impressive. Has nothing to do with body fat %. Some of the strongest men in the world are 20%+, but when they're pulling 1000 pounds then it becomes impressive.
I'd agree with you if a dude could get a 400lbs bench by just being fat. Is a 200lbs person benching 400lbs more impressive than a 300lbs person doing it? Of course. But if you take a fatty who never lifted a day in his life, they're a long way away from benching 400lbs.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'd agree with you if a dude could get a 400lbs bench by just being fat. Is a 200lbs person benching 400lbs more impressive than a 300lbs person doing it? Of course. But if you take a fatty who never lifted a day in his life, they're a long way away from benching 400lbs.

Yea but... so? There's no competitions to win for putting up weight in the gym. You still just look like a fat huge dude. "Yea but I can bench 400lbs!" gets you what? You're not a furniture mover. You're doing this for appearance. If you look like that, what was the point?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yea but... so? There's no competitions to win for putting up weight in the gym. You still just look like a fat huge dude. "Yea but I can bench 400lbs!" gets you what? You're not a furniture mover. You're doing this for appearance. If you look like that, what was the point?
I think this post is a pretty prime example of what I mean when I said narrow minded. The guy probably wants to look like some huge fat guy, so that's what he's going for and he's totally succeeded. It takes a lot of work to be a big fat guy who can do reps of 400lbs, and it's impressive whether that's the kind of body you want or not. The dude didn't just eat his way to the body he has, he had to move a lot of weights.

Compare it to the climber dude in this video:

you could just as easily say, "Yeah you can hang onto a ball with your fingers, so what? you going to hang off of walls and shit? What's the point", but to me it's impressive.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think this post is a pretty prime example of what I mean when I said narrow minded. The guy probably wants to look like some huge fat guy, so that's what he's going for and he's totally succeeded. It takes a lot of work to be a big fat guy who can do reps of 400lbs, and it's impressive whether that's the kind of body you want or not. The dude didn't just eat his way to the body he has, he had to move a lot of weights.

Compare it to the climber dude in this video:

you could just as easily say, "Yeah you can hang onto a ball with your fingers, so what? you going to hang off of walls and shit? What's the point", but to me it's impressive.

Also I think his numbers are totally made up and a typical example of Lyrical exaggeration. He's nowhere near 10% body fat, but he will insist his "pro trainer" says he is.

If he just wants to be strong thats fine. I think it's ultimately pointless and destructive to his body (wonder what his blood pressure and heart attack risk look like already) but if what he wants its fine. It does take a lot of work, I never said it didn't. I just don't see the point.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So back to me being a newbie: I did leg day yesterday, is it normal for my legs to feel like jelly after only my third set of squats? Or is that an indication of me being a pussy / doing them wrong / having a shit diet / whatever? Is it going to get easier even as I progress into higher weights?

Right now I'm doing three sets each of Dumbell squats, Dumbbell front squats and DB bulgarian split squats. I'm able to get through all three OK but with long rest periods, and am not sure if 9 sets total is enough volume?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So back to me being a newbie: I did leg day yesterday, is it normal for my legs to feel like jelly after only my third set of squats? Or is that an indication of me being a pussy / doing them wrong / having a shit diet / whatever? Is it going to get easier even as I progress into higher weights?

Right now I'm doing three sets each of Dumbell squats, Dumbbell front squats and DB bulgarian split squats. I'm able to get through all three OK but with long rest periods, and am not sure if 9 sets total is enough volume?

Perfectly normal. It sort of gets easier but not really. I think your body will get acclimated to the exhaustion it goes through with the big lifts so it seems easier but squats and deads will always take a toll.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They're maxing out on steroids, they're training as a full time job, they're eating 10k+ calories per day. I assume they are already as close as possible to how much muscle they can physically add, I doubt that muscle mass and body fat is even a metric they check. Their sole focus is on "Am I getting stronger"

They're not the target audience of the blog.

P.S

I also have it on good authority that "colombian marching powder" isn't just for marching, at least not in competitive strongman circles
Not only are they on steroids, but you're talking about guys that have been training their entire lives versus an article aimed at brand new lifters.

What works for someone who's been doing it for 2 months is not the same as 20 years.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Ok dudes, I have a question. I am going to go hiking up a mountain in a few months. It will be 8 hours a day / 4 day hike with about 35-40 pounds on my back. I am in alright shape, I dont lift a lot of weight but I do lift. Cardio isnt so hot, usually about 20-30 minutes on a rowing machine once or twice a week and I certainly dont do any fucking walking during non gym hours. Any advice as to what the fuck to train for? Should I get some wrist and ankle weights and walk on a treadmill for hours? Or is there an option that wont make me want to shoot my brains out?

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Put your boots and pack on and go walking. It's probably going to suck. Do some extra cardio and work on core stability at the gym.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ok dudes, I have a question. I am going to go hiking up a mountain in a few months. It will be 8 hours a day / 4 day hike with about 35-40 pounds on my back. I am in alright shape, I dont lift a lot of weight but I do lift. Cardio isnt so hot, usually about 20-30 minutes on a rowing machine once or twice a week and I certainly dont do any fucking walking during non gym hours. Any advice as to what the fuck to train for? Should I get some wrist and ankle weights and walk on a treadmill for hours? Or is there an option that wont make me want to shoot my brains out?
I'm no hiking expert but unless some hike-bro answers my recommendation would be to look online on how to start hiking. The only thing I do know to be careful of is to take care of your feet. Keep them dry and avoid blisters which can set back your hike-gainz.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Found running about 15miles a week really helped with leg soreness and fatigue
I've heard of a lot of benefits to doing HIIT sprinting. I might replace my morning workouts that are focused on continuing my physical therapy workouts for my shoulder with it, or just some normal running.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Target your calves the next couple months or you literally wont be able to walk on day 2. Other than that just get cardio in and focus standard leg workouts. Seriously dont forget the calves though.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Make sure you stretch if you start focusing on calves. The blue plastic calf stretchers are great and most gyms have them.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can't remember the last time my legs were jiggly post- or intra-workout. Soreness usually sets in after a day of playing basketball or tackle football, rarely ever from deadlifting/squatting at this point.

And I think you're underestimating how easy it is to be really fat and really strong Tuco. There's this Asian dude at my gym who doesn't squat or deadlift, only benches of the big three. He's probably 5'8 300 pounds and can bench 405 easily. But he's literally just a giant ball of fat. I've seen it time and time again. It's literally unimpressive to me. Even if Lyrical provided a video of him squatting 600... still unimpressed if he's 300 pounds doing it. That's a 2x body weight squat, which isn't difficult to hit.

But I'm just an elitist I guess.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you're hiking 8 hours a day, I strongly recommend forgoing hiking boots and finding some comfortable trail runners.

As for training, just start hiking. Eventually you'll find your hiking legs.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure you are very strong Lyrical but saying you're anywhere close to 10% is laughable. I'd guess 25%.

I never said that. My trainer thinks that somewhere in the 220's would put me at 10%. We'll see.
Unfortunately, at the glacial pace he allows me to drop weight, it may be January. If I drop one pound a week, he says good job. If I drop over two pounds, It's not good in his opinion.
I know I could do this in four weeks if I was on something, but that feels like it would be cheating. Also, I tend to rebound after taking any fat burner anyway. I'm for sure I cold stack clen and t3 and drop 20 pounds fast, but then there's the rebound.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also I think his numbers are totally made up and a typical example of Lyrical exaggeration. He's nowhere near 10% body fat, but he will insist his "pro trainer" says he is.

If he just wants to be strong thats fine. I think it's ultimately pointless and destructive to his body (wonder what his blood pressure and heart attack risk look like already) but if what he wants its fine. It does take a lot of work, I never said it didn't. I just don't see the point.

Go back and read this thread. I was very clear, my trainer believes I will be at 10% in the 220's. When I was 247, he told me I'd need to drop 40 pounds for a competition.

My tests are fine. When I was 273, my BP was 140/90ish, but at 244, last time i checked it was 126/73. My blood tests are perfectly fine.

It's easy to talk shit from behind a keyboard. But I'm pretty sure you were in here a few months bragging about how you were doing dumbbell rows with 50 pounds.

Last edited: