Arrival (2016)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Man, that was a powerful short story. Especially if you have kids.

It really was good. There were a lot of takeaways I was trying to explain to my wife and then eventually looked up the Wiki entry, which used much more better language to describe the topics I was attempting. It resonated even more since we lost my brother a couple of years ago and it was easy to imagine my Mom sort of telling that story or relating those memories.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Jesus, I read Ted Chiang's short story the "Show me what you got" meme is very fitting.

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Didn't realize it was out this week. 100% RT with 74 reviews, damn.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yup, enjoyed it. There was a moment where suddenly things clicked and I just went "ohhh Jesus shit" and started crying, while my girlfriend was next to me going "wait, what? did I miss something" because she hadn't figured it out yet. She had it by the end, but I can totally see a good amount of people walking out not really understanding. If you want a sci-fi drama, this should hit the spot.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Glad to hear this is turning out well. I had bought some awesome seats a few weeks ago, then found out I have to work this weekend (FML). Will be a week, but can't wait to see it! Love some good sci-fi!

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
WEll fucking done I really enjoyed this movie alot
so time could be perceived threw there language. I only had a problem with a time paradox of how did she know what to say the first time around.

solid 9/10

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Really enjoyed this, wasn't what I expected at all. 8/10. Pretty emotional, if you're bringing someone that is susceptible to that sort of thing.

Pretty slow at times too, if you're bringing someone like the mouth-breather who fell asleep and started snoring in my theater.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Can't wait to see this, i've wanted to eat Amy Adams asshole for as long as I can remember, so this movie should be awesome.

• 1Solidarity

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
7/10 Maybe I went in expecting too much with all the good reviews. The human story was good, but it really was slow and the sci fi fell somewhat flat. I didn't read any specific spoilers prior, but did get from brief reviews that there was some big twist at the end. From that you could sort of tell where the movie was going from the beginning, and that moment wasn't all that surprising when it came. There was a lot of foreshadowing regarding it, maybe too much.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
yeah I went in only knowing "it will make you sad if you have kids" which someone here posted and from that one liner of a spoiler I pretty much knew the ending straight away because my mind wouldn't let me not think about how the fuck that applies to this movie especially the opening sequence and then duh, that's how.

the scifi bits fell a bit flat. So understanding their language lets you see the future? Ok but then in the future she writes the fucking book and teaches everyone their language, so now everyone can see the future? dafuq

Juvarisx

Florida
I think the point was that if you learn their language Linguistic relativity - Wikipedia applies (remember they had a small convo about it). You really are not seeing the future but essentially you live outside time and it would be irrelevant when you learn a critical piece of information because you can go to the point in your life when you learn it and apply it where you choose. She was literally being given the message from the Generals wife and repeating it back to him at the exact same time. Its a really hard idea to wrap your head around.