Art

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i think saying a video game is art might be the wrong way. A video game can contain art. And I don't mean it as a literal painting in a game. I do mean as the experience, in the same way a movie, book or song might be. And there is certainly skill required in crafting an experience that the developer, writer, director intended you to experience.

I should point out that keyword "experience" is the slippery slope that lead to abstract, dada, avant garde, modern art and shit.
Personally I feel its the artists primary job to MAKE you experience some specific response. that is the point. that is the point, to make sure everyone that looks at it, "gets it". The problem with that is, well everyone or just your intended audience? and well that, "you aren't my audience" is a giant loophole for shitty artists to justify their ineptitude. or even revel in it.
I dont feel like you're saying any different than the previous guy did. I also dont like people saying that an artist's job is to make you "experience" something. That is so broad and generic that it can be construed as anything.

I can experience incredulity or indifference looking at the shittiest and banal art in the world. I am experiencing something, but is that a worthwhile experience? I should be experiencing awe, amazement, when I see art - and not experiencing "why did this asshole draw this?"

Szlia

Fair enough. What then separates a highly praised abstract painting from an ignored one?
I would say a key element is historical relevance. Maybe I can make something that looks like a painting Pollock would have made, but I am just imitating him 60 years later, while he refined a technique and made it his own and produced his works in a specific context. He was part of an avant-garde that has been academically legitimated. For contemporary abstract pieces, again, it's just like music: there is a big social component and a big luck component on top of the qualities of the work, qualities that can be both objective and subjective.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There are three parts in your post, let me address all three.

1) The gamut in abstract art is about as large as the gamut in music (and I'll pretend you were not dissing Steve Reich). For every hyper 'noisy' Jackson Pollock painting, there is an intense monochrome by Yves Klein or the serenity of a composition by Mark Rothko, etc, etc. The linearity of music, the fact it is an art of time, allows us to maybe project with more ease a kind of narrative continuity to it, but it is in no way less abstract than abstract painting. A C flat on the harpsichord in a Bach piece represents nothing other than itself; the sound you get when you press that key of the harpsichord. Yet, there are moods, there are movements, there are conversations in musical pieces. That's the power of abstraction (and an enigma to neurologists and sociologists): music cannot show sadness or tell sadness (or joy, or loneliness or rage) but it still can communicates it.

2) The idea that the camera replaced the painters' 'historical role' is assuming that their role was to make a realist representation of reality. You will find that outside some artistic movements delimited to specific times and specific places it was never the case.

3) As a general rule I hate pranks, because it's social manipulation + editing. In that specific case, an exhibition is curated so the visitors come with the expectation that someone, most of the time more knowledgeable than them on the topic of the exhibition, selected a number of artworks. With that frame of mind, most visitors will give the benefit of the doubt to what they see. Maybe they'll like it, maybe they won't, maybe they will find it worthy to be selected, maybe they won't, but they'll assume due diligence from the curator and, as such, will try to find in each piece what is supposed to be interesting (I confess that I often fail). A prank piece will be approached with an open mind, which is more a testament to the curiosity of the visitors than a proof that they are dumb or that modern art is stupid. In the particular example shown in the video, some might even like the piece, because there is something light, fun and incongruous about it (which, depending of the exhibit can be a nice change of pace), they might also like the prank itself as a performance commenting on art.

As a conclusion, an abstract visualization of a piece of 'noise' music, both requiring a high level of craftsmanship. WARNING DO NOT PLAY LOUDLY:Lucio Arese | Yu Miyashita - Mimic - YouTube
first time I've wanted to +net someone without being able to =(

What's the difficulty in creating that Mimic soundtrack and what's the value in it? What does it express besides cramming a bunch of sound effects into a couple minutes?

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I'm partial to Surrealism and Dadaism. I was obsessed with Max Ernst in college.

rrr_img_55466.jpg

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I enjoy Surrealism, I think Dadaism falls into the modern abstract art bullshit rubric

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
serenity of a composition by Mark Rothko
It's not fair to compare mortal artists to the genius that can create these kinds of masterpieces.

No_61_Mark_Rothko.jpg

Or

mark-rothko-untitled.jpg

The sheer overwhelming glory ofRed, Orange, Tan, and Purplebrings a tear to the eye...

Yeah, I don't know why this bullshit infuriates me so. Maybe that's what these "artists" were going for, mission accomplished I guess. People that vehemently defend this shit and perpetuate it by assigning value to it are worse than the fartsniffing wine snobs out there.

Szlia

What's the difficulty in creating that Mimic soundtrack and what's the value in it? What does it express besides cramming a bunch of sound effects into a couple minutes?
You put me on the spot here, but I guess I got what I deserved!

As a foreword, I'll say that I chose this video because I found Arese's really stunning especially when you consider the complexity of the music he turns into visuals, but I am not a huge fan such extremely aggressive 'noise' music, so I'll confess it was mild trolling on my part (Arese has other video of the same type I could have linked with music I enjoy more, there is even one on Gould's rendition of the Aria of Bach's Goldberg variations - Bach did not come out of nowhere in my previous post).

So... what's the value in a noise piece like Mimic. The genre as a whole is part of a galaxy of movements that aims at deconstructing our expectations of what music is. It explores different sounds with different textures, different scales or even abandon tonality, structure, rhythm. A noise piece like Mimic reduces music to some sort of raw energy, it's all speed, all movement, every time the chaos seem to coalesce into some sort of structure, that structure explodes. There is also a whimsical dimension to it as, suddenly, something like a sped up silent movie soundtrack appears (something we associate with slapstick comedy), playfully mocking our expectations. It's not a music to dance to (that would fill hospitals quickly), not music you could use a background, not music that is made to be pleasant really, but an intellectual construction designed to be listened to carefully and with focus, making it difficult to enjoy for too long a stretch (there are some noise musicians that do very intense and very long performances though turning it into a mental and physiological ordeal - in the ritual initiation sense of the word for some and the torture sense for others!). Note these comments are for this particular type of noise music as there also are very soothing pieces of noise music and also a lot of electronic music that uses noise elements to add a particular texture of frailty or chaos.

As for the difficulty in creating it... how many bars are there in these 106 seconds? Even if some raw material is performed and improvised on analog machinery (which might require a low level of skill) organizing that material and cramming it into these 106 seconds, maintaining the intensity, leaving room for the silent suspensions, managing the spatiality of the sound through panning and reverbs, having all these construction-deconstruction loops, finding or creating the mock music and inserting it in the composition... all of that is pretty far from "hey I can do that" territory. I am not a noise music creator though so there is the possibility I am looking at the complexity from the wrong end of the binoculars. What I mean is that a simple process might have resulted inapiece that happened to bethispiece, even if it would have taken very complicated process to get this specific piece and not another piece)...

And to answer Araysar, I don't see how it is relevant, but no I am not a girl (I resisted the trolling urge to answer by a very rerolled 'not yet').

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

As a foreword, I'll say that I chose this video because I found Arese's really stunning especially when you consider the complexity of the music he turns into visuals, but I am not a huge fan such extremely aggressive 'noise' music, so I'll confess it was mild trolling on my part (Arese has other video of the same type I could have linked with music I enjoy more, there is even one on Gould's rendition of the Aria of Bach's Goldberg variations - Bach did not come out of nowhere in my previous post).

So... what's the value in a noise piece like Mimic. The genre as a whole is part of a galaxy of movements that aims at deconstructing our expectations of what music is. It explores different sounds with different textures, different scales or even abandon tonality, structure, rhythm. A noise piece like Mimic reduces music to some sort of raw energy, it's all speed, all movement, every time the chaos seem to coalesce into some sort of structure, that structure explodes. There is also a whimsical dimension to it as, suddenly, something like a sped up silent movie soundtrack appears (something we associate with slapstick comedy), playfully mocking our expectations. It's not a music to dance to (that would fill hospitals quickly), not music you could use a background, not music that is made to be pleasant really, but an intellectual construction designed to be listened to carefully and with focus, making it difficult to enjoy for too long a stretch (there are some noise musicians that do very intense and very long performances though turning it into a mental and physiological ordeal - in the ritual initiation sense of the word for some and the torture sense for others!). Note these comments are for this particular type of noise music as there also are very soothing pieces of noise music and also a lot of electronic music that uses noise elements to add a particular texture of frailty or chaos.

As for the difficulty in creating it... how many bars are there in these 106 seconds? Even if some raw material is performed and improvised on analog machinery (which might require a low level of skill) organizing that material and cramming it into these 106 seconds, maintaining the intensity, leaving room for the silent suspensions, managing the spatiality of the sound through panning and reverbs, having all these construction-deconstruction loops, finding or creating the mock music and inserting it in the composition... all of that is pretty far from "hey I can do that" territory. I am not a noise music creator though so there is the possibility I am looking at the complexity from the wrong end of the binoculars. What I mean is that a simple process might have resulted inapiece that happened to bethispiece, even if it would have taken very complicated process to get this specific piece and not another piece)...
I'm not really equipped to debate what you're describing here but I'll still provide my layman's opinion none the less.

The idea of deconstructing our expectations of a product seems like a convoluted way of saying that he's providing the opposite of what we'd expect or want. Deconstruction pieces always seemed like the artistic equivalents to puns or plays on words, cheap ways to poke fun at the medium. The idea that he's exploring different sounds, textures, scales etc falls flat because it's mostly noisy distortion which is the opposite of what we want to hear when we hear music. It's the sound that is emitted when the sound crew fucks up the stage or a plug is pulled from an amplifier. As for the idea that this music which can not be enjoyed as music but must be listened to carefully and not for long betrays the fact that it's so shitty it can't be enjoyed for any purpose nor can one pretend it's not shit for very long before it must be turned off.

And to the difficulty this seems like the texas sharpshooter's fallacy. If you throw a bunch of distorted sound effects onto a canvas of a one minute track you can easily point to moments of silence, intensity and pretend it's more than what it is.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

And to answer Araysar, I don't see how it is relevant, but no I am not a girl (I resisted the trolling urge to answer by a very rerolled 'not yet').

Sigh. Go back in the pants, boner. False alarm.

Szlia

@Tuco

It's funny because I read the wikipedia entry on Kandinsky yesterday and he had this mystic notion of the avant-garde artist as a prophet. He visualizes it as the artist being able to feel the tip of inverted pyramids that expend in the future. In less poetic terms, the idea is that the avant-garde of today is exploring things that may be incorporated in the mainstream of tomorrow. What we want to hear and what we expect to hear are mostly social constructs, so exploring other territories opens the possibility of finding new things that some might like even if they did not know they would because they did not want nor expected it. I also disagree with the notion that if something is unpleasant or too challenging it is bad. I am not a big music guy, but I have some tracks I listen from time to time that are like an adventure of their own and require a headset and full concentration to enjoy (I am specifically thinking to an ambient track by Fennetz that sounds a bit like you're superman in the middle of a jungle, super-hearing everything). Good in small doses is something that applies to a number of great things. Anyway, I like the idea that not all musics have the same purpose and that not all musics are experienced in the same way.

As a bonus I tried to find that track by Pan Sonic that uses the sounds you get when you touch with your fingers the end of live sound wires, but I failed, so instead you get a good example of insertion of noise elements into a track that both give a kind of melancholic vibe to it (it sounds a bit like an old dusty vinyl record) and an instability (the rhythm section trips and falls down the stairs):Alva Noto Opiate - Opto File 1 - YouTube