Art

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have a link to the artist that was posted on the FoH board about 4 years ago? He had a thread that was started in 2001 or 2002. he could barely paint and shade a cube and within 10 years, he was doing shit with canvas and paper that looked like the statues in the above post. I think his name on the message board was Mind Candy or something like that. I have tried looking for it before and I cannot find it. He lives and has a studio here in Dallas as well.
Found it.

Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

attachment.php

to

attachment.php

Brad2770

Thanks man. That guy is amazing. Oh, and my avatar is part of a pic I drew back in 1998 or 1999. I have posted the original on the FoH boards. My friend did a quick color when I asked him to make me an avatar.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
well I guess DC doesnt owe me any money for my work.
I mean, I am creating digital files. and they are PRINTING them. That is totally transformative. Why are they paying me?

That is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Enlarging something is not an original work.

Thats like taking a Lord of the rings, and changing the font(hell, Ill even say you made a new font for it), and claiming authorship. A new font would in fact, totally change your perception of how you read it.

Christ, copying artwork by hand is the work of every art forgery in existence. That is what you are saying is original works.
I guess its in the same realm as sampling and "paying homage" to in the music world?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where's that guy who used to do the drawings of Furor and other FoH members as their EQ toons? Or are those pictures still around somewhere?

Gauss_sl

shitlord
RE: Modern art, I went to Centre Pompidou, which is supposedly a famous modern art museum, and it was so bad/confusing that I actually saw people staring at and taking pictures of wallpaper because they couldn't figure out where the fuck the art was.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
RE: Modern art, I went to Centre Pompidou, which is supposedly a famous modern art museum, and it was so bad/confusing that I actually saw people staring at and taking pictures of wallpaper because they couldn't figure out where the fuck the art was.
Haha, yep. I went to Centre Pompidou with two girls who love modern art. I spent most of the visit outside eating McDonald's and watching street performers, and I like most art. Give me the Louvre, or Mus?e d'Orsay all day. I just don't get most modern art. I was, however, able to purchase this awesome children's book there, which is based on my favorite painting.

Can't wait to read it to my son.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you talking about the guy who used to draw Millie?
Did he? IDK, I think Millie was one of them actually. It might have been before you got there, it was back in the EQ days before WoW because he was drawing these pictures of like Furor's warrior character from EQ and other FoH members after that. They were using them as Magelo backgrounds. They weren't like amazing works of art, but they were pretty cool for a home grown forum member.

Brad2770

I have no idea about those. They were probably before my time then. I had some of the pics for the game that was being designed for Millie/Dark Millie. may still have. I havent seen them since around 2007 or so.

xrg

Golden Squire
Dubb01, was the guy that did the commissions/Magelo profiles;here is his DeviantArt, but I don't think any of the old FOH stuff is on it. I'm not sure if he ever made the transition to Rerolled or not.

I did the Millie/Dark Millie stuff.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There was the person that did the Britney style signatures. The pregnant smoking chick in green robe, and a few other FOH members had them. Tried looking on way back machine without luck.

xrg

Golden Squire
Aye, I'm Laladilya. Dubb01 did things likethisand commissions for a few other people. I don't remember who did the signatures.

iannis

Musty Nester
Just because it's art doesn't mean it's worth the time it takes to make or consider. There is far more bad art or con art than there is anything of any lasting quality.

A sandcastle can be art. It is an unusual thing in that art is both process and product. Personally I think the guy that mass produces dot paintings is a fraud and a hack -- but there are probably people whose minds are so rigidly compartmentalized that this sort of thing does incorporate a salient aspect of art for them.

It's not esoteric and refined. It's just fake bullshit for fake bullshitters. There has been an unfortunate period of unapologetic and frank gimmickry in the "high art" world. But art does comment upon the era which creates it, and I think it's not entirely the fault of the artists.

It probably will not speak well of us. But then so much of it is so well preserved and so forgettable that it probably won't speak of us very much at all.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The only thing I understand about art is that I like what I like. I can walk past 99 paintings over the course of a year and not notice or care. But then 1 makes me stop and stare, usually I don't really know why I like what I like.

It does usually seem to be textural for some reason. Even if its really nothing, which isn't much far off from Jackson Pollock crap. Stuff like this makes me stop and stare.

Portal,+T+Paden,+close+up,+BR,+med+file.jpg

4530247387.jpg

11-06-textured-painting-clouds-ladnscape.jpg

Romantic-Textured-Paintings.jpg

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Aye, I'm Laladilya. Dubb01 did things likethisand commissions for a few other people. I don't remember who did the signatures.
Yeah, that's who I meant, definitely. Maybe they were WoW one's but I thought he started out with a Furor one during EQ.