Artifact - The DOTA Card Game

Delly

Trakanon Raider
still on the fence about this, can you get buy with just $20? Whats the cost of draft?

Regular draft is one ticket, keeper draft is 2 tickets and 5 packs. If you win 3 games in regular draft you get your ticket back, 4 wins 1 ticket 1 pack, 5 wins 1 ticket 2 packs. Fairly similar rewards scaling for keeper draft except you get your 2 tickets back on 3 wins.

Basically if you're good you can go infinite, which is unlikely unless you practice a ton. Regular casual draft is free so you can essentially play for fun forever.

Edit: For buying the game, you start with 5 event tickets and 10 packs, plus the basic decks.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Games seem to take a fair amount of time but they're also pretty interesting, so balances out I guess. But yeah if you were playing aggro zoo/pirates/whatever in HS and wanted the 5mins win or concede games, there's definitely nothing that fast in this as far as I could tell. Most games play more like control vs control matchups, which some people like and some people don't.

Value wise, it seems it's not too expensive with the prices crashing in a few hours after the release already. People said it went from 500 to 300$ for a full collection, and might go down further as people actually receive their packs(seems a lot of people have bugs where they don't get their packs right away). Ultimately though it seems a lot of pros are shunning constructed because it's "boring" and too easy to optimize and are banking on drafting, so the price of a collection probably doesn't matter all that much if people end up doing drafts constantly. It's a good thing they added free drafts.

Not sure how it could possibly cost $300 for a deck. Spent 75 bucks on packs, looking at the market that just opened (and after selling my dupes) it will cost less than 20 bucks to grab everything I am missing. Most expensive card I need (Drow Ranger) has been jumping between 7-11 bucks and will most likely be going down further. There are really only a handful of cards that cost more than a few cents atm. Of course ymmv on pack luck, just my own experience. The card I mentioned above is the second most OP hero, I was lucky enough to pull an Axe which was going for over 20 bucks...

Edit: Should also mention I won a few packs off event tickets, which I bought 10 of =/

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
still on the fence about this, can you get buy with just $20? Whats the cost of draft?
Depends on what you want to do on the price, can you get by in constructed with just the 20bucks, probably not, however depending on the cards you get, you could sell a few expensive ones and buy a bunch of common/uncommons and make a decent deck, but if you don't get anything to sell/get only stuff you'd want to use, then it's gonna be hard.

For draft, there's a casual draft that's free with no rewards(other than winning obviously), and then you have 2 different types of paid draft which cost 1 ticket and 2 tickets respectively, tickets being 1$. Those have rewards if you win enough, like you'll get the tickets back and then some packs too if you're good enough, and you keep some of the cards you draft, although you also need to supply the packs so mostly it lets you pick specific cards out of packs but you don't gain any other value(and actually lose some from ticket cost) until you win 3games or more, without losing 2.

Not sure how it could possibly cost $300 for a deck. Spent 75 bucks on packs, looking at the market that just opened (and after selling my dupes) it will cost less than 20 bucks to grab everything I am missing. Most expensive card I need (Drow Ranger) has been jumping between 7-11 bucks and will most likely be going down further. There are really only a handful of cards that cost more than a few cents atm. Of course ymmv on pack luck, just my own experience. The card I mentioned above is the second most OP hero, I was lucky enough to pull an Axe which was going for over 20 bucks...

Edit: Should also mention I won a few packs off event tickets, which I bought 10 of =/

Referring to numbers I've seen, and that was assuming you just bought everything, 3 copies of each when it can fit. Mind you, that was also before I went to sleep like 7hours ago, not sure what it's up to now since US prime time hit inbetween. On card price there's also a few rare non hero cards that are worth decent money and for a complete collection, you'd need 3(like Blink Dagger for example).

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Tried the game tonight, just like tutorial and 1 or 2 ai games. It seems pretty interesting. Watching a few streams prior it honestly didn't seem that interesting, but I think it was just the fact that I had no fucking clue what was really happening. The tutorial it explains it well enough to get a grasp on things.

I wish I hadn't open the packs that come with the game, saving those for drafts would have been a better call. Oh well

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can see new players having a hard time understanding all of the rules at once. This game takes a lot of patience to get to a point of playing as an average player, much less a great one. Drafting is a good example of how difficult the learning curve can be. You have to consider many things when making your picks over the few things you consider with the other games. Its a good thing for difficulty but I am concerned that this game will not get a strong player base due to the complexity of its play. Can a game be too complex? I think we are about to find out.

The other thing that hurts this game is the artwork. Players like pretty. Magic Arena killed it with this aspect. I love how in that game you know when a powerful card has come out. In this game, all of the cards feel the same, despite being very different. They concentrated to much on the borders and field without considering how it distracts from the unique aspect of an individual card. Generic should never be a word used for games like this.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Dota 2 is considered harder than its counterparts and yet it still has a huge following and one of the larger player bases on Steam. I just don't see why difficulty would matter. If you want to play you'll learn, just like everyone in Dota learned.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Jumped into this yesterday; i've only played HS abit (wasn't a fan) The might and magic card game (one of the best games ive ever played, fuck them for shutting down) so not alot of experience in this genre.

Must say as a huge moba fan (i play smite fairly competitvely and watch LOL/DOTA2 tourneys whenever on) i love the general concept and layers of complexity. I dropped ~ $100 last night on packs + a few cards that appeared good staples. Played 1 solo game and done 3 casual constructed and went 5-0, 5-0, and 4-1 but its damn addicting and feels so rewarding when you win.

Will be interesting to see when they get progression built in. While i'm a fairly strategical thinker, my lack of experience in these games scare me to go start dropping event tickets but i'll do a few more games and give it a go.

Running a Red/Green combo that normally lets me just pick 2 of the 3 lanes to dominate and forfiet the other one. Last game the guy fully abonded a lane early that i was stacked in and i literally took the 80 health tower down by turn 6, nice to have some many different win conditions. I really want to try a black deck but hate to give up drow as she helps push the early game advantage.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Sorry one dumb question, the casual phantom draft.....can you only do this if you open packs up but there is still no reward for wining it? So 100% just for practice assuming you had unopened packs you want to use? Never done any of these games before so abit foreign...

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Sorry one dumb question, the casual phantom draft.....can you only do this if you open packs up but there is still no reward for wining it? So 100% just for practice assuming you had unopened packs you want to use? Never done any of these games before so abit foreign...

No card packs needed for Casual Phantom Draft, currently just for fun/practice and farming Perfect Runs (for whatever that's worth). Expert Keeper Draft requires you to provide your own packs with the same rewards as Expert Phantom Draft, but with the added bonus of keeping the cards you pick.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Just got home from work so I haven't gotten to watch much, but the production on this tourny stream is pretty solid.

Joel Larsson v. Cifka on now.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
After playing a bunch this game still has a long way to go to make me want to invest more time/money with the lack of incentives and fairly long game times, but I'm sure Valve will just throw a ton of cash to develop it further and to provide huge tournament prize pools so it should get there eventually.

Right now I'd say my order of enjoyment for newer CCGs are -

MTGA
Eternal
-
Artifact
-
-
HS

Haven't played GWENT so no idea how that is.

• 1Like

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Game is fun, but the best word to describe it, exhausting.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The games are fucking LONG. I'm pretty sure I had an hour long game earlier.

Anyone have some good cheaper constructed decks? I might try some to see if I can build resources that way to then use in keeper drafts

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
The games are fucking LONG. I'm pretty sure I had an hour long game earlier.

Anyone have some good cheaper constructed decks? I might try some to see if I can build resources that way to then use in keeper drafts

Blue Black deck only requires Luna really, and it's pretty strong and really hurts beefy red decks.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't recommend Blue/Black. Hero's are way too squishy and not a whole lot of deck synergy in general.

He shows a pretty solid pauper deck at around the 26 minute mark.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am enjoying this game. I am in no hurry however to go beyond the initial $20.00 I spent. With no ranking or reward for play in constructed, I am just having fun learning the game in Ghost Draft. I think that is a great way to get accustomed to the cards and formats of play. Now this does not mean I will not spend anymore money but I think I will wait to see what all they continue to do.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't recommend Blue/Black. Hero's are way too squishy and not a whole lot of deck synergy in general.

He shows a pretty solid pauper deck at around the 26 minute mark.

Squishy heroes aren't really problematic though, this is the entire mindset that leads people to think that Red is OP right now. You can build a ton of money with Bounty Hunter / Payday / Gank, then buy out your Vestures of the Tyrant and it makes hero deaths irrelevant so you can completely cut off enemy colours by saccing your own heroes with Annihilation / At Any Cost.

Blue Black is essentially a highly mobile control deck, where you can just remove big beefy threats and slap towers into the floor.

Edit: Deck I was running, obviously your mileage may vary but I've been having a lot of success with it.

Artifact Deck - Blue / Black Deck

Last edited:
  • 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Squishy heroes aren't really problematic though, this is the entire mindset that leads people to think that Red is OP right now. You can build a ton of money with Bounty Hunter / Payday / Gank, then buy out your Vestures of the Tyrant and it makes hero deaths irrelevant so you can completely cut off enemy colours by saccing your own heroes with Annihilation / At Any Cost.

Blue Black is essentially a highly mobile control deck, where you can just remove big beefy threats and slap towers into the floor.

Edit: Deck I was running, obviously your mileage may vary but I've been having a lot of success with it.

Artifact Deck - Blue / Black Deck

I hear you, he isn't gonna get 3x Annhilation and Vestures cheap though. Sounds like he is looking for a budget deck.

I myself am running a 2 red 3 black, hero killer/gold deck as well. 3 Vestures + 3 Blink by turn 3 = GG. Annhilation/Payday/Mobility is a nice combo, just not sure it outplays Duel/ToT/Spring the trap/Improvement removal(forgetting the name) that red brings. Plus Axe is just so beast. I guess it depends on what you have access too, I just know that I absolutely farm gold from Blue and usually trade at worst with Black.

I'll post my decklist for any curious when I get home later.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I hear you, he isn't gonna get 3x Annhilation and Vestures cheap though. Sounds like he is looking for a budget deck.

I myself am running a 2 red 3 black, hero killer/gold deck as well. 3 Vestures + 3 Blink by turn 3 = GG. Annhilation/Payday/Mobility is a nice combo, just not sure it outplays Duel/ToT/Spring the trap/Improvement removal(forgetting the name) that red brings. Plus Axe is just so beast. I guess it depends on what you have access too, I just know that I absolutely farm gold from Blue and usually trade at worst with Black.

I'll post my decklist for any curious when I get home later.

That sounds like a fun deck, I wouldn't mind trying it out if you post the deck list later.

I've had a really hard time getting a red deck to work and I'd love to play a good one :D