Artifact - The DOTA Card Game

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Artifact :: 11/18 Beta Update

Can do free drafts now with friends, one free draft in casual mode(or maybe just free drafts in casual mode not sure if limited) and can convert shit cards that have no value(like stuff that's in starter decks) back into tickets.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Definitely a good start, not sure it addresses all of the monetization concerns. That is a pretty big step in the right direction, especially the recycling system.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
If it releases with free casual draft it may be the fairest ccg on the market, monetarily speaking. Dusting might raise card prices on the market though so there is that...

Brand

Molten Core Raider
All these people streaming Artifact makes me want to play the game less...I don't want to watch Purge, or some other random play Artifact. I want to play. Watching others play is like torture.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All these people streaming Artifact makes me want to play the game less...I don't want to watch Purge, or some other random play Artifact. I want to play. Watching others play is like torture.

Then don't watch?? I am not bothering with the streams all that much for that very reason. I might watch some the day before release just to get an idea of strategy and play. I rarely enjoy watching a game more than playing it.

• 1Like

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider

This is what occurred to me a couple months back when they started doing reveals - with the extended alpha period Valve has essentially picked the winners in the content space. Similarly for the competitive field I have to imagine players who have had access for a year (or more?) have an immense advantage.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
For anyone that is having trouble following the game, watch Purge or Lifecoach. I prefer Purge because he explains everything. Seeing it from the perspective of someone who knows what they're doing and also wants to be informative is a completely different experience than watching Reynad not only be bad at the game, but also rant and rave about the game.

There are probably other good streamers out there as well, but actually explaining the game while playing is much more important than in Hearthstone due to the complexity of the game.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Swimstrim is also pretty informative, but yeah I can understand getting lost listening to some of these guys.

Beta opened early, opened some packs played through tutorials and jumped into Casual draft and so far I am undefeated (4-0 woo). Watched most of Swims videos and draft tournys and it helped immensely fwiw.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I was hyped for this but I am not at all compelled to buy this game after watching some game play. Also the $1/game is a permanent boner killer for me. Unless this game is a 9/10 or 10/10 it’s gonna be a permanent pass for me.

• 1Solidarity

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why is everyone complaining about $1 / game? There is a casual mode that is permanently free and is the EXACT same game... Game is fun, but isnt really drawing me in. It feels slow and individual games are taking a LONG time. Much different than hearthstone for sure.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Why is everyone complaining about $1 / game? There is a casual mode that is permanently free and is the EXACT same game... Game is fun, but isnt really drawing me in. It feels slow and individual games are taking a LONG time. Much different than hearthstone for sure.
Nobody likes casual mode.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
There is no ladder. It's the exact same mode, only difference is you can't win packs in casual.

Had a blast playing last night and plan to play a fuckton more, but there really needs to be a ladder or mmr ranking system. Maybe when community tournaments start popping up I won't need the carrot on a stick, but until then I do wish there was something to work towards.

Caliane

I ignored this entirely.
saw some people talking about so looked it up. 19$ entry fee. the fuck? strange choice..

also watching day9 play. game looks hella solid though. one look seeing the 3 lanes, and river. laughing. Design is fucking on point, to work that shit into a card game. solid/smooth animations. seemingly strong rules. First glaces I am very impressed.

ill have to read this thread a bit, others, to look into deck size, cost, game modes, etc...

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Am I correct in that you can play the free phantom casual draft mode without having to spend the 20 bucks on the starter crap?

Caliane

You have to pay to buy the game. You have to pay to get cards. You have to pay to play the games best modes. At least the community meltdown on reddit will be free.

Artifact - The Dota Card Game • r/Artifact
yeah, looking into the pricing, etc..

Artifact
The ArtiFAQ [Updated]

It just seems like a poor choice to create that barrier for entry. make that basic shit all free. get people playing, then charge for the events, etc...

but, I have to pay $20 for shitty starter decks. then $1.99/pack for who knows how many packs to build up a decent actual deck.. Then I can start playing... come on..
thats rough. Going to turn away so many people, and hurt the playerbase.

Anyone see if card gen is RNG on pack purchase/creation? or if, certain cards will have limited runs? like will there only ever be 10k "lina inverses" in existance? top end players buying out all version of a card, to prevent it being played vs them..

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
yeah, looking into the pricing, etc..

Artifact
The ArtiFAQ [Updated]

It just seems like a poor choice to create that barrier for entry. make that basic shit all free. get people playing, then charge for the events, etc...

but, I have to pay $20 for shitty starter decks. then $1.99/pack for who knows how many packs to build up a decent actual deck.. Then I can start playing... come on..
thats rough. Going to turn away so many people, and hurt the playerbase.

Anyone see if card gen is RNG on pack purchase/creation? or if, certain cards will have limited runs? like will there only ever be 10k "lina inverses" in existance? top end players buying out all version of a card, to prevent it being played vs them..

What it's got going for it is the ability to buy cards from and sell cards to other players. There's so many people, a whole generation of them probably, that don't really have any experience with a model that doesn't give you stuff just for showing up. Now, it's damned possible that you just have to have that now in your online game now or you'll fail. We'll see. The success of this game is going to hinge heavily on what decks effectively cost to buy on the marketplace and then how fun the game is itself to play (when there is nothing on the line).

I've said this before but I'm honestly just fascinated to watch how this plays out. Someone went out and made a fucking huge bet that the ability to buy and sell singles (basically trading) could work in a modern digital card game and now we get to see if that's true. If Artifact flops and has to staple F2P nonsense on top of their existing structure we'll never see someone take the same chances again.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
As soon as people started talking about draft mode and packs a few months ago my spidey sense started tingling. I'd hoped they'd come up with a novel pricing model but it seems like they managed to combine the worst of gaming monetization with the worst of CCG monetization.

When you consider how far your dollar goes in gaming today (e.g. Hollow Knight or Dead Cells) $20 should just get you the game, maybe charge for expansion packs periodically.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users