Artifact - The DOTA Card Game

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
After playing a bunch this game still has a long way to go to make me want to invest more time/money with the lack of incentives and fairly long game times, but I'm sure Valve will just throw a ton of cash to develop it further and to provide huge tournament prize pools so it should get there eventually.

Right now I'd say my order of enjoyment for newer CCGs are -

MTGA
Eternal
-
Artifact
-
-
HS

Haven't played GWENT so no idea how that is.

Checking out Eternal because you suggested it. Seems neat as well. I think I'm just in a weird "card game mood". Nice to have some options.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Checking out Eternal because you suggested it. Seems neat as well. I think I'm just in a weird "card game mood". Nice to have some options.

They do a lot of things right, generous f2p model, cross platform etc. Also link your twitch account for like 30+ free packs and there is some alienware promo that gives you a campaign mode for free jekks bounty.

If the game had a little more depth I think I would prefer it over MTGA, but otherwise it's just a nice change of pace that requires minimum spend.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
That sounds like a fun deck, I wouldn't mind trying it out if you post the deck list later.

I've had a really hard time getting a red deck to work and I'd love to play a good one :D

Artifact Deck - Hero Killa

Went 10-2 with this the other night. Plenty of room for improvement, contemplating getting rid of Ironfog Goldmine altogether. Need more Spring the Trap otherwise that would be at least a 2x. Wanna toy with Swapping Sniper for either Sorla or maybe even Bristleback and go 3 Red. Also torn on items, Helm of Dom is only really in there because I only have 1 Horn and wanted to see if it was worth playing over another Blink and/or Vesture. Three Feels kind of unnecessary.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
. Also link your twitch account for like 30+ free packs and there is some alienware promo that gives you a campaign mode for free jekks bounty.

Alienware promo is still going on, the Twitch one isn't, and I'm bummed I missed out on that now tbph.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
Played about 20 hours so far, a few games in the Call to Arms event but then almost all draft (casual, which is free and phantom, which is 1 ticket to enter - you get 5 with the game).

The game is phenomenal. There is so much depth and strategic thinking -especially in draft, you play cards not the meta. It feels like the opposite of hearthstone where half the time you’re in an autoloss because your draw was poor or you aren’t gaming the meta. You affect the outcome far more in artifact and a win or loss can be snatched away instantly.

The alternate play of cards before combat has really interesting psychology too - things like pass baiting, the order of cards to trick your opponent into wasting an item or spell etc.

The downside is it is incredibly difficult to learn compared with something like hearthstone. It took me a lot of reading/video watching - the in game tutorial leaves you with knowledge of only the most basic mechanics of play. Most people will not get a feel for the game in an hour and I suspect that means the player base will suffer. For those that stick at it, it is by far the best online card game on the market.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well I've been playing Eternal non stop for like 3 straight days now so fuck.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm sad the game seems to be gaining little traction. Now that I understand it I'd like to be able watch it more, but there is very little on Twitch that is watchable.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
wc4kji0t91321.jpg

Replace MTGA with Artifact and it's relevant to why this game is in decline.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Like many CCG, watching it without working knowledge makes it seem confusing, which doesn't motivate people to want to play it.

I've watched a few artifact streams and I have no fucking clue wtf is happening.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
If it isn't obvious, Savjz clearly posted that in reference to Artifact. Even Stancifka liked the post and both of those dudes love Artifact.

Doubtful Artifact doesn't introduce something sooner than later in terms in progression.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm fucking terrible at this game. Granted I probably have sub 20 games in, but I'm clearly misevaluating cards

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Being a blatant cash grab at every corner guarantees that it will remain small.

Except you can play the arguably best mode (draft) for free forever. There are plenty of other problems with the model, even the initial buy in is a deterrence, but every corner? Wrong.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm fucking terrible at this game. Granted I probably have sub 20 games in, but I'm clearly misevaluating cards

Here is a drafting tier list. Pretty helpful. I would read the FAQ just to see the reasoning behind it. DrawTwo

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Free mode has no rewards though. How many people play this game *just* to play it?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Which is why there are plenty of other problems, progression/MMR being one of those. If they had some of these other things figured out the pricing wouldn't really be a problem.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I don't know if they will but I don't see why they wouldn't do some sort of progression system. Even the well known names are asking that MMR be shown. They could easily do a casual and ranked MMR.

Along with better chat functions, emotes, other rewards (skins, card backs), a complete stat profile of the player, even if it is only visible to the player.

Some of these things should have been done by release. Clearly they worked on a spectate and tournament system, something Blizzard took years to do well (spectate) and something they haven't done at all (tournament). It's just crazy to me that people complain about the money when it's less to own a whole set of Artifact at this point than Hearthstone when there are actual legitimate things to complain about which I've already posted.

Regardless, they have to do something quick or I think we can all agree that they're fucked.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My guess is that the subconscious choice of "I could F2P this if I wanted to, but I choose to pay for packs instead" is superior, even if Artifact ends up being cheaper than Hearthstone in the end.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is kind of fun. If not for the free drafting though, I would not be playing it. It does not grab me like I had hoped it would. Given the complexity, I am not sure that I am the target audience for this game.

The graphics, while smooth, are one of the things I think that hurt this game. People are used to colorful, easy to differentiate kind of graphics. Red is,,,,red. Blue is blue. The colors are so solid that it drowns out the artwork. The background is boring and the little dragon is only cute for a while.

I have wondered if a game could be overly complicated. I think this game is pushing the limit of what most players want from an online card game. The complexity is nice but I have a difficult time playing more than 2 games a session because I have to try and out think my opponent for every play. There are many times when all I want to do is relax and play a game not get played by the game.

Time of play is the other problem. Most people do not want to play 20-30 minute individual games all the time. This means a best out of three could take well over an hour of continuous play. I think this will also hurt the game in the end.

The price model without a purpose of play beyond just playing it was also a mistake. Players like to have goals beyond just beating a person for a game. Ranking, alternate art card rewards and a chance to enter large tournaments are just some examples.

So in short, this game has boring graphics in relation to other TCG/CCG. The game play is a little to intensive in complexity and time. The price model they went with is not the friendliest with the features the game currently has save for the free draft.

I really was hoping this game would be fun but I do not want to spend more money on it until a lot more features are added. This game has a long hard road ahead of it, if it thinks to challenge Hearthstone, Magic Arena or Eternal. If it can exist with a very niche group of players, then the game did what it was going to do.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users