Asheron's Call 2, Brand New Server Dawnsong Turbine bringing back!

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Not sure what they're trying to achieve here, what could this have to offer that players can't get in other games?

Flake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Never played AC or AC2, but was playing EQ1 pretty much since it was released... however

AC2 looks fkn horrendous.... not sure if it's just me.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
That stream looked kind of cool, been looking for a new "old" MMO for awhile and this may scratch that itch.

For 10$ I can def find out.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Yeah AC1 still has a relatively active community, I go back like once a year or so and check it out. It's like my own personal time machine to when I was 13. It was such an amazing game. It's still insanely cool but hardly the same thing with how much xp they throw at you, and the botting/grinding dungeons etc.

I still think of the opening of Verdantine to be recent, but it was before WoW launched. That was the last time I played it for real even though I've resubbed a couple times since.

My PC could never handle AC2, I got like 10 fps in the beta so I never actually played it

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
All I remember is when I played it was there were no npcs to interact with like towns or even rag tag settlements and you converted items to gold in inventory. It looked like they populated a world with monsters and didn't bother to do anything else. Obviously I didn't play long there were far better games out at the time.
This is how I remember it too. The landscape graphics were a lot shinier then Everquest and AC, but I remember that there wasn't a single structure in the game that you could actually enter. Every ruin, windmill, temple whatever was just a few textures. Did not play long, so I may have missed stuff here. But it felt pretty fake.

Would indeed like a return of Auto Assault more then this. Blowing up entire towns and industrial complexes never got old for me, even though there was a lot wrong with that game.

But this is still nice for people who liked AC2, can't really complain about that.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I would still rather see either EQ (by SoE) true Classic and/or DAoC vanilla before this.... just my opinion.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Heh, that engine sucked so hard. Yes it was pretty but if you had a high end system and were playing it next to a person with a lower end system you would see things that they could not. Thus the invisible objects comment above.

A "Why are you running into that tree?"
B "What tree?"
A "Look."
B "WTF..."

Also, the geometry exploits were rampant. Areas would make your FPS take a dive. Who knows, maybe they have spent the last 10 years fixing it?

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
I would still rather see either EQ (by SoE) true Classic and/or DAoC vanilla before this.... just my opinion.
I think all of us would rather see classic UO, AC, EQ and DAoC but EA, Turbine and SOE really don't want to put the effort and $ into making that happen.

As for AC2, the two main reasons why it floundered were:

1) It was a completely different skill system from AC and almost a completely different game. This really put off many current AC1 players.

2) The release was rushed because of Microsoft. This is why the whole back story/Lore is everyone emerging after 10 decades of living underground. No NPC's, all towns have to be rebuilt by the players. Plus there were a ton of bugs.

By the time bugs were fixed, classes fixed and the game became a lot more fun to play, the plug got pulled on it.

Yes AC2 was actually very ahead of it's time, much like I think AC1 was as well. AC2's Skill structure looks to be the template for WoW's initial talent tree as well as the AC2 Quest system.

Blackyce

Also, the geometry exploits were rampant. Areas would make your FPS take a dive. Who knows, maybe they have spent the last 10 years fixing it?
To people who played EQ and never AC1, yes you would say there were geometry exploits but to people who played AC1, these were not exploits. In AC1 it was not considered exploiting to jump up on a building or tower and shoot down at mobs without them being able to hit at you. In fact it was one of the main ways of leveling at places like Fort Teth. A ranged class would get on the wall and fire down at a melee mob and kill it without it being able to hit them.

Anomander Rake

Asheron's Call & EQ were technically my first MMO's, in the way that I played them here and there at my friend's house, and watched them raid etc, but AC2 was myfirstMMO, in the way many of you fondly remember EQ. Looking back, it may have not been the best, but goddamn I am looking forward to putting on my rose colored glasses and jumping back into this shit. Some of the best music in any mmo, and while the landscape is barren, it added to the ambiance imo. That and narrated dungeons + original races makes me tingle in my junk just thinking about it. Carry on with the usual everything sucks about >insert name of mmo / game here< !

Oh, and my theory on why this shit came out of the blue:

1) There is a server emu that has been in the works for a long time on this, and they might just be dicks and release this to be a PITA, or more likely
2) Turbine has been working on a "new" MMO if the rumors are to be believed, and this would make sense if they are doing this to generate interest in a new foray into the world of AC.

Blackyce

2) Turbine has been working on a "new" MMO if the rumors are to be believed, and this would make sense if they are doing this to generate interest in a new foray into the world of AC.
I would absolutely die for an AC3. Of all the major game companies that make MMO's LotRO was Turbines last forary into it and that was 2007. They have released expansions and updates to their games but not a new MMO. Would be so great if the rumors were true.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Fucking loved ac2, so very many issues some, the mass xp roll backs and mass exploits killed it but next to Vanguard had some of my favorite classes.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
To people who played EQ and never AC1, yes you would say there were geometry exploits but to people who played AC1, these were not exploits. In AC1 it was not considered exploiting to jump up on a building or tower and shoot down at mobs without them being able to hit at you. In fact it was one of the main ways of leveling at places like Fort Teth. A ranged class would get on the wall and fire down at a melee mob and kill it without it being able to hit them.
I do not have a problem with people jumping up on a wall and killing from range, but people would run around until a mob got stuck on an invisible flaw in the ground that would essentially trap a mob in place. Then proceed to kill it. Dealt a blow to the immersion factor IMO, and was kind of cheesy. I worked on AC1 and a little bit on AC2 as a tester. I enjoyed both, tho preferred EQ. Kind of curious to see what they have done with AC2.

Blackyce

I worked on AC1 and a little bit on AC2 as a tester. I enjoyed both, tho preferred EQ. Kind of curious to see what they have done with AC2.
From what I've read the server they opened up is set to their last build before the game was canceled so I would say nothing since 2005.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't put on a resume that you worked on AC2 as a tester. Your group did a shitty job.

Anomander Rake

Right. Because bugs in a game 100% lie at the feet of the testers.
rolleyes.png

rolleyes.png

rolleyes.png