Asheron's Call 2, Brand New Server Dawnsong Turbine bringing back!

Nija

<Silver Donator>
No, but I worked at a company where a third of the company was testing.

The entire gameplay experience beyond level 35 was one huge bug. If anyone actually played it, it wouldn't have launched that way.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Fair enough, but you are assuming we had any say in the matter if it got released or not.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
Asheron's Call & EQ were technically my first MMO's, in the way that I played them here and there at my friend's house, and watched them raid etc, but AC2 was myfirstMMO, in the way many of you fondly remember EQ. Looking back, it may have not been the best, but goddamn I am looking forward to putting on my rose colored glasses and jumping back into this shit. Some of the best music in any mmo, and while the landscape is barren, it added to the ambiance imo. That and narrated dungeons + original races makes me tingle in my junk just thinking about it. Carry on with the usual everything sucks about >insert name of mmo / game here< !

Oh, and my theory on why this shit came out of the blue:

1) There is a server emu that has been in the works for a long time on this, and they might just be dicks and release this to be a PITA, or more likely
2) Turbine has been working on a "new" MMO if the rumors are to be believed, and this would make sense if they are doing this to generate interest in a new foray into the world of AC.
The 3rd and most likely reason for why it came back now is that MS's license on ac2 finally died off which allows turbine to mess around with the game again.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
I beleive MS had a 10 year license on ac2 (going back to its first funded day of early dev) and that 10 years finally expired now.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
I beleive MS had a 10 year license on ac2 (going back to its first funded day of early dev) and that 10 years finally expired now.
So per the Massively post above, this had nothing to do with MS, just Turbine bringing it back from the dead.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
I remember playing this when it first dropped. I was getting a little burnt out on EQ and raiding 7 days a week. I remember the graphics were pretty hot, and the gameplay was fun; and that the rest of the game was complete shit, from top to bottom.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll admit, I played this game way too long. I was there at launch, and played until there were 15-20 people per server (they actually posted server count in realtime). I liked some of the classes like Ranger and Tactician, but man, the dungeons were ass. And there were no towns.

This game was launched one year too early.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ac1 was the best game I ever played.

Incredible pvp, incredible loot system, incredible guild system (even has patron and vassal system). THe game was amazing while it was in its prime. Never touched AC2. I still have AC1 installed...but I dunno. Prolly rather fuck with Darkfall.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Ac1 was the best game I ever played.

Incredible pvp, incredible loot system, incredible guild system (even has patron and vassal system). THe game was amazing while it was in its prime. Never touched AC2. I still have AC1 installed...but I dunno. Prolly rather fuck with Darkfall.
Yeah AC1 was basically the best mmo

Gecko_sl

shitlord
In interesting Asheron's Call news:

News about the next update

Once this next update is in the hands of the players, the updates to Asheron's Call will be limited. We intend to fix critical bugs and continue maintenance and support on the game. While there is always a chance we will put out a small update if time permits, players should have the expectation that updates will be limited to maintenance, bug fixes, and perhaps balance iterations of February content such as the new Coliseum.

Let me reiterate that we have no plans to close Asheron's Call. We plan to keep the game open and the servers running.

Although this change of focus is necessary for our company, we love the Asheron's Call games and we want them to live forever. We understand that players who have been enjoying our monthly updates will be disappointed at the change to Asheron's Call.Our long term plan is to make the game free to all active accounts. We are working on a date in the not-to-distant future where all active accounts will be able to play the game for free. Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 will be a gift to our loyal players.

In addition,we have been working within the company to start an initiative sometime near the end of the year to allow players to run their own Asheron's Call servers.We intend to put the call out to tech savvy enthusiasts that love Asheron's Call to create a community for players who want to run their own Asheron's Call servers.

Unfortunately, setting up and running an AC server is not a user friendly experience. Enthusiasts would need some knowledge of running an SQL server, setting up the network, using our tools to configure the SQL server, installing the Asheron's Call server with our complicated tools, and distributing the client. Our intent is to help these players build a community so these processes can be created and distributed to people interested in running an Asheron's Call game. If that works out we can look into releasing tools and data files that would allow players to modify game data and create alternate content for their own Asheron's Call games.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Went back a while ago, and was rocking 3 different accounts. But I was macro'ing them pretty heavy on some island, building up experience, and had them all sworn in a chain to push experience. I still believe Asheron's Call had the best implementation on an Archer "class" than any other game ever.

The monarch I was in was still leading quests multiple times a week, and was really helpful. Sometimes these older games have the best communities and players. Even still talk to one of the players via text though I stopped playing a while ago.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
AC was my first MMO, after playing DikuMuds for a few years. I was terrible at it and never got very far, but the sound of drudges haunts me to this day. I loved AC. I even resubbed once a few months ago, but couldn't justify the expense. Also played AC2 from start to finish. Would love to be able to play around in that world again.