Ashes of Creation

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Looks like EQII upgraded.

The visual style, particle effects, player animations all seem to have basis there. The combat also feels super similar - especially in terms of pacing and spamming abilities.

Not terrible - EQII was fun. I wonder if it'll last beyond the first month of release, though.
As long as 60%+ of the screen real estate isn't devoted to hotbar space, I don't mind if a cue or two is taken from EQ2

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Graphics are okay tending to nice, but everything else seems like ESO combat system with clunky gameplay and weird animations.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Agree, I think this one is actually shaping up to be the most promising MMO. The only I want to know is their end-game.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Man you have to know hwne something is suppose to throttles ass crack. It's at that stage
cat-drunk-and-trying-read-taco-bell-menu-passenger-seat

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Endymion

Trakanon Raider
Looks like EQII upgraded.

The visual style, particle effects, player animations all seem to have basis there. The combat also feels super similar - especially in terms of pacing and spamming abilities.

Not terrible - EQII was fun. I wonder if it'll last beyond the first month of release, though.

Having flying dragon mounts in alpha isn't a good sign for the sort of visual inflation we see in most MMOs today. Everyone having angel wings and flaming auras that they bought in the cosmetics shop looks super cheesy.
Quite a few EQ2 developers on it so it's cool to see what they're doing when they're not bogged down with a 15+ year old engine and higher ups who won't let the game change too much.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Another thing I really like about this game is they have real 40 man raids. I've been waiting for another raiding MMO for a looooong time now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I backed this years ago. Will keep sitting on it until its finally released!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

I cant quite figure out if the game has an in depth story to it at all, though. I know there is lore to be found, that's evident. You have quests that give you an idea of what is happening around the world that I've seen.. but I cant seem to find where there is a main story to follow. Ok, so cool. We go to an area of influence for a node, do shit that we'll do anyways, and that'll upgrade that node to the next tier. Rinse, repeat. I see raids will be a thing, and such as well. But is there a guiding quest line? Something that will take us from here to there without making it entirely a theme park, and still keep the sand box aspect of it all? Genuinely curious.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would think there is a story behind the action. All MMO's have a story of some sort, associated with the game.

My guess is

1. It is Alpha and they still care about the play aspect over the story line at the moment. The play is what keeps the players, not how in depth the story is.

2. The story might still be in a flux state as far as the small details go, due to making sure that the play revolves around it.

3. They do not want to tell you the story yet. You get to see the story when you play the game.

While I enjoy a good story, it is honestly the least of my concerns. I am much more concerned for the ruleset and the combat of the game.

Leibowitz

Trakanon Raider
fyi Ashes came originally from a d and d campaign .I suspect that the story line will reflect this ,I however do not know this for a fact.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Weird to me how this game went from meh to the best thing on the horizon.

• 3Like

Daidraco

Kind of wish they would stop putting so much effort into the Node/Garrison system and put more effort in other parts of the game. That stuff is cool, but ffs, how often are people going to be in town? Unless of course, we have a group finder and we never even have to move our character while not in a dungeon/raid. I'm going to try his game, cause I'm hoping it will be good.. (I couldnt force myself to download apocalypse - hate rpg pvp)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Kind of wish they would stop putting so much effort into the Node/Garrison system and put more effort in other parts of the game. That stuff is cool, but ffs, how often are people going to be in town? Unless of course, we have a group finder and we never even have to move our character while not in a dungeon/raid. I'm going to try his game, cause I'm hoping it will be good.. (I couldnt force myself to download apocalypse - hate rpg pvp)

i think wow classic proved no dungeon finder eventually blows ass. the better question is does ashes even have the dungeons to feature them with a finder?

Vanguard I felt like it was difficult to get tired of the world. So no dungeon finder was necessary.

Movement hacks were big in Vanguard though, so everyone is a little bias when it comes to Vanguard travel. But I never felt like I was missing a dungeon finder in Vanguard.