Ashes of Creation

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
BDO is doing very well, and has only been getting more popular the last 2 years as p2w has become less of a thing. Archeage when it came out was very popular, until the devs ruined the game and added more and more p2w. EVE has always been popular. An mmo doesn't need WoW or FF14 numbers to be successful, and there's plenty of players for AoC to grab if they deliver a good game. Steven has repeatedly said the game isn't for everyone, they're not designing it for everyone, and they're ok with that.
Archeage was popular because the world and pve was very good. It had already started to massively lose people before any of the p2 w came.

eve is the only long term successful pvp mmo and it did that by allowing most of its player base to play in pve areas and progress up slowly and only rarely really risk themselves in pvp. It was also one of the hardest games on pvpers because catching and killing people wasn’t nearly as easy as it was in fantasy pvp games.

I hope steven is smart and knows he can’t just let the wolves eat all the sheep but it’s doubtful he is because no pvp guild master I ever met actually understood any of that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hope steven is smart and knows he can’t just let the wolves eat all the sheep but it’s doubtful he is because no pvp guild master I ever met actually understood any of that.

Yeah I have my doubts. As he is/was basically one of the wolves by using his wallet. I doubt he learned anything, but to make a game even better for said wallet wolves.

Hopefully not, but we'll see.

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
Steven is doing something no developer has successfully before which is merging east and gaming cultures now. He is making an eastern style ge with no Chinese people. Staff members. Ashes will collapse when other gamrd come. Steven everything to stay on 6je map or he created drad zones

Last edited:

Cybsled

Lost Ark was originally more western style in terms of gameplay, then the KR audience cried for the p2w mechanics they’re used to…so they were added

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Lost Ark was originally more western style in terms of gameplay, then the KR audience cried for the p2w mechanics they’re used to…so they were added
P2W is fine, except in pvp games. Convenience vs extortion.

• 1Like

Cybsled

P2W is fine, except in pvp games. Convenience vs extortion.

I disagree on the PVE part. P2W in PVE tends to design the core game elements to be frustrating and tedious unless you swipe.

Let's take Archeage and the labor system. Labor would slowly regenerate over time and you needed it to do certain things in the game. If there was no p2w, then one could argue that the slow rate of labor generation was just a means to throttle how much money players could make in a given day. With limited labor, you can only fish so many fish or gather so many cheeses or make so many trade packs or cut so many trees.

Except you could buy labor potions that instantly gave you a big chunk of labor. So instead of waiting 12 hours to get your labor back, you could just pay $1-2 for a potion that gave you the labor back right away. Couple that with the very large labor costs to do things and it was very clear that they wanted players to buy the potions. Sure, you could eventually do those things without labor potions, but you were at a significant disadvantage. A whale could literally regenerate a month's worth of labor in minutes if needed, allowing them to make more money, which skewed the game economy in their favor and eventually caused inflation, which fucked over anyone not swiping because there was no way to make as much money with limited labor regen.

Archeage also had the dumb system of "if you upgrade this item, it might explode. Unless you buy this gem/charm off the cash shop, which barely gives you a success bonus but reduces your weapon exploding to a single digit percentage!". Could you gear up with the cash shop items? In theory I guess, but in reality, the probabilities in the game were skewed as such that you'd essentially be deleting your gear if you attempted to upgrade it without cash shop items.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup. BDO technically has open world PvP but they've added every possible disincentive to it for years now.
Because griefer games don't sell.

I do a lot of afk horse training in BDO. Training in town is safe but too slow, so I train in combat areas. About once a year someone will kill me out in in the open while I'm afk. I shrug when I get back, respawn and move on with nothing lost. Chuckling at the karma that person will have to deal with. Don't see how that was enjoyable for the person, killing an afk toon, in horse cloths and zero DP, while the griefer racks up massive Karma debt. But griefers are generally retarded.

The open world PvP in this game was only fun when people were leveling up at launch. Now with all the gear disparities it's a pathetic joke. Node wars could be fun, but I don't have the time or will to gear up for that.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Because griefer games don't sell.

I do a lot of afk horse training in BDO. Training in town is safe but too slow, so I train in combat areas. About once a year someone will kill me out in in the open while I'm afk. I shrug when I get back, respawn and move on with nothing lost. Chuckling at the karma that person will have to deal with. Don't see how that was enjoyable for the person, killing an afk toon, in horse cloths and zero DP, while the griefer racks up massive Karma debt. But griefers are generally retarded.

The open world PvP in this game was only fun when people were leveling up at launch. Now with all the gear disparities it's a pathetic joke. Node wars could be fun, but I don't have the time or will to gear up for that.
Bruh, do you even Elvia realm when horse training?!

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bruh, do you even Elvia realm when horse training?!

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News
Lol, of course not. But everywhere outside of towns is a combat area. With much less people and npcs to slow down a horse.

And horse training is easy to setup and go afk. Work keeps me very, very busy. Has for years. One of the main reasons I play BDO is my computer can do most of the work while i'm away. I grind mobs, etc. when I can. But that isn't often.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Lol, of course not. But everywhere outside of towns is a combat area. With much less people and npcs to slow down a horse.

And horse training is easy to setup and go afk. Work keeps me very, very busy. Has for years. One of the main reasons I play BDO is my computer can do most of the work while i'm away.
No, I'm saying you can afk horse train in "combat areas" in Elvia realm. 99.99% of players are in Elvia realm just to farm the grind spots, not catch some random afker. I do all my horse training in Elvia realm way down south, in Dreighan region. Elvia realm also has the side benefit of removing NPCs, so you can even do it in Duvencrune if you want.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"I leave my character online and retards kill me"

Lol
Not complaining, It does't bother me, part of the game. And I lose nothing. I didn't care when the game was griiefer heaven. PA gives out tears like candy.

But with all of the penalties that griefers get in BDO these days, I just think it's funny that they lose so much for the activity and I don't. Yeah, they are retarded.

Anyways, didn't mean to derail.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Not complaining, It does't bother me, part of the game. And I lose nothing. I didn't care when the game was griiefer heaven. PA gives out tears like candy.

But with all of the penalties that griefers get in this game these days, I just think it's funny that they lose so much for the activity and I don't. Yeah, they are retarded.

Yeah they just dont do pvp right.

And when it IS meaningful or they DO do it right, then people just cry too hard about losing or who knows what else.

I've come a long way in my appreciation of people's saying "pvp games dont work" - but you should also know they are far and beyond my best experiences in gaming with no close comparison. Its a people problem really, not really a game design or technical problem of any kind.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
It is a people problem, but good game design can fix a lot of it. And a decent social design can help players solve much of the rest.