Ashes of Creation

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I have no doubt that pirate gangs will exist. The other thing that I liked seeing was the cyclops. World boss that actually roams around a zone like a Sand Giant or Reaver. I always loved the portion of adventuring that involved knowing what was roaming around you.
That was one of the best part of EQ, the roaming high level mobs in zones. One of the best memories from early in EQ was when we started in Qeynos and were making the trek across Antonica through Highpass and one of my buddies got out in front of the group and found one of the wandering Cyclopes; "What's a Choon?" <splat>

The PVP part of Ashes is my biggest worry; I tend to play/explore solo a lot and the whole gank experience in early UO ruined me on PVP forever. I do not want to fuck with people whose enjoyment of the game is killing other people, mostly other people who are unable to effectively fight back in super lopsided fights Hopefully the seas aren't required gankfests or 0.0 "content". I played a fair amount of siege/pvp in ESO and elective PVP is fine.

Cybsled

The PVP part of Ashes is my biggest worry; I tend to play/explore solo a lot and the whole gank experience in early UO ruined me on PVP forever. I do not want to fuck with people whose enjoyment of the game is killing other people, mostly other people who are unable to effectively fight back in super lopsided fights Hopefully the seas aren't required gankfests or 0.0 "content". I played a fair amount of siege/pvp in ESO and elective PVP is fine.

Hopefully they change their plans for how PvP works, but I have yet to see a criminal/karma system in any PvP game where gankers don't figure out loopholes within the first few days of the game to circumvent it. Archeage had one, but they also had cash shop potions you could chug to remove bad karma/criminal points, so gankers could swipe to avoid punishment.

Based on his interviews, he has the flawed idea of "pvers paying pvpers to protect them". It's one of those ideas that sounds cool on paper, but very rarely works in a game. The protection gets bored playing babysitter, or they're busy doing something else, or well geared gankers just roll the "protection" anyways, or they blockade known chokepoints to bottom feed off defenseless players.

Open world PVP needs rewards. If the reward in PVP is just shit you steal from other players, then the people who keep dying aren't incentivized to keep being sheep and stop playing the game, at which point the gankers get bored and become even more trollish/exploitative to try to get their dopamine hit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Hopefully they change their plans for how PvP works, but I have yet to see a criminal/karma system in any PvP game where gankers don't figure out loopholes within the first few days of the game to circumvent it. Archeage had one, but they also had cash shop potions you could chug to remove bad karma/criminal points, so gankers could swipe to avoid punishment.

Based on his interviews, he has the flawed idea of "pvers paying pvpers to protect them". It's one of those ideas that sounds cool on paper, but very rarely works in a game. The protection gets bored playing babysitter, or they're busy doing something else, or well geared gankers just roll the "protection" anyways, or they blockade known chokepoints to bottom feed off defenseless players.

Open world PVP needs rewards. If the reward in PVP is just shit you steal from other players, then the people who keep dying aren't incentivized to keep being sheep and stop playing the game, at which point the gankers get bored and become even more trollish/exploitative to try to get their dopamine hit.
Supposedly in this game they incentivize you to fight back but what does that even mean when the gank squads are rolling vs unprepped PVE players i.e. bluebees? Many of the gankers don't enjoy fair/good fights but merciless one-sided slaughter; not all of couse, and sure there are PVPers who want good fights. But like every ecosystem, the gankers follow the easy kills and find loopholes etc as you mention, which drives off the masses of PVE players who don't want to hassle with the gankers etc and will find another game to play if they can't be avoided. Its why most PVP has been limited because the anti-social gankers can langoleer an environment of players faster than anything but XP or economy bugs.

It works for games like Eve because the whole game is built on that premise. It can severely limit the appeal of a game; despite all the lipservice to the contrary.

I think their overall approach to openworld needs some testing or it may drag the overall game down.

• 2Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The hype behind AoC was a lot higher than it has been in the last 6 months to a year ago. The masses realized its going to be some brutal pvp shit like Aion / Acheage and lost a lot of interest, if not all interest. Thats why Riot's MMO, sight unseen, has more hype than AoC. I think a lot of people are going to try it, no doubt. But its hard for me to believe this'll be more than just a niche MMO unless he makes some major moves towards PVE. Im not saying he needs to cater to the masses, or homogenize everything - but PVP is its own beast and for the most part, it just brings out the toxic nature of people. Game will still be profitable over several years, and I dont think Shariff has anything to worry about on that front.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

not all of couse, and sure there are PVPers who want good fights.

Even PVPers who want "Good fights" usually define that as "I win more than half of the time". You can see this in New World: Some company controls a server until some mega guild comes to the server and starts grabbing territories from the prior top company. The former top company tries to retake their land and keeps failing. They get discouraged and either quit, join the mega guild, or server hop to find "more fair" servers.

A lot of developers always forget that in these types of "control the land" type of games, there isn't exactly MMR/ELO. You essentially have players get shit stomped by the best of the best. It would be like if you joined a game of Counter Strike and the other team had guys like Shroud and other CS Pros and they kept showing up in every match you had. At some point you get discouraged and stop even bothering anymore. No one likes to constantly lose and feel like they can never match the level of the opponent.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
The hype behind AoC was a lot higher than it has been in the last 6 months to a year ago. The masses realized its going to be some brutal pvp shit like Aion / Acheage and lost a lot of interest, if not all interest. Thats why Riot's MMO, sight unseen, has more hype than AoC. I think a lot of people are going to try it, no doubt. But its hard for me to believe this'll be more than just a niche MMO unless he makes some major moves towards PVE. Im not saying he needs to cater to the masses, or homogenize everything - but PVP is its own beast and for the most part, it just brings out the toxic nature of people. Game will still be profitable over several years, and I dont think Shariff has anything to worry about on that front.
I am in love with the potential of it all, the world, the changing seasons, and potential of the nodes, different levels of challenge/spawns, and the class system/mix. Realistically they have many a slip betwixt the cup and the lips to prove they can come up with systems to maximize any/all of these and keep them balanced with a relatively small company. The idea that some servers will have great cities and others will have shitty services seems...weird. The meta for that is going to be AMAZING or terrible. Are people going to say, "Let's build that here!" or are they going to say " Let's all move to ZZZZ server with the awesome X! city in Y node". If you have great guilds, will your server be great and without mega guild will your server be shit? Will there be any AI organization to step in place?

EDIT: In 20+ years of MMOs, I have never seen a game with PVP at it center A) get big B) last. Eve is the only one that kinda defied that with an economy built around death/easy item replacement along with mining as the main wealth generator, no special items, and content build around guild/corp drama sandbox territory control. The scifi setting also contributed to its success. No fantasy MMO could have utilized similar mechanics. Will caravans provide the same opportunities? My magic 8 ball seems doubtful.

I like the Riot MMO; that looks like another Theme park MMO, which great and I am happy to play that one as well but as a whole, the continent seems...sparsely urbanized, which I am sure will be rectified in the actual game. Everything Riot touches turns to gold seemingly so I am sure it will be amazing.

They are both probably years away so no reason to get overly hyped about either; AOC is probably a Q1 2024 and Riots MMO is probably a year later than that. Sadly, part of the reason I am engaged with the copium/hopium cycle is that I am looking for something to play NOW. I am already bored with Tower of Fantasy: Who knows if I (or anyone else for that matter) will live to see Q1 2025, sorry to be a downer able it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The good news I think is that Alpha 2 will last a long time. Hopefully this will flesh out a lot of the potential PvP problems and exploits. It might even lead to a change that that evens out the PvE/PvP content in such a way as to please more of the players that do not cater as much to PvP, but certainly spend the money. Yes this is Steven's game, but money goes a long way to changing ideas that sounded great on paper.

Whatever happens, it is almost guaranteed to be entertaining even if you just watch it unfold on the side lines.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
The good news I think is that Alpha 2 will last a long time. Hopefully this will flesh out a lot of the potential PvP problems and exploits. It might even lead to a change that that evens out the PvE/PvP content in such a way as to please more of the players that do not cater as much to PvP, but certainly spend the money. Yes this is Steven's game, but money goes a long way to changing ideas that sounded great on paper.

Whatever happens, it is almost guaranteed to be entertaining even if you just watch it unfold on the side lines.
Reportedly the Alpha 2 server will become the PTR server for release, IIRC.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Open seas are auto pvp will be neat.
Im sure some stuff is being modeled off of Eve. So Im curious how not only at sea, but also on land, how the equivalent of gate camps are going to be handled. Shariff talks a lot about bottleneck points, and if there are people rooting/slowing w/e the people that roll through it - what are the counters to that gameplay? What allows you to escape from that situation? Is it going to be just stacking resists? Im not trying to make it a 1 to 1 comparison, but.. the situation presents itself in the same fashion.

• 1Like

Cybsled

He is probably copying Archeage for a lot of it I assume. In that game, you had zones where PVP was enabled and the transition points between zones were most commonly very narrow and/or mountainous. So if he is talking about bottleneck points, I presume they will be similar.

Which honestly makes for shit open world PVP if the intent is to move goods/resources, because people will just camp the chokepoints and it will all be ambush gameplay.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
If anyone was also wondering I asked if Alpha 1 happened on the world map presented and the answer was no, A1 didn't really exist anywhere. From a technical stand point I am really fucking excited to play A2.

• 1Like

Daidraco

If anyone was also wondering I asked if Alpha 1 happened on the world map presented and the answer was no, A1 didn't really exist anywhere. From a technical stand point I am really fucking excited to play A2.
Jealous - but Im sure af not paying that price tag for a video game.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am looking forward to A2 as well. Really hoping to see some beautiful zones with all of the base classes to try. Intrepid wanted 70% of the game in with Alpha 2 but something tells me it will be more like 50-60%.

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
50-60% is still pretty damn good. How long is alpha 2 expected to last and what is after alpha 2? Alpha 3 or Beta?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alpha 2 ...at the rate they have been going, might be 1 full year. Beta comes after alpha 2. Yes Alpha 2 is expensive, but if it honestly does last 6-12 months, I think it is worth it.