Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
I'm 3 or 4 hours in and I'm enjoying it so far. The ship battles start to get repetitive after a while (boarding) and the towns feel a bit samey but I guess that is to be expected from the setting. It's a little disappointing that you can't upgrade to larger ships like a Man'O'War or Ship of the Line but the progression system is pretty cool so far. I probably won't 100% this one but I don't regret the purchase.

'Captain Kidd' is totally a chick right? I keep waiting for the reveal.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
beat the game on a cram session, ALOT better than ass3 omg that stupid american indian had no character... this pirate, eh, he's no Eizo or even an altair but he's better than the indian.

and it's like 95% animus, like 5% of the game is outside abstergo stuff, so great! desmond made me really hate that portion.

i really wish they'd stop putting projectiles in this game, i mean even a group of 10 don't scare me with quad guns. hell you can even run and reload at the same time.

i saved up for the 14k swords then did the mayan 16 collectable quest = done (you could also get better guns but eh the el cheapo 800 was doing me fine)

then just upgrade the ship like mad!

Seventh

Golden Squire
Definitely glad to hear the positive reviews on this, since AC3 blew balls and was a huge disappointment after all of the awesome Ezio games.

Edit: Did they bring capes back, btw? I'm a collectibles whore for this series, and having every guard constantly attack me while chasing pages rustled the shit out of my jimmies.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
beat the game on a cram session, ALOT better than ass3 omg that stupid american indian had no character... this pirate, eh, he's no Eizo or even an altair but he's better than the indian.

and it's like 95% animus, like 5% of the game is outside abstergo stuff, so great! desmond made me really hate that portion.

i really wish they'd stop putting projectiles in this game, i mean even a group of 10 don't scare me with quad guns. hell you can even run and reload at the same time.

i saved up for the 14k swords then did the mayan 16 collectable quest = done (you could also get better guns but eh the el cheapo 800 was doing me fine)

then just upgrade the ship like mad!
How long did it take you to beat it?

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
It's like this was what Assassin's Creed III was supposed to be, where all the scenario designers and writers were working on this instead. I'm only into Sequence V, but THIS is what a flagship title in the series feels like; III felt more like a glorified tech demo for the AnvilNext engine.

For some reason I really like the 2013 segments, though I've only done two and the minigames involved.

I do wish they would fix their obvious logic errors on sidequests though:
For example: the ability to do Assassin Contracts make no sense until you finish Sequence IV. How would Kenway even know where the fuck to go to even start them, EH? Same for recruiting pirate crew before you even get the ship.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Note on online pass complaints - they're making the online pass free even for used buyers now, just gotta DL it. And nothing like that for future UBI titles they promise now.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
/\ Still have single player cock blockage though. Correct?

With that said I ended up getting this as a gift two days ago. Even though I wanted to return it because I hate Ubisoft.

I played it and it's a really fun game. I think I am about 3-4 hours in and at this point I think I am going to go treasure hunting.

How do I dig up treasure? I have a map for my first one, but the coordinates are underwater and I have no way of diving down.... It said something about treasure tools... I couldn't find anything online regarding this though.

Sean_sl

shitlord
/\ Still have single player cock blockage though. Correct?
It would only be a single player cock block if youdon'tdownload the Free online pass and have no internet connection. You still need it for a couple features, but they're giving them away to everyone.

Also they're discontinuing it completely in future games:Assassin??Ts Creed IV Black Flag and Uplay Passport - UbiBlog | Ubisoft®

Curb your hate, bro. Ubisoft is easily the best of the big publishers and puts out amazing games.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It would only be a single player cock block if youdon'tdownload the Free online pass and have no internet connection. You still need it for a couple features, but they're giving them away to everyone.

Also they're discontinuing it completely in future games:Assassin??Ts Creed IV Black Flag and Uplay Passport - UbiBlog | Ubisoft®

Curb your hate, bro. Ubisoft is easily the best of the big publishers and puts out amazing games.
What on Earth are you talking about? Ubisoft had/has the most anti-consumer policies on the market today, and the very fact that this was even IN the game speaks to the volumes of their hap-hazard consumer policies. That obviously includes PC gaming which has been horrendous foryears

And the only reason why they did this in the first place was because they will make more on their cash shop market attached to this than they would have people buying $10 Uplay passes for used games.

We'll see what happens with their other games. Their word means jack shit Sean. Some examples:

In August 2011, Ubisoft released From Dust with DRM protection, contrary to previous statements that the game would not have any DRM related restrictions. Though a promise was made to remove it, after several months the DRM had still not been removed from many if not all copies of the game.[44]
n the February 2008 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, Editor-in-Chief Dan "Shoe" Hsu asserted that Ubisoft had ceased to provide all Ubisoft titles to the EGM for any coverage purposes as a result of prior critical previews and negative reviews.
In April 2012, Ubisoft was sued by the author of the book Link, John L. Beiswenger, who alleged a copyright infringement for using his ideas in the Assassin's Creed franchise and demanding $5.25 million in damages and wanted to stop the release of Assassin's Creed III that was set to be released in October 2012 along with any future games that allegedly contain his ideas.[53] On 30 May 2012, Beiswenger dropped the lawsuit. Beiswenger was later quoted as saying he believes "authors should vigorously defend their rights in their creative works," and suggested that Ubisoft's motion to block future lawsuits from Beiswenger hints at their guilt
For the record, I like some of their games. Too bad I have upright stopped purchasing them because of the shit they allow from a consumer stand point. I also like this game. Too bad Yves Guillemot is a tremendous douchebag.

Ubisoft is one of the most, if not even worse than EA, unethical organizations in the industry.

Anyway, rant off. How do I find my treasures? I have the coordinates, go there... and I cannot figure it out. This one happens to be under water supposedly although the map shows it as on an island.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, well, I pretty easily forgive them for any PC DRM shenanigans when they put out amazing games like FC3 and Blood Dragon. Helps that I never buy their PC versions and only do console for Ubisoft and their console versions are no different than anyone else's.

Vaclav

Help me with my question damn it.
Don't think any are underwater - not seen any that were yet... And you'll get a dig option when you get close to the X on the map. (O on PS3)

The range on it is low and will not show if free running from what I can tell though.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Don't think any are underwater - not seen any that were yet... And you'll get a dig option when you get close to the X on the map. (O on PS3)

The range on it is low and will not show if free running from what I can tell though.
Ok cool thanks. The one location I went to sent me straight into the middle of the ocean haha

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah the coords are just for islands near them, once at said island you have to just use the clues located on the map to find and hit B on xbox or O on ps3 to dig them up. The underwater stuff isn't available till about 50% through the game when you are able to buy a diving bell.

Also, I have to agree with the consensus that this is probably one of the best ac games in the series. The character is right there with ezio as far as likability, the game looks beautiful even on current gen and there is an absolute ton of stuff to do/see grab.

Though I do agree that in the beginning before you even have a ship or met the first assassin that being able to do those missions is a bit disjointed.

Vaclav

Not played the Ezio games AC3 actually got me hooked on the series as shitty as everyone else compares it to but absolutely destroys 3 for sure.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'm not really interested in the american revolution as a scenario, and I love pirates in the caribbean so I expect I'll like this more, but 3 was fine. Ezio wasn't that great. I got sick of him.

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
One of the memos I found in the game kinda breaks the 4th wall and talks about possible future settings for Assassin Creed games under the guise of Abstergo's new Animus entertainment products. It pretty much dismisses the modern era because 'driving everywhere causes people to enter a semi-catatonic state which impedes genetic synchronization' or something like that. It does mention a few of the obvious settings like Egypt, Japan, Napoleonic Era, etc.

I hope we see an Asian setting next just to mix things up. 'Warring States' Japan seems like the obvious choice or maybe China during the Three Kingdoms period.

Vaclav

AC5 has been heavily rumored to be a samurai era in Japan already. Those docs only point to Asia mainland that fits though.