Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I am having a blast just being a pirate in an open world. I started building out my hideout island, added a bar, a harbor master, and now I need to fix up my pirate mansion. I seriously could just log in and treasure hunt, island explore, and pirate/privateer without even advancing the mission. Too bad some of the upgrades are dependent on that advancement.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Goddamnit, hurry up PC release!

At least the PC version is only a couple weeks later, instead of 3-4 months later like some of the earlier AC games.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
replaying the game now to "enjoy" it, man still the best parts of asscreed for me are the recruits/(this time fleet ships) mini game. playing it the second time i can sorta understand how kenway can have assassin skills, a pirate climbs sails for a living everyday. but yea since i'm playing a new game, man it's so hard now to play with my mildly upgraded ship, but it actually makes me want to do naval battles now (so i can send ships to my fleet)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
And that's the part of the game that requires a code from ubisoft right?
I guess not any longer. It's now free.

I have no idea how to play that mini game. Is there a tutorial on it?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not that I saw, it's pretty simple though - capture ships and send them to Kenways Fleet to add more ships - routes have to be cleared via the "Attack Fleet" or whatever button on the branch before places to reduce the difficulty (plus get rewards - you can skip doing it, but the risk vs. reward seems wacky to not do it) then you send ships to each location - with them requiring an appropriate amount of storage and products (which you can get mostly by the Attack Fleet stuff) to complete each.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Not that I saw, it's pretty simple though - capture ships and send them to Kenways Fleet to add more ships - routes have to be cleared via the "Attack Fleet" or whatever button on the branch before places to reduce the difficulty (plus get rewards - you can skip doing it, but the risk vs. reward seems wacky to not do it) then you send ships to each location - with them requiring an appropriate amount of storage and products (which you can get mostly by the Attack Fleet stuff) to complete each.
This is the basic gist of it. A couple nitty-gritty points:

- It should be done during your normal gameplay. Some of the missions require a long time wait. For example, one of mine was 32 hours for a 5k+ payout.
- The higher ships (frigate, man-o-war, legendary?) have higher cargo capacity, which you need to embark on some of the higher paying missions (= 4k+ Reales).
- You can get collectibles and (if I recall) some cosmetic ship things from this, but it seems to be random what and from where. They don't announce it on the UI.
- Obligatory Abstergo challenges for doing this, so you have to do this mini-game if you want 100% completion.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
for the mini game, "gems" is how you "buy" stuff.
you get gems by capturing ships and salvaging them if you want, like if you salvaged a schooner or you just need to make room

gems is also how you get more docks

you also spend gems to repair ships

you can also earn gems by doing attack fleet, clear the route.

is there any disadvantage to ship stacking when fight? i just have like 3 v 1 or whatever most of the time.

do you earn metals and wood later on? or is that only gained from boarding ships?

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
for the mini game, "gems" is how you "buy" stuff.
you get gems by capturing ships and salvaging them if you want, like if you salvaged a schooner or you just need to make room

gems is also how you get more docks

you also spend gems to repair ships

you can also earn gems by doing attack fleet, clear the route.

is there any disadvantage to ship stacking when fight? i just have like 3 v 1 or whatever most of the time.

do you earn metals and wood later on? or is that only gained from boarding ships?
Short answer: boarding/sinking ships. (Fun fact, Heavy Shot vs. Frigates = fastest way to get them imo, if you're in the 'hard' flagged areas on the map. Some frigates I've seen carry up to 120 metal, for example, and one Heavy Shot volley with Cannons IV+ is a good half health gone. Haven't really played heavily with Mortars except in rare cases/forts.)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone use the droid app for fleet control? i'm pretty sure it's tablet only (wouldn't let me download in googleplay), i only have ipads, so oh well.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Which previous game is this one closest to? Im really new to AC games, I marathoned them this week I just started AC3 today if I beat it tomorrow it will be all 5 in 1 week.

I liked Revalations the best so far

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so... the last AC game i played was... uh... AC2. i think. i may have played the next game after that, but i can't follow their naming patterns so i can't remember. anyways, i keep wanting to get back into the series but i definately don't want to slog through a bunch of these games and burn myself out before i even get to be a pirate. how much of the series would you guys suggest actually playing, and how much could i wiki for the story and skip?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You don't need to play any assassin's creed to play any other one honestly, and doubly for 4. Just get 4 and play it if you want. Don't worry about the rest.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You don't need to play any assassin's creed to play any other one honestly, and doubly for 4. Just get 4 and play it if you want. Don't worry about the rest.
what about the last one that came out? the american revolution one... worth playing?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
what about the last one that came out? the american revolution one... worth playing?
I'm playing it on my PC now, what a buggy fucking POS. I'm sort of enjoying it, but it's still buggy on pc and is slow as fuck to get into the meat of the game.

I think skipping to AC4 is probably best unless you just really want to play them all.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I hated 3, purely because Conner was such an annoying character that he made Desmond seem likeable, but there are things that happen at the end of the game that are important to the series and get referenced in 4 if you pay attention and also find some of the hidden away content.

You can play 4 without having done 3 imo but you'll miss out on some context for at least one major scene that you can't avoid.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
You don't need to play any previous games.

The injun was a bit weird, but I enjoyed the instanced settlement development. I like having a nest and its own community that I can develop. At some point in the series it'd be nice to make big choices about how you'll develop your assassins and their cover locale rather than a procession of +1s.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Everyone hates it. I mean its like the single most hated AC since the first one. Its really sad but its true. The only part people liked, the ship stuff, had an entire game made out of it (AC4) so yeah ,just skip it.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Glad I'm not the only one. Everyone seems to think it is the weakest. I dunno I thought it was great. I guess the more serious version of Ezio turned off a lot of people.
I didn't mind serious Ezio, I minded how the writing felt disjoint and didn't really progress the 2012 plotline beyond "here's some more of what you know, now go to New York which was already hinted at in previous installments." The whole idea of the coma and whatnot felt forced to me.

...And that's without going into the near retcon of it all (compare Jupiter's message with Minerva's and Juno's messages in AC2 and ACB respectively; one of these things is not like the other ones).

(I still say they should've made AC3 a present day venture that followed up on the end of AC2 and ACB with the idea of going to MULTIPLE Vaults/Temples, since AC2 implied a solution for the solar problem existed and needed all those structures to enact it.)