Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I heard the PC version went on sale in some locations. Does anyone have it? How is the performance if so? Same, better, or worse than Assassin's Creed III?

I have this game on PS4 thanks to the buy 2 get 1 free promotion Amazon was doing, but the sub-1080p (until the patch lands) and 30fps kind of makes me want to get it on PC. I have a i5 2500k @ 3.8ghz, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM, and a Radeon 7970 3GB GPU. ACIII ran pretty damn well maxed out with this set up, probably around 40-60fps in most situations, but I'm wondering if ACIV is more demanding or not.
It already leaked on the torrent sites. Tried it out on my laptop. AC3 ran ok but this game just kills my poor little laptop. Will have to wait till I get my gaming rig up. I thought the patch had already been released for the PS4?

jdfording

Trakanon Raider
Best way to get metal early in the game is to keep a wanted level and kill pirate hunter ships. They usually have 80+ metal. After that the best way is to travel south on the map and take down man-o-wars. You will need some ship upgrades for these though. The legendary ships drop $20k also but they are tough without a maxed out ship. Fuck the double man-o-war fight.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
It already leaked on the torrent sites. Tried it out on my laptop. AC3 ran ok but this game just kills my poor little laptop. Will have to wait till I get my gaming rig up. I thought the patch had already been released for the PS4?
No, it's still 900p. The confusion about the day-one patch comes from horribly irresponsible misreporting by IGN, whose staff apparently lacks any kind of reading comprehension.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've been playing the PC version all week(have it pre-ordered on Steam but wanted to try it out, so snagged the Torrent). It runs great. Runs pretty much the same that AC3 did on my machine(660Ti vid card), which is prefectly smooth. If you ran AC3 well, this will be just fine. Game looks beautiful.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Best way to get metal early in the game is to keep a wanted level and kill pirate hunter ships. They usually have 80+ metal. After that the best way is to travel south on the map and take down man-o-wars. You will need some ship upgrades for these though. The legendary ships drop $20k also but they are tough without a maxed out ship. Fuck the double man-o-war fight.
Double Manowar was the easiest legendary, WTF...

Desmas_sl

shitlord
I got continuously raped by the double man o war fight. Hardcore. No lube.

Environment Quality is killing my framerate beyond normal
frown.png
GTX 760;\ Hoping a patch will fix this. The game is beautiful @_@

Vaclav

Ram legendary was the no lube one for me. Mortar was medium level painful. Other and double manowar were jokes for me, shrug.

Was max upgraded when I bothered with them though.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have any tips for new assassin's creed players? Things I need to know or shouldn't forget to do before x point in the campaign?

bytes

Molten Core Raider
The second you can roam freely on the map, do everything you possibly can; laugh at the campaign when it tries to show you what a fort is when you've taken down every single one of them already.

Vaclav

Well, depends bytes - it's a great idea if you want to make it easier. If you want a constant challenge he'd want to do the opposite and do minimal amounts of side stuff.

Depends on how he enjoys things - I prefer the route you outlined though personally.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
always goto a new place and sync, this way not only do you open up the map but every sync point (the eagle) is also a fast travel. also if you're upgraded enough take over the forts, once you do, they expose the whole region then it'll be easier to find that shark pelt for health upgrade or whatever.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been trying to be sneaky and find non-combat ways to get to my objectives and complete them. Is this a waste of my time? It can become extremely frustrating sometimes when I enter into combat in a sticky situation just before I complete my goal.

Should I just assassinate everything in my path?

Sean_sl

shitlord
I've been trying to be sneaky and find non-combat ways to get to my objectives and complete them. Is this a waste of my time? It can become extremely frustrating sometimes when I enter into combat in a sticky situation just before I complete my goal.

Should I just assassinate everything in my path?
Edward Kenway isn't some sneaky rogue. He's a fucking badass Pirate who yanked some bitch assassin's robes. The only time I do stealth stuff is when Ihave tofor objectives.

Juvarisx

Florida
I find the game is a lot more fun when you try to be sneaky about things, even if you don't strictly have to be. That is just my playstyle though and part of the reason I am looking forward to Thief so much. I watched Sean steam for 15 min or so yesterday and the combat at the later stages of the game is certainly a lot of fun as well if that is your thing.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I find the game is a lot more fun when you try to be sneaky about things, even if you don't strictly have to be. That is just my playstyle though and part of the reason I am looking forward to Thief so much. I watched Sean steam for 15 min or so yesterday and the combat at the later stages of the game is certainly a lot of fun as well if that is your thing.
After being super stealthy as possible for 5 AC games I am having an absolute blast being a badass Pirate and killing the fuck out of people in AC4.

spronk

FPS noob
got the PS4 version and pirated the PC version to compare the two. Feels mostly the same, cept a few rough FPS drops on PC now and then. While I can't really explain it, the PS4 version "feels" slightly better in responsiveness and reaction times. The PC crack is very janky, not even sure if I have a working game or if some shit is gonna be broken later on. Its not out officially until tomorrow on PC anyways, so thats probably part of the problem. The engine is pretty old/shitty though on both platforms, I definitely notice the lower quality textures and environment compared to something like Battlefield 4.

I'll probably just play the PC version since I can unlock all the DLCs and shit whereas the PS4 version will be much better for MP. PS4 controller works fine with PC version. There are a shit ton of graphic options for PC too, I have it currently set to highest setting on everything and FXAA, although dunno if MSAA or CSAA would be better looking. I'm pretty sure graphic drivers need some tweaking for AC4 though, and undoubtedly a few more game patches to fix bugs.

Sean_sl

shitlord
got the PS4 version and pirated the PC version to compare the two. Feels mostly the same, cept a few rough FPS drops on PC now and then. While I can't really explain it, the PS4 version "feels" slightly better in responsiveness and reaction times. The PC crack is very janky, not even sure if I have a working game or if some shit is gonna be broken later on. Its not out officially until tomorrow on PC anyways, so thats probably part of the problem. The engine is pretty old/shitty though on both platforms, I definitely notice the lower quality textures and environment compared to something like Battlefield 4.

I'll probably just play the PC version since I can unlock all the DLCs and shit whereas the PS4 version will be much better for MP. PS4 controller works fine with PC version. There are a shit ton of graphic options for PC too, I have it currently set to highest setting on everything and FXAA, although dunno if MSAA or CSAA would be better looking. I'm pretty sure graphic drivers need some tweaking for AC4 though, and undoubtedly a few more game patches to fix bugs.
FXAA is usually awful and can blur the fuck out shit and generally is a bad choice unless a developer has done some heavy modifications to it (like Killzone SF which uses FXAA + TMAA). MSAA is always better looking than it if your PC can handle it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
so now that you guys have played the game how much fun is the fleet minigame? I just watched a video of it and it looks like a really simple pokemon game.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
fucked mouse acceleration (sometimes inverted, sometimes not) and shit FOV. Horray for shitty console ports! I tried with a gamepad and threw the controller out the window when I remembered I couldn't do any major actions while moving the camera. fucking console peasants but there's so many of you.