Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Greece)

Crimson

Peasant
I gotta ask: is AC still repeating a lot of the same gameplay stuff since the PS4 generation?

I played in order and quit at Rogue, and even my first time through, Revelations was extremely hard to get through, as was 3, because the whole formula of stealth didn't work well to begin with, 1, and 2, they released each game way too quickly from the other, so it was essentially an asset-flip each time. This works for sports games, not so much open world action.

I've heard nothing but bad about any game in PS4, with Origins being the only one that seemed remotely (IE, barely) interesting. To be honest, even without the press, I still don't think I'd want to play (or even replay the ones I have) regardless, but it looks like Ubisoft is back at rapid-fire releases again, right?

Where is the series headed with this game and the future to those who've played it?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Origins and Odyssey mixed up the formula enough to make most long time fans happy. Lots of pseudo-RPG elements now.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's nothing pseudo about it. They're action RPG's now. Odyssey is pretty much Witcher 3 lite with a few features from other games added, complete with dialogue trees, builds, gear stats, hack & slash combat, open world, etc... I like the formula, but I do wish they would do both a more stealth oriented AC and a more H&S AC concurrently, but with fair amounts of time of dev for both sides of that coin. Stealth one year H&S the next and repeat. This would solve the shovelware issue while appeasing both types of fans.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crimson

Peasant
I guess after I try Witcher 3 (and like it), I might look into Origins or something after. Eh, light maybe. I'm still debating to even keep most of the PS3 games I have of AC. It's a very one-and-done kind of series.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I guess after I try Witcher 3 (and like it), I might look into Origins or something after. Eh, light maybe. I'm still debating to even keep most of the PS3 games I have of AC. It's a very one-and-done kind of series.

If your main concern is whether or not Origin/Odyssey are too much like the older AC's then I can say that it's definitely not something to worry about. They're still wearing the skin of AC with some stealth/assassination elements and certain plot stuff, but they play very differently. (Mind you the last AC of those types I played was Black Flag)

Odyssey is the superior game between it and Origin when it comes to gameplay and light-care-free tone, while Origin is more grounded in setting and world design. Origin wasn't sure what it wanted to be though and it shows with some stuff, while Odyssey is like that overly-confident jovial dude that everyone loves to be around.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yep I agree with Dom here. Odyssey is the superior game. But I am also very in sync with Greek mythology over Ancient Egypt. With that said, believe it or not, the first AC I actually finished was origins.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
The only game in the series I enjoyed assassinating people in was the first one. It's been so long since I played and I know it had issues, but for me the gameplay loop was actually interesting at the time.

Could never get through the 2nd or any of the rest of the series (and have played some of all of them outside the last 2 which I'll get to sooner or later) until the 4th. Haven't been able to finish any after either, though I'm definitely interested in Odyssey.

Speaking of Odyssey has anyone played both the PC and PS4Pro versions? Upgraded my PC so I'm tempted to get it on PC this time.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The only game in the series I enjoyed assassinating people in was the first one. It's been so long since I played and I know it had issues, but for me the gameplay loop was actually interesting at the time.

Could never get through the 2nd or any of the rest of the series (and have played some of all of them outside the last 2 which I'll get to sooner or later) until the 4th. Haven't been able to finish any after either, though I'm definitely interested in Odyssey.

Speaking of Odyssey has anyone played both the PC and PS4Pro versions? Upgraded my PC so I'm tempted to get it on PC this time.

I was on XBox One X for me so cannot comment :( However...

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'll add that I used a controller while playing it on PC. It just felt much better even though the kb/m controls were fine. Bit harder to aim bows with of course, but not too bad.

• 1Like

Crimson

Peasant

That's quite the rare opinion, since I recall 1 getting so tedious even the first time through like 60% in. Especially in the auditory department.

I recall thinking how 2 was such a major leap up in improvement, and I think I had the most fun out of any game with Brotherhood (IE, the real 3).

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
That's quite the rare opinion, since I recall 1 getting so tedious even the first time through like 60% in. Especially in the auditory department.

I recall thinking how 2 was such a major leap up in improvement, and I think I had the most fun out of any game with Brotherhood (IE, the real 3).
I get what he means, I think. For a series about assassins, AC1 was really the only one that had that feeling of: you have a target > gather intel on them > plan your approach > make your attack. It could've been developed a bit more, but the series kinda jettisoned that whole aspect after the first game, which I actually do think is a pity, for all the other ways that the series improved after that first one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I get what he means, I think. For a series about assassins, AC1 was really the only one that had that feeling of: you have a target > gather intel on them > plan your approach > make your attack. It could've been developed a bit more, but the series kinda jettisoned that whole aspect after the first game, which I actually do think is a pity, for all the other ways that the series improved after that first one.
Couldn't have said it better myself, thanks!

• 1Like

Crimson

Peasant

Yeah, it seemed to have been the only one I recall where stealth actually mattered at all. So, yeah, thanks for clarifying. I think I agree too.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Took a break from this game even if I enjoyed it a lot. The problem I have is that sometimes when I go to a fort or something similar the game slows down to a slideshow, like 1frame per second. Have to quit out and restart when it happens. Using a normal PS4.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
AC1 was a lot better once it made its way to PC. I wouldn't say AC2 or ACB really changed the formula much though. They were just better and betterer versions of the same formula. ACR was when the game got stagnant, I tried half a dozen times and could never finish that turd.

Took a break from this game even if I enjoyed it a lot. The problem I have is that sometimes when I go to a fort or something similar the game slows down to a slideshow, like 1frame per second. Have to quit out and restart when it happens. Using a normal PS4.
I had that happen 3 or 4 times on my Pro as well, though the last time was probably about 40 levels ago. Autosave in ACO is weird, sometimes it'll save 5 times in a minute and you lose zero progress, then another time you'll find your last autosave is half an hour back. I got in the habit of quicksaving a lot, especially right before any conversation related to a quest (not that it matters much, as there's only a tiny handful of "decisions" that have any real effect).

Yesterday's patch has me wanting to shelve the game even though I still haven't finished the story. There was absolutely no need to increase the level cap again just because they added some stupid NG+ nonsense. The game scales to your level which makes levels meaningless anyway. Once you're past level 50 the only things that can be higher than you are the final two tiers of mercs. All adding new levels does is take the xp grind which already existed in the form of mastery levels and turn it into actual levels again, which means you're back to either having your gear fall behind in level or you have to grind a retarded amount of materials to upgrade it all. I'm pretty sure the final tier of ship upgrades (which is batshit insane, especially the 10000 or so green gems you need) was all the material grinding anyone ever needed and then some. People who ask for NG+ in every goddamn game are as bad as the shippers who went full retard over the DLC story.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
AC1 was a lot better once it made its way to PC. I wouldn't say AC2 or ACB really changed the formula much though. They were just better and betterer versions of the same formula. ACR was when the game got stagnant, I tried half a dozen times and could never finish that turd.

I had that happen 3 or 4 times on my Pro as well, though the last time was probably about 40 levels ago. Autosave in ACO is weird, sometimes it'll save 5 times in a minute and you lose zero progress, then another time you'll find your last autosave is half an hour back. I got in the habit of quicksaving a lot, especially right before any conversation related to a quest (not that it matters much, as there's only a tiny handful of "decisions" that have any real effect).

Yesterday's patch has me wanting to shelve the game even though I still haven't finished the story. There was absolutely no need to increase the level cap again just because they added some stupid NG+ nonsense. The game scales to your level which makes levels meaningless anyway. Once you're past level 50 the only things that can be higher than you are the final two tiers of mercs. All adding new levels does is take the xp grind which already existed in the form of mastery levels and turn it into actual levels again, which means you're back to either having your gear fall behind in level or you have to grind a retarded amount of materials to upgrade it all. I'm pretty sure the final tier of ship upgrades (which is batshit insane, especially the 10000 or so green gems you need) was all the material grinding anyone ever needed and then some. People who ask for NG+ in every goddamn game are as bad as the shippers who went full retard over the DLC story.

So I had this shelved for a little bit but need to finish.

You mentioned level scaling. There is a way now to make everything your level when you go through the questing? Meaning I no longer have to grind levels? Because I would really just like to rip through the story quests.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I had this shelved for a little bit but need to finish.

You mentioned level scaling. There is a way now to make everything your level when you go through the questing? Meaning I no longer have to grind levels? Because I would really just like to rip through the story quests.

It scales UP to your level if you are over the original level range of the quest. If you are level 25 and want to tackle level 40 quests, it will still be level 40.

But honestly I really think my definition of grind does not mean what it's supposed to mean, because I hear this complaint all the time levied towards this game, and I just don't see it. I always thought grinding was like EQ... where I spent dozens of hours in one place (Cazic Thule) to get through the 30s. This game does not have that, it just doesn't intend for the main quest to be the ONLY thing you do. You are meant to actually tackle each region as you naturally work your way to the next major point. And most of the regions outside of the very very off the beaten path ones have a series of quests that tell their own story so you don't even have to just blindly run to each ? for the sole purpose of gaining levels.

In fact many of these smaller stories that are contained in these regions tell a better story than the overall main plot. There is one where two whore priestesses are at war with each other, and you are trying to figure out who is the cultist. There is another one where you help a rebellion overthrow a tyrant leader. Those are just a couple examples, and I didn't even mention the pretty big arc you have just doing Socrates' quest line. I don't know I guess to me, complaining about having to play stuff outside of the main story in this game is akin to complaining to you have to work your way through 4 levels to get to the bowser's castle at the end of each world in Mario, it doesn't register because basically that is the game.

With that said, I finally got around to starting the DLC this weekend, and I am digging it. Haven't gotten far enough yet to fully uncover what is truly going on but it's pretty cool.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Picked the game and season pass up while it was on sale a couple weeks ago and am enjoying it. Have come into the game completely blind and was a bit confused when I came across Socrates. If I'm hanging out with the originator of causing rage quits that puts this game about 500 years before Origins. I kind of figured with the title Origins that would be as far back as it goes. No complaints though as the mythology references have been good so far and sparta kicking or shield breaking gold bannered enemies off cliffs is really satisfying. Trying to get as many spear pieces as possible for upgrades but it is looking like a lot are gated behind main story quests or high level mobs which is a bit frustrating.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Got the free copy from the Project Stream beta, and dove back into this really heavily over the last week. I have had about zero interest in playing AC games (last one I played was the first), and I am very glad I picked this up.

Some impressions after 45 hours:
- Action RPG/RPG-lite, reminds me a lot of Horizon: Zero Dawn/GoW as far as genre goes.
- The Greek setting is just badass, lot's of fun.
- Usually I just burn through the "Main Story" in games, but I keep zoning off into random areas. The game is just fun, it's fun to just mindlessly break down an area and kill things.
- Menu's are all clean and easy to use, aside from quest organization (could be better).
- Not sure how I feel about gearing? I practically replace all my gear every couple of hours. I also haven't played with upgrading yet though (figured I'd save it for 50).
- I have the 50% EXP increase from Project Stream, and imagine this game would feel incredibly grindy without it.
- Tons of repetition in the game; weaken nations by clearing forts, and "Leader Houses", Conquest Battle, rinse & repeat.
- Mercenary system is definitely bland, could've been better.
- The story is ok, I could see it maybe getting to "solid" (currently at level 47 with about 10 cultists to kill).
- Playing as Warrior/Assassination mix, mainly. The Overpower Shot is incredibly, well, overpowered. Hero Strike is great also.

There is just something about this game, while repetitive, that gives a real sense of progression. It's scratching that MMO itch in the sense that I just want to get even stronger, and deck out my character. The scope of the game is impressive, and there is a general formula that makes it easy to just load up the game and mess around. There is enough in way of RPG-elements that make this worth continuing to play, even for someone who usually just wants to burn through games. While H:ZD, GoW, and RDR2 are all certainly higher quality games, I see this as one I will actually come back to more often (very surprisingly). Reminds me a lot of Shadow of Mordor, it's not the best game, but it's just fun to play (still have not touched Shadow of War, this has me more excited to).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I ran into an issue where my manual savegame got corrupted and the cloud saves had been silently failing all morning. Lost about an hour of progress. Not upset about it or whatever but I'll be cycling through my save slots from now on. Still really enjoying the game.