Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Greece)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Release Date:
October 5, 2018

Trailer:

This looks like of a departure from the old assassin's creed games and more like a regular western RPG. It's set during the Peloponnesian wars and you can pick between a male or female protagonist. The lead studio on this is Ubisoft Quebec who gave use Syndicate and has been working on this game for 3 years.

Decent writeup:
10 big things you need to know about Assassin's Creed Odyssey | TechRadar

Dorito pope interview with lead dev:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
1) I love how they came out with Origins to tell the story about how the Creed originated, then make an assassins crfeed game set 300 years before origins. (Idiots)

2) This looks, feels, and smells like a complete reskin. (3 years my ass)

3) Exploration would be awesome if they ever put in the effort to make exploration worth it aside from looking at graphics and having nothing else to do. Origins was a missed tomb raiding/puzzle game play opportunity which could have carried unique mission structure with it. I am sure they will not do anything with the mythology in their mission structure in this, and screw the pooch on another time period which holds tons of game play opportunities.

tl;dr - these guys suck but at least they did something better with story in Far Cry 5.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
i didn't even realize this takes place 300 years before Origins, that really makes no fucking sense unless the story revolves around the Templars (or whatever the templars are called in origins, i forget) i guess.

they really need to reboot the entire series, its a total mess at this point and the modern day stuff is just a joke. i'll play for sure at some point but its just one of those games i will get around to eventually, the museum stuff ends up being way cooler than the actual game story

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
If I had to guess based on the trailer, I’d say the story may have nothing to do with the actual Assassins (beyond whatever minor modern-day tie-in they toss in there), and instead be focused on the fact that the spear the main character has is a Piece of Eden.

Really, if I had my way, Ubi would come up with an ending to the story, get there, and actually end the series. Then, replace it with a “series” of unrelated historical open-world games—ones that have no common narrative thread like the Assassins vs Templars thing, but are just about a major period in history and playing an iconic archetype from that period.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They ended the story with 3 and they've just kinda been tacking the out of animus story on ever since. I already view the game as what you envisioned: A series of unrelated historical open world games.

• 1Dislike

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You know what would be nice? Effort into mission design instead of this copy paste garbage. They give us beautiful set pieces, and then nothing to do in them.

When I see people saying "Oh I cannot wait to explore "Set piece".... I want to remind them what in the hell are you exploring? NOTHING. You are exploring something nothing short of a sky box because there isn't anything over there anyway because there aren't any game play mechanic missions surrounding the exploration POI in the set piece anyway! Blows my mind how a company can create such great actual world building, and then put nothing fucking in it to actually have fun playing.

For example: The pyramids in Egypt. What a worthless side piece that was. Inside there could have been countless tombs, traps, puzzles, story missions, huge risk/reward, hell it could have been a game by itself. Instead? You enter through a small hole in the damn pyramid, press A to move a block, drop down and collect some garbage and loot and leave. Save one mission where there was some time travel thingamabob which wasn't anything special. And with this, imagine what they could do with the mythology surrounding Greece. Centric mythical battle missions. A side quest of the Odyssey. Clash of the titans. Medusa. Zeus. Anything and everything is at their disposal in this time period. Hell, I bet we don't even see a Cyclops.

The only time I have ever seen them do anything with this was with Jack the Ripper in Syndicate, and then they charged DLC for the damn thing, and the mission sucked anyway.

Instead... More bland mission structures with shit voice acting with NPC's and protags we don't give a rats ass about.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They ended the story with 3 and they've just kinda been tacking the out of animus story on ever since. I already view the game as what you envisioned: A series of unrelated historical open world games.
Generally true, although in my ideal world, they would be unrelated in both story and gameplay. Both narratively and mechanically, I’m a little tired of playing as an Assassin in _____ time period; I want a golden age of piracy game where you simply play as a pirate, or a crusades game where you play as a knight, or a medieval China game where you play as a Shaolin monk, or whatever. Having the gameplay and the story be shaped by the time period it’s set in, rather than doing the same thing in every setting.

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Generally true, although in my ideal world, they would be unrelated in both story and gameplay. Both narratively and mechanically, I’m a little tired of playing as an Assassin in _____ time period; I want a golden age of piracy game where you simply play as a pirate, or a crusades game where you play as a knight, or a medieval China game where you play as a Shaolin monk, or whatever. Having the gameplay and the story be shaped by the time period it’s set in, rather than doing the same thing in every setting.

Sounds like they'd have to do additional work and would have to pitch each game to fans as its own game.

This way they can recycle everything but the world and put out a new game every 12 months and guarantee profit because of the franchise's name recognition.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sounds like they'd have to do additional work and would have to pitch each game to fans as its own game.

This way they can recycle everything but the world and put out a new game every 12 months and guarantee profit because of the franchise's name recognition.

Yep. That’s about all they do.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ac origins was so boring i cant imagine getting another ac game.

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
If you had only 60$ to spend, why the hell would you spend it on more asscreed garbage, w/o seemingly assassins instead of

Ghost of Tsushima?

• 2Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It takes nothing but decent artists to create beautiful skybox.

Takes good artists to build a beautiful world.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
They also want to treat Odyssey as a semi GAAS with weekly new content drops and such, which is sorta hard to believe. FC5 and Origins both had weekly "stuff" to do between daily quest, weekly big god bosses to fight, weekly quests (solo and community) in FC5, etc but nothing they do really feels like new content compared to Monster Hunter World, COD WW2, or even Destiny

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I hope people stop buying this shit so they are forced to innovate. (I’m a hypocrite because I bought origins on sale and loved far cry 5)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
They have so much they could do here with Greek mythology, but it will fall flat because there isn’t an easy way to reskin it from origins.

So many missed oops with Egypt it was astounding at how little creativity is left.

Whoever did Far Cry 5 should tackle the next creed.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Finally got around to playing Origins, and finished it this last weekend. I still feel like it's time to put AC out to pasture, but credit where credit is due, aside from one or two stumbles (boy, whoever was the lead on quest design really liked the pick-up-and-carry-things mechanic), it was a good shakeup for the series. If nothing else, I'm really happy to see that developers seem to be collectively learning their lesson about over-relying on collectibles to pad out open-world games. One could argue the semantics, but I'd be comfortable asserting that AC:Origins doesn't have anything that I'd label a simple collectible; even the simplest PoI at least has a little more substance to it than "go here and pick up the thing."

And Discovery Mode was surprisingly awesome. That needs to be a staple in the series going forward.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ubisoft is such shit now, was just reading how the division 2 expansions are going to be free, except you can buy them for "early access"

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It's weird not to be excited for an AC game, but I found origins to be such a disappointment that I just don't care any more.

I'm bored of these "ORIGINS OF THE BROTHERHOOD!!!!!!!" storylines. I want to move forward and not just get snatches of the Assassin vs Templar war through offbeat outside of animus sections.

I feel like Desmond tied the story together and kept it moving, and without it him it just feels wishy washy, and has no logical end point for the plot.

• 1Like