Audiobooks

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ok going to be moving this weekend and I have an hour drive to work to use.
I'm going to start with audible and dead man door? Second book for the name of the wind series.

I like hard science fiction, what was the book with a lot of "e" on the name, teseres? The one about moving the earth. Is it good?
What will be a good third choice?
Seveneves? Stephenson book, but I don't really know the plot.

If I recall, the first half of the book was supposed to be exceptional, but the 2nd was just "meh"?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Seveneves is a different thing, moon explodes so humans are fucked. It's good, second half is a huge shift in tone though. Only one I'm familiar with about moving the earth is The Wandering Earth by that chinese guy who did Three Body Problem.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Ok going to be moving this weekend and I have an hour drive to work to use.
I'm going to start with audible and dead man door? Second book for the name of the wind series.

I like hard science fiction, what was the book with a lot of "e" on the name, teseres? The one about moving the earth. Is it good?
What will be a good third choice?
I'm listening to Neuromancer right now. It's pumping me up for Cyberpunk.

• 1Solidarity

Braen

<Medals Crew>
How I usually get my audio books is join my local library (I actually have 3), download the books I want through them with Overdrive which puts MP3s on your phone, then I just copy them to a drive and listen when I can. The only drawback is waiting for some books to become available, but I have grow patient in my old age.

I use Smart AudioBook player on my Android. It's great

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm listening to Neuromancer right now. It's pumping me up for Cyberpunk.
So, I recently listened to Neuromancer and it's awesome, had read it a long time ago so that was cool. But I never read either of the follow ups, Count Zero or Mona Lisa Overdrive. I tried listening to these but I just cant get into it at all. I dont know what it is, like 3 hours in and I realize I have no idea what the plot is, any character names, any idea of what is happening. Maybe just the autism acting up, I dont know.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
So, I recently listened to Neuromancer and it's awesome, had read it a long time ago so that was cool. But I never read either of the follow ups, Count Zero or Mona Lisa Overdrive. I tried listening to these but I just cant get into it at all. I dont know what it is, like 3 hours in and I realize I have no idea what the plot is, any character names, any idea of what is happening. Maybe just the autism acting up, I dont know.

It's sorta dumb but I try and keep a notebook and pencil nearby when I'm listening to something so I can take some notes. If the book isn't connecting with me 100% my ability to keep things straight goes right in to the goddamn shitter. It's also easier to retain cool passages or new words if I write them down.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

I was like you. I loved Neuromancer, but every time I tried to read Count Zero I got really bogged down in characters that I didn't know. This went on for a decade or more. Last year I finally slogged through both Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive. The latter is a better book and more fun, but Count Zero is required reading for MLO to make sense. In any case, I think the payoff is there if you liked Neuromancer. I would definitely just buckle down and read them. Even if you get confused about exactly why we're following this character (this happened to me several times) it eventually makes sense.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I was like you. I loved Neuromancer, but every time I tried to read Count Zero I got really bogged down in characters that I didn't know. This went on for a decade or more. Last year I finally slogged through both Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive. The latter is a better book and more fun, but Count Zero is required reading for MLO to make sense. In any case, I think the payoff is there if you liked Neuromancer. I would definitely just buckle down and read them. Even if you get confused about exactly why we're following this character (this happened to me several times) it eventually makes sense.
I think I may go for this next. I really like Neuromancer and I want to go through it again, so I may give the others a shot. First I have to work through my current queue, relistening to The Expanse series and then I have The Shining and Doctor Sleep lined up. I also want to finish up the Philip K Dick books I have, did A Scanner Darkly about a month ago and that one's awesome.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I got a couple of good ones in this sale. Picked up Blackwater by Michael McDowell. I've probably been sleeping on this guy, but I had someone recommend The Elementals by him to me and it was really fucking good, so I picked that up. Also picked up Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson, same guy who did the Mars trilogy, which was pretty good, a lot of cool concepts and stuff, but probably too long.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Get the fuck out of here with your French Canadian audible links.
I can't remember why they keep linking in that terrible language... Certainly not French, mama ain't raised no bitch!

Just picked up the McDowell books as well -- heard good things, but that endorsement pushed it over the line. What I've bought so far, and the The Elementals & Blackwater from McDowell now.

2019-08-01_10-50-47.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I can't remember why they keep linking in that terrible language... Certainly not French, mama ain't raised no bitch!

Just picked up the McDowell books as well -- heard good things, but that endorsement pushed it over the line. What I've bought so far, and the The Elementals & Blackwater from McDowell now.

View attachment 217360

The first law trilogy sets the bar man, that guy ruined me for listening to audio books. So fucking good.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You got a lot of good shit there, nice. I really love Jemisin's stuff, so different than other sci-fi/fantasy I've seen.

I've had a couple of Abercrombie books sitting on the bench for a while, just never made the jump to get into them. May have to push that up the queue.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just finished up The Shining and Doctor Sleep. I was familiar with the movie of The Shining, obviously, but had never read the book, went into it not really knowing what to expect. So, Kubrick is obviously a genius etc but I actually think the story in the book is better than the plot of the movie. Jack in the book is a much more layered and developed character, where Jack in the movie is just a fucking psycho who was barely holding his shit together even without the hotel. The only thing I didn't much care for was the narrator, it was Campbell Scott, he's a good actor but he doesn't put too much inflection on his voice in the non-"psycho-jack" parts.

I had heard bad things about Doctor Sleep, but I thought it was pretty good. Not great not terrible. Like, King was trying to tell a story about repeating the sins of our fathers and there's a really interesting story there if you couple that with Danny's powers and with the hotel and everything associated with that. Weird psychic vampires is cool too, I guess, but seems like that's a story King has already told so I don't know why he felt the need to bring Danny into that story. Missed opportunity. The narrator was Will Patton and he's really good.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Just finished the third Dresden Files audiobook. I like the books but I'm really getting tired of hearing the narrator swallow and breath constantly. Why is it so pronounced in these audiobooks? I've listened to a ton and never heard all this gulping and gasping. The guy actually does a great job but man they really need a sound guy or something.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished the third Dresden Files audiobook. I like the books but I'm really getting tired of hearing the narrator swallow and breath constantly. Why is it so pronounced in these audiobooks? I've listened to a ton and never heard all this gulping and gasping. The guy actually does a great job but man they really need a sound guy or something.
The audiobooks and story's get markedly better after the 3rd one, so you're in luck there.