Audiobooks

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've been listening to "The Greystone Chronicles" series. It's super enjoyable and insane quality narrators (has a male and female).

It's a slightly in the future VR MMORPG setup, where you can earn real money by playing the game. It's pretty enjoyable. It has me wanting to listen outside of when I normally would (driving, going to bed) which doesn't happen often. Highly recommend

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I've been listening to "The Greystone Chronicles" series. It's super enjoyable and insane quality narrators (has a male and female).

It's a slightly in the future VR MMORPG setup, where you can earn real money by playing the game. It's pretty enjoyable. It has me wanting to listen outside of when I normally would (driving, going to bed) which doesn't happen often. Highly recommend
Giving this a try with a free credit,but the book is only 14 hours long =(

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I've been listening to Mistborn, and I'm sad that I slept on that series honestly. Just reaching the end of the Well of Ascension atm.

How is Stormlight compared to it?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've been listening to Mistborn, and I'm sad that I slept on that series honestly. Just reaching the end of the Well of Ascension atm.

How is Stormlight compared to it?
I actually like the Mistborn stuff a bit more than Stormlight. Pretty sure I'm in the minority though. They're both pretty good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Finished the third Audio book in "The Greystone Chronicles" and I'm pretty happy with all of them. Waiting on the Audiobooks for 4 and 5.

I might start one of his other series, but there are a few other things I want to catch up on first.

I feel like this is my first exposure to LitRPG outside of Daemon by Daniel Suarez (which I feel like might not qualify?). Is there much good stuff out there? Preferably with narration as good as this, because it was excellent.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Finished the third Audio book in "The Greystone Chronicles" and I'm pretty happy with all of them. Waiting on the Audiobooks for 4 and 5.

I might start one of his other series, but there are a few other things I want to catch up on first.

I feel like this is my first exposure to LitRPG outside of Daemon by Daniel Suarez (which I feel like might not qualify?). Is there much good stuff out there? Preferably with narration as good as this, because it was excellent.
4 hours in.

and OMG it is soo cheezy!!!

So far it is like reading SAO, heavy mixed with wow mechanics.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Cheese personally doesn't bother me, as long as entertaining.
It’s not. This is the most cringe shit I’ve read in a long time.

This is literally in the book:

“Boss, if we lower fees on the in game auction house we will lose billions of dollars. We should do it because.”

“Brilliant! Let’s do it. Who’s idea was this?”

“Boss, it was mine”

“Well congratulations on your $1M bonus!”

• 1Cringe

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Give it a little more credit than that. The premise was to get people to use it instead of black market because black market is more convenient.

That was still completely unnecessary hey look we are the good guys though

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Give it a little more credit than that. The premise was to get people to use it instead of black market because black market is more convenient.

That was still completely unnecessary hey look we are the good guys though
The “black market” was just people advertising in chat and trading in person. And it’s far from the only example, the whole book is basically hey look we are the good guys. I mean the main in game conflict is the main character being so buttmad that some people PvP in a VR game that allows PvP. And killing npcs gets you put into e-jail for a year.

Every premise of the book is pretty much garbage. The characters are about as one dimensional as you can get too. Maybe in later books it’s better.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I've always enjoyed Terry Goodkinds books "Sword of Truth" Series.
I've not had time to conitnue with them after the last book, but my new commute allows me the hours to listen instead of reading.
I've caught up on:
  • The Nicci Chronicles
and am eagerly awaiting the next one
Also caught up on his:
  • Children of D'Hara
mini series of books which i wish i would have waited to start since they are pretty short and i am dying to start book 4 now.

If you've not read his books, they are (IMO) awesome. He does have a tendency to repeat himself, but these are sword and sorcery type books, but not in your face sword and sorecery like Autumn Twilight for example.
Book 1 of the whole series is called "Wizards First Rule", I actually have most of his books in hardcover and signed as well :)

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Ok, finished the greystone Chronicle's book 1.

The voice acting was very good. The girl was 9/10 very pleasant voice, the guy I rate 7/10 , I didn't like some of his interpretations. But overall it was enjoyable.
It was a bit pricey for 14 hours. The story line had too much cheese and at some points unrealistic. For example the head of accounting, making $400,000 a year, had a son struggling to make ends meet in college.

Anyways lukewarm recommendation the voice acting probably makes it a "yes". The audiocrew is named The Sound Booth Theater Productions

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The entire Dune collection by Simon Vance.
I’m on Heretics now and enjoying the audiobook much more than the read years ago.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just finished the first two books in the Earthsea cycle, A Wizard of Earthsea and Temple of Atuan. Pretty good books, I slept on Ursula Le'Guin hard and then a couple of years ago I read The Left Hand of Darkness and resolved to get through everything she has.

Going through The Dead Zone now, never actually read that before or saw the movie. Just finished It, pretty good voice acting. Next up in queue is Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said and The Raven Tower. Which, btw, is written by Ann Leckie, who wrote the Imperial Radch series, which is some damn good sci-fi. Apprently The Raven Tower is her first fantasy book so I'm looking forward to it.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, finished the greystone Chronicle's book 1.

The voice acting was very good. The girl was 9/10 very pleasant voice, the guy I rate 7/10 , I didn't like some of his interpretations. But overall it was enjoyable.
It was a bit pricey for 14 hours. The story line had too much cheese and at some points unrealistic. For example the head of accounting, making $400,000 a year, had a son struggling to make ends meet in college.

Anyways lukewarm recommendation the voice acting probably makes it a "yes". The audiocrew is named The Sound Theater
That's really what it is imo. The voice acting is just some of the best. I need to look into more stuff they've done

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
fibble girl is kind of hot
1571932396012.png

lol ok enough creeper.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Listening to some audio books now since I really can't read. It's amazing listening to a few books I read years and years ago that who the reader is makes a big difference in how the story comes off. Started one, didn't really get into it and picked up another copy. Different reader, night and day in the story.