Austin, Texas

Kiki

Log Wizard
Try Sway if you like Thai. There are 3 of them now. Some of them are a bit hidden unless you know what you are looking for.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Has it really gotten that bad in Austin? My wife and I are talking about finally getting out of LA and heading back east somewhere and Austin was on the list of maybes. We're actually planning on visiting this summer to scope it out in early August unless the corona virus fucks us over.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Has it really gotten that bad in Austin? My wife and I are talking about finally getting out of LA and heading back east somewhere and Austin was on the list of maybes. We're actually planning on visiting this summer to scope it out in early August unless the corona virus fucks us over.

Coming from LA, Austin should still be much better. Most people here complaining about Austin is due to how much Austin has grown, and rightfully so. It has exploded. But a lot of it is comparing to "how it used to be", so you really probably won't resonate with that issue. The traffic issue should still be a massive improvement over LA. It is still a very "hip" place, with tons to do. All the food options you could ever want, music etc...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
My wife and I moved to Austin from Minneapolis January 1st this year. So far so good, it has been great. The difficulties for us you will largely be used to coming from an even larger / busier area. Traffic is brutal and downtown (when not locked down) is basically a game of cat and mouse with all the pedestrians / scooters / etc. being ridden around. The different neighborhoods feel very different. South feels a bit more suburban, East is a bit more hip, and North has a large college population.

We moved into East MLK a couple of months ago, just outside of East proper. It is more our speed and homey yet still within 5 miles of downtown and various other activities. Lots of gentrification going on, house prices are pretty crazy compared to MN (2 - 3x) but probably a steal compared to CA. Plenty of new construction and remodels so there is certainly not a shortage on choice.

We were not able to get out much before lock down started and only really poked around in East. Great food, good gyms, coffee shops, and plenty to do and see for sure. We are pretty introverted so we didn't explore much of the scene down town before things closed up. We didn't get to experience SXSW either so we have a pretty vanilla run so far.

We moved to get away from winter and get a similar feel to NE Minneapolis and I would say it has the same type of vibe.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
East Austin is pretty great. I haven't spent a ton of time in Austin but that area suits me the most.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
My wife and I moved to Austin from Minneapolis January 1st this year. So far so good, it has been great. The difficulties for us you will largely be used to coming from an even larger / busier area. Traffic is brutal and downtown (when not locked down) is basically a game of cat and mouse with all the pedestrians / scooters / etc. being ridden around. The different neighborhoods feel very different. South feels a bit more suburban, East is a bit more hip, and North has a large college population.

We moved into East MLK a couple of months ago, just outside of East proper. It is more our speed and homey yet still within 5 miles of downtown and various other activities. Lots of gentrification going on, house prices are pretty crazy compared to MN (2 - 3x) but probably a steal compared to CA. Plenty of new construction and remodels so there is certainly not a shortage on choice.

We were not able to get out much before lock down started and only really poked around in East. Great food, good gyms, coffee shops, and plenty to do and see for sure. We are pretty introverted so we didn't explore much of the scene down town before things closed up. We didn't get to experience SXSW either so we have a pretty vanilla run so far.

We moved to get away from winter and get a similar feel to NE Minneapolis and I would say it has the same type of vibe.

Just wait for summer...it is a motherfucker around here. Absolutely oppressive, like step outside and you will be wet. I suspect that will be a shock for you guys if you haven't experienced it yet.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah this place in the summer is like the heat when you open up your dryer but all the time and everywhere. At least humidity is rather low and being in the shade helps a little.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Y'all dry 105 ain't got shit on Central Florida 93 and 150% humidity.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I live in Austin now and San Antonio before here. Both seem cooler than Louisiana, MS and Houston for me.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If you folks drink, I've got a list of places you should go once things start ratcheting back up. Same for food. Specify your interests.

I've lived in and around Austin for like 30 years now. A lot of the "scene" places have closed or changed their theme/mood. For example I used to love Halcyon when it was a chill coffee shop with couches that college kids used to study at and you'd always catch some hot lesbian couple making out. Now it's a mixer with music loud as fuck, tall tables with bar stools to fit more people. Kinna the same shit with Spiderhouse off 35th. What used to be trendy but chill is now just trendy and obnoxious.

The drag used to have cool shit on it, not so much anymore. Reminds me of district's in London where it's just shitty electronics shops and Greek food run by an alibaba motherfucker. Only reason I'm ever in that area is for one of the concert halls.

But new places pop up all the time. And there's always live music to be had if you're into that. Streets 2nd through 7th will have food trucks running after 9pm on Friday and Saturday nights. Google your type of music to find a club or bar, get schlotzed and go grab some trashy Korean BBQ or whatever. SoCo (South Congress) has most of my preferred clubs, but no idea what has survived.

Burgers, get out to hopdoddy in Round Rock (North 35).
Ramen, Ramen Tatsuya, little bit north on 183.
BBQ in Austin is overrated as fuck. Though if I go anywhere with actually good BBQ out of the city I'll take a bottle of Stubbs or Smokey Moe's sauce with me because no one does sauce like they do.
Steak, Sullivan's if they're still open. Ruth's Chris gets hype but it's more statement than good steak. Sullivan's is expensive as fuck, too, but way better.
Tacos? Try Torchy's. Not for everyone. Get extra meat instead of ordering two. Avoid the fish. I prefer trashy Mexican places where the menu is in Spanish and the cashier doesn't speak English.

Food downtown that's not in a food truck is going to be overpriced to hell and average at best.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Tacos? Try Torchy's.

download (1).jpeg

• 1Worf

Tim

Molten Core Raider
The Whip In is my favorite hang in Austin. Go there every time I'm in town. It started out as a corner store and slowly evolved into a corner store + craft beer bar + Indian restaurant.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The Whip In is my favorite hang in Austin. Go there every time I'm in town. It started out as a corner store and slowly evolved into a corner store + craft beer bar + Indian restaurant.

I also dig the Whip-In. I only hit up my neighborhood pub anymore though because its quiet AF on the weekends. Just how I like it.

Now if the fucking place would open back up.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
What % normal do you think it'll be come end of July/Early August? I'm wondering if we'll be able to get a feel for the city or if it'll be a fear stricken shutdown nightmare like LA is.