Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So I'm picturing one guy has to get out on the freeway and sacrifice themselves to retrieve the can where as soon as he starts to move it his car just takes off without him at 150 mph.
i can see something like that happening to me or the other robot cars going 150mph cant stop in time when they detect my stopped car. nope nope nope

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Scary thing shit is almost this bad now. A lot of the shady loan companies basically install lojack type stuff to constantly track where the car is at all time and can disable it remotly so if you don't pay your bill repo of them is stupidly simple.
It's even better when the company that manages your car security fires one of its employees, and the pissed guy sits at the computer and starts disabling every single car in alphabetical order.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ehh insurance will still exist, it will just be Google paying the premiums, not Joe Bob.
And that's not a good thing, because:

1) Google is going to pass on the price of premiums to Joe Bob the buyer of the Google car
2) Joe Bob now has no say in how much premiums he has to pay

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
if they see you stumbling to and from your car drunk every weekend/weekday or perhaps you are travelling in bad parts of town. your insurance rates may begin to skyrocket. there is no end to where big brother can fuck you.
This, my friend, is where you may regret some of the laws from Europe notably the data privacy laws (which were much maligned in the old site in the ME thread, because Hitler).

In Europe, the above is illegal. Your insurance company is not allowed to collect that type of information, and if they manage to get that, it is illegal to act on it; the penalties being up to 4% of their worldwide income (not profit, income) and 5 years of prison for the CEO per judgement.

(there's a few things that insurances are legally allowed to collect and use for premium calculations; number of accidents and anything not related to the person itself, such as number of km driven per year, age of the car, home location, etc)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is a big problem in advanced research. You're trying to push grand ideas and get funding for them, but you don't have a real idea for what the timeline is going to be. Even research in private sector, bluechip companies like Ford this is important, because the executives and board control how much profit is invested into R&D. You can't tell them it won't be available for a decade and you can't tell them you don't know. You're also aligned with more constrained systems. Ex:

Ford might have a new transmission they'll target for 2019 F-150s and similar vehicles. They have an entire program dedicated to this, with many teams of people working for many years to put it together. The 2019 date can change, but generally it doesn't. Projects like these are the meat and potatoes of Ford's engineering work.

Compare this to what their autonomy systems are doing. I don't think they've targeted any specific model years, but they are working toward a big ride-sharing project. I haven't seen any details on what the constraints of that ride sharing project will be, but I would bet the real constraints will be defined by the level of success and how rigorously they can test it. If they still have massive problems in snow, you'll see that constraint exist. If they figure it out, it won't.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
What? Avanced research doesn't have timelines? That's flase.

The probelm is they are often way too optomistic (end up pushing things too quickly) or way to conservative (end up with advanced product that is useless because of a competitor)

• 1Like

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was mostly kidding around calling Tuco a pussy. But it is a bit hypocritical to scoff at other people's predictions of when a certain level of autonomy will be commercially available, while at the same time refusing to give any of his own predictions.

"We can do XYZ by 2020!"

"Pfft, not a fucking chance. No way. Are you crazy? That's just not going to happen. Nu-uh. Totally unpossible."

"Oh, okay. Well when then?"

"It's impossible to say! Just not when you say!"

And it's not that I disagree or agree. I don't follow this shit to any level of detail. I just want to be able to jerk off while driving to the mountains, dammit.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haven't made it through the entire thread yet, but I'm amazed that some of you think it'll be 30-40+ years before this is a thing.

I'd bet by 2030 autonomous cars on the road will outnumber manually driven ones (normal cars will still outnumber autonomous ones, but likely not be on the actual roads).

I'm actually a little worried that my plans to spend 2 or 3 years living in an RV driving around North America might be derailed because the technology comes too fast.

Every time one of these futuristic type threads come around, I always think about that WaitButWhy AI Revolution article. Most of us can't comprehend how fast things will change because we're so focused on "how things usually happen." We forget how fast technology is actually changing things, and worse, underestimate how fast it will be in the future.

Edit: Okay, done. I also found it funny the people saying "Fuck that, I don't trust robots." I picture you like the people when airplanes were first introduced being like "What, are you insane? You want to get in that thing and fly around the air? Nope, I'll never fly in my lifetime!" or that lightbulbs were a pipe dream and you were fine with your candles.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I was mostly kidding around calling Tuco a pussy. But it is a bit hypocritical to scoff at other people's predictions of when a certain level of autonomy will be commercially available, while at the same time refusing to give any of his own predictions.

"We can do XYZ by 2020!"

"Pfft, not a fucking chance. No way. Are you crazy? That's just not going to happen. Nu-uh. Totally unpossible."

"Oh, okay. Well when then?"

"It's impossible to say! Just not when you say!"

And it's not that I disagree or agree. I don't follow this shit to any level of detail. I just want to be able to jerk off while driving to the mountains, dammit.
So, it's likely that Ford will be able to do XYZ by 2021 (by XYZ, I mean have a limited release of highly constrained, driverless taxis. Japan will do it in 2020 for their olympic games). But once that occurs, deep market penetration of autonomy at that level won't happen quickly. And further autonomy won't come as easily.

There's a lot of problems that we have to solve to get from level 2/3 to level 5, and these aren't easy problems, so don't get pissed when it's 2030 and we haven't solved them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haven't made it through the entire thread yet, but I'm amazed that some of you think it'll be 30-40+ years before this is a thing.

I'd bet by 2030 autonomous cars on the road will outnumber manually driven ones (normal cars will still outnumber autonomous ones, but likely not be on the actual roads).
Don't bet the house on that.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
There's a lot of problems that we have to solve to get from level 2/3 to level 5, and these aren't easy problems, so don't get pissed when it's 2030 and we haven't solved them.

I'll be on your doorstep with a torch and pitchfork, bro. And I'll be especially pissed because it took me 30 hours of no jerking off to get there.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If you are referring to TRLs here, then by definition that's not advanced development.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Well put this in your pipe and smoke it.

End-to-End Deep Learning for Self-Driving Cars

In a new automotive application, we have used convolutional neural networks (CNNs) to map the raw pixels from a front-facing camera to the steering commands for a self-driving car. This powerful end-to-end approach means that with minimum training data from humans, the system learns to steer, with or without lane markings, on both local roads and highways. The system can also operate in areas with unclear visual guidance such as parking lots or unpaved roads.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Edit: Okay, done. I also found it funny the people saying "Fuck that, I don't trust robots." I picture you like the people when airplanes were first introduced being like "What, are you insane? You want to get in that thing and fly around the air? Nope, I'll never fly in my lifetime!" or that lightbulbs were a pipe dream and you were fine with your candles.
Speaking only for myself, its not that I dont trust the robots. I dont trust the unholy alliance of DMV and TSA that will be in charge of making the rules that programmers have to implement in those robots.

I also fundamentally cant wrap my head around people not liking to drive and prefering to do it themselves (WTF, when you're on family vacation do you let the wife drive or do you do it?)... but thats probably one of those "there are two kinds of people" things. As long as they dont outlaw self driving I'll be content (spoiler alert: they definitely will)

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The biggest problem with driving is most people think they are good drivers, but they aren't. They're the fuckheads that pull into the middle lane of a highway going 40 miles an hour, the dipshit in a SUV who thinks because they are in a SUV they can drive 80 mph in a blizzard with heavy snow accumulation on the highway, the left lane bandit, the assholes that don't understand zipper merge, the people who slow to 50 MPH when they see a cop even though the speed limit is 65 and cops usually don't give a shit unless you are pushing 80, the "offisher i am only buzzed, not drunk", etc. This is why we have tens of thousands of people die or get maimed every year in MVA.

I totally get that some people like driving, but like the earlier analogy with horses, people will still be able to self-drive, but they will be the minority and restricted as to where they can do that.