Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
If they ban human drivers in cities, traffic control for construction zones will be a thing of the past. Simply have someone at central navigation designate a zone as off limits to vehicles and watch the patterns shift around it.

Also I see owning a single car being just a weird idea at that point. People will subscribe to a service and they can upgrade to a really nice fleet with robo butlers, or they can take the bargain deal that smells like feet. For the primo package Your location is tracked via your device and they have a luxury spa on wheels waiting in a holding pattern near your location or arriving at a set time. You get the bargain crap deal, you might be waiting till a vehicle becomes available.

And never take the bus, once those things are driving around 24/7 and only need to stop to charge up or go in for maintenance, people will just live on them. They will have to head over to the hobo removal station every couple of cycles to clean off the humans that just wont leave.

Even when people don't own the vehicles they will still be status symbols.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
1gG63Os.gif
For this shit to work on an autonomous level all the windows in those cars need to be blacked out for the first few years. Imagine all the screaming and heart attacks from people thinking they will collide with another vehicle.

On another note i cant wait for first public AI execution for multiple death fuckups.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
For this shit to work on an autonomous level all the windows in those cars need to be blacked out for the first few years. Imagine all the screaming and heart attacks from people thinking they will collide with another vehicle.

buzz_and_woody_57b7b69421ceb1642.jpg

Just rebuild everything with our new robot workers.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Imagine all the screaming and heart attacks from people thinking they will collide with another vehicle.

Yeah, riding through an intersection like that as a passenger would be terrifying.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Why do the autonomous vehicles stop at all? They should slow just enough to avoid collisions only.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
say that its an extra windy day and garbage such as bags and small cardboard boxes get blown all over the road, what does robot car do then? does it run over that shit or stop til somebody in the car moves it? what if its something live like turkeys? we get wild turkeys by me and those assholes are always crossing the road.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I feel like by time effective, efficient fully functional automated electric cars become widespread the necessary technologies will make personal air transportation more feasible. Essentially once battery technology fixes the problem with electric cars, you might as well just fly with it instead.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
What happens when you have an emergency situation and need to get somewhere like a hospital quickly? Will I be stuck going 55 down the highway along with everyone else because it might interrupt a few thousand people's daily commute?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So what are your projected timelines then? Level 3 was met by Tesla within the last year or two. When would you anticipate Level 4 becoming available? Tesla is saying 2018, apparently. Tesla and Musk never hit milestones, so maybe 2020 is more realistic. Do you agree/disagree with that? You seem to feel that the step from 4 to 5 is the biggest, so when do you think that will be? 2030? Further out? For me, Level 4 is plenty good enough. For the trips I often take, I'll always need to have the ability to take over manual control to drive on backcountry dirt roads etc. But it would be awesome to let the vehicle do the driving on the highway/freeway to get there.

Personally I'd be thrilled if Level 4 is available in the next 3-5 years. The adaptive cruise control on our Yukon is fucking awesome for highway driving. I've gone 4+ hours/400 km without touching a pedal in that thing, and it's great. It makes the driving experience, for me at least, a lot more relaxing and likely safer. I'll tend to drive slower with that on actually, because when I come up behind slower traffic I'll often not even bother to change lanes to pass them.
I don't have a projected timeline.

Also the differences between level 2,3,4 and 5 are muddier than SAE will admit. It's arguable that until you can go from curb to curb, you're not at level 3. It's not an argument I'd care to have though, because it misses the core point, which is this:
People like me being able to load a vehicle with $200k sensors and computing hardware and then driving in ideal and semi-controlled conditions is very cool and impressive. But translating that into working in non-ideal and uncontrolled conditions is harder. And then commoditizing it to widespread consumer adoption into the market is much harder.

It's great stuff and will happen, but don't be upset when you wake up ten years from now and 99.99% of the vehicles on the road have little to no autonomy. And don't be upset when that number only goes down to 95% in the next decade, and 80% in the decade after that.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
say that its an extra windy day and garbage such as bags and small cardboard boxes get blown all over the road, what does robot car do then? does it run over that shit or stop til somebody in the car moves it? what if its something live like turkeys? we get wild turkeys by me and those assholes are always crossing the road.
Virtually every obstacle whether it's a garbage bag, stroller, box or turkey will be responded to in the same way: hard stop and wait for the obstacle to move away, or move around it if possible.. Google is doing some very amazing things with object analysis from lidar scans, but that's more for predictive behavior than deciding whether we should collide with a box or stop for an anvil.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What happens when you have an emergency situation and need to get somewhere like a hospital quickly? Will I be stuck going 55 down the highway along with everyone else because it might interrupt a few thousand people's daily commute?

By the time we get to the point where the traffic rules change such that no, you won't be allowed to break rank and meatbag drive, you'll probably want to use the autonomous system as it will be hurtling you across the interstate at 100+mph

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Virtually every obstacle whether it's a garbage bag, stroller, box or turkey will be responded to in the same way: hard stop and wait for the obstacle to move away, or move around it if possible.. Google is doing some very amazing things with object analysis from lidar scans, but that's more for predictive behavior than deciding whether we should collide with a box or stop for an anvil.

So I'm picturing one guy has to get out on the freeway and sacrifice themselves to retrieve the can where as soon as he starts to move it his car just takes off without him at 150 mph.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like by time effective, efficient fully functional automated electric cars become widespread the necessary technologies will make personal air transportation more feasible. Essentially once battery technology fixes the problem with electric cars, you might as well just fly with it instead.

The energy density required for flight makes range problems on electric cars seem like trex's DD's. Current battery powered tech capable of flight and carrying passengers would go like 18 feet before it fell out of the sky out of power.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So if you have an auto vehicle and want to just creep along and go and then slow down a lot, how would you do that? Voice control?

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

You will call 911 and the operator will tag your car as a ambulance and the traffic in front of you will part like the Red Sea did for Moses as you fly down the road at 120 moh.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is actually part of the smart highway plans that I saw kicked around. Where automated stations/sensors on the highway constantly would broadcast current traffic info/accidents and what not so automated cars could react accordingly.

LOL lets first fix our fucking brokeback highways and streets. That shit has been crumbling for the past 2-3 decades.