Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Another thing ny automated car must be able to do.

My automated car needs to be able to drive its self to the fast food place drive through order what I want then drive it home and honk.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Abother thing ny automated car must be able to do.

My automated car needs to be able to drive its self to the fast food place drive through order what I want then drive it home and honk.
RIP pizza delivery.

I actually think drones delivering pizza/jimmyjohns etc will become more prevalent than cars. And it's going to be awesome.

AVCPL

N00b
the stats are just nuts:

Preliminary estimates from the National Safety Council indicate motor vehicle deaths were 8% higher in 2015 than they were in 2014 – the largest year-over-year percent increase in 50 years. The Council estimates 38,300 people were killed on U.S. roads, and 4.4 million were seriously injured, meaning 2015 likely was the deadliest driving year since 2008.

people always focus on the deaths of course, but how many are paralyzed, or have limbs ripped off, or have some traumatic brain injury...

you would think as a society we would make this more of a priority than we do...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
you would think as a society we would make this more of a priority than we do...
Please contact your congressmen and tell them you care deeply about this issue and they should push for looser money in vehicular autonomy.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Suggesting what is bullshit? The work the automotive industry is doing, including uber/google/tesla, volvo/bosch/ford/freightliner/gm/honda/fuckingeveryone, cmu/standford/mit is not bullshit at all.

What is bullshit, or rather is too optimistic, is the idea that we're going to all be driven around by JohnnyCabs in a few short years.

So what are your projected timelines then? Level 3 was met by Tesla within the last year or two. When would you anticipate Level 4 becoming available? Tesla is saying 2018, apparently. Tesla and Musk never hit milestones, so maybe 2020 is more realistic. Do you agree/disagree with that? You seem to feel that the step from 4 to 5 is the biggest, so when do you think that will be? 2030? Further out? For me, Level 4 is plenty good enough. For the trips I often take, I'll always need to have the ability to take over manual control to drive on backcountry dirt roads etc. But it would be awesome to let the vehicle do the driving on the highway/freeway to get there.

Personally I'd be thrilled if Level 4 is available in the next 3-5 years. The adaptive cruise control on our Yukon is fucking awesome for highway driving. I've gone 4+ hours/400 km without touching a pedal in that thing, and it's great. It makes the driving experience, for me at least, a lot more relaxing and likely safer. I'll tend to drive slower with that on actually, because when I come up behind slower traffic I'll often not even bother to change lanes to pass them.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
1gG63Os.gif

iannis

Musty Nester
Rolling Google death machines.

Serious question. When an accident does happen, who is responsible for loss of property and life? The manufacturer? The owners? The occupant? Operator is too strong a word for an autonomous vehicle.

It seems like some sort of overarching state or federal insurance structure would be required. The social engineering is probably more daunting than the physical. And it needs to be planned, because an organic growth will not be efficient. Inefficient insurance means no general adaptation.

I'll keep my steering wheel for now. Adaptive CC is nice. Rear view cameras are nice. Keyless entry I'm not impressed with, nor the overabundance of "hidden tax" sensors.

Yeah, were good. Avoid the temptation to over engineer and call it progress imho.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What would be really cool about a totally autonomous control like the one above would be that you could dynamically change the lanes in a computer somewhere and the cars would instantly know it and adjust accordingly. Congestion eastbound? Well now that 8 lane highway has 6 eastbound lanes and only 2 westbound. On the evening rush hour it will be the opposite. Try to do that with human drivers and it would be a bloodbath.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Rolling Google death machines.

Serious question. When an accident does happen, who is responsible for loss of property and life? The manufacturer? The owners? The occupant? Operator is too strong a word for an autonomous vehicle.

It seems like some sort of overarching state or federal insurance structure would be required. The social engineering is probably more daunting than the physical.

I'll keep my steering wheel.

Same place thats responsible for loss of property and life now: insurance company. Except rates would be astronomically lower because accidents would be infrequent and probably minor.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Another thing ny automated car must be able to do.

I was thinking about this too. I am guessing it is going to be something like an APP where you put in the branch of food place you want to go to and with a CC have it order your meal and drive you there so it can be ready for pick up when you get there. It could easily even give near real time ETA on your arrival.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
So what are your projected timelines then? Level 3 was met by Tesla within the last year or two. When would you anticipate Level 4 becoming available? Tesla is saying 2018, apparently. Tesla and Musk never hit milestones, so maybe 2020 is more realistic. Do you agree/disagree with that? You seem to feel that the step from 4 to 5 is the biggest, so when do you think that will be? 2030? Further out? For me, Level 4 is plenty good enough. For the trips I often take, I'll always need to have the ability to take over manual control to drive on backcountry dirt roads etc. But it would be awesome to let the vehicle do the driving on the highway/freeway to get there.

Personally I'd be thrilled if Level 4 is available in the next 3-5 years. The adaptive cruise control on our Yukon is fucking awesome for highway driving. I've gone 4+ hours/400 km without touching a pedal in that thing, and it's great. It makes the driving experience, for me at least, a lot more relaxing and likely safer. I'll tend to drive slower with that on actually, because when I come up behind slower traffic I'll often not even bother to change lanes to pass them.
Ford apparently is aiming for 2021 Ford's self-driving car 'coming in 2021' - BBC News I think this is likely a bit optimistic but we are going to start seeing them more and more commonly in a decade.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
What would be really cool about a totally autonomous control like the one above would be that you could dynamically change the lanes in a computer somewhere and the cars would instantly know it and adjust accordingly. Congestion eastbound? Well now that 8 lane highway has 6 eastbound lanes and only 2 westbound. On the evening rush hour it will be the opposite. Try to do that with human drivers and it would be a bloodbath.

This is actually part of the smart highway plans that I saw kicked around. Where automated stations/sensors on the highway constantly would broadcast current traffic info/accidents and what not so automated cars could react accordingly. The fact that automated cars don't rubber neck or over react also means that pinch points like that should be less shitty than they are currently slowing your commute instead of bringing it to random dead halts.

iannis

Musty Nester
Same place thats responsible for loss of property and life now: insurance company. Except rates would be astronomically lower because accidents would be infrequent and probably minor.
Sure, but won't that need to be planned? It doesn't seem like private enterprise is the best way to do it, because we will need new or modified laws.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Sure, but won't that need to be planned? It doesn't seem like private enterprise is the best way to do it, because we will need new or modified laws.

New or modified laws such as... ?

Right now, if your brakes randomly fail and you plow into a bus full of nuns and kill them all, do you think you go to prison? No, because you weren't negligent. Do you think the auto manufacturer gets sued into oblivion? Not unless they were negligent in designing or manufacturing the thing.

There will probably be some agency that signs off on the performance of various AI's (DOT?) that will be approved for consumer use. If you're using one of those AI's and it fucks up and kills someone, I don't see, conceptually, why that'd be any different than a mechanical failure resulting in death today.

Since people won't be in control, "fault" in accidents becomes academic because either way the AI's should have avoided it, and they're all "mechanical faults." I imagine as the AI's get deployed and we get millions of miles of testing on them, that they will be improved orders of magnitude beyond human driver capability in short order.

iannis

Musty Nester
It does seem pretty straightforward to me, too. But you involve fifty legislatures, their vested interests, and their ability to cock straightforward things completely up and then you layer private national insurance agencies on top of that with their vested interests and then you have congress decide that these are issues which involve the regulation of trade across state lines and federal infrastructure and then you consider that far and away the greatest boon this offers is to fleet shipping

I dunno. It seems like a little planning will go a long way. I don't think it'll be as easy as that. Maybe it will be. A fully autonomous vehicle is not really just a new type of car. It's a new thing. What you're saying is sensible and true, but I'm not sure it's a complete treatment of the impending social dynamic. That dynamic finds expression in the laws, naw meen?

Haka

N00b
Oh, and my prediction on how the above question will play out: For decades OEMs will tell users, "Don't take fucking naps. Pay attention. if the autonomy system fails and you don't catch it, it's on your dumb ass."

Much to Aldarion's dissent, a big part of autonomy development is a camera in the cabin monitoring the driver. In cars that actually care about safety (ex: volvo), expect to see some nanny-cam that bitches and moans when it detects the driver isn't paying attention. After enough autonomy failures this might become a feature required by government.

Pulling this out from a page back, but the mining industry uses a scanner in the cockpit of those huge 1-2 million dollar mining trucks, which keeps track of the driver's eye. If their eye is closed for too long because they're dozing off, an alarm goes off in the cabin (an the controller is notified), if it happens twice they're kicked off their shift.

Obviously those aren't automated though.