Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goonsquad Officer
Sounds like this autonomous car death was due to a homeless woman walking suddenly into traffic

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Supposedly the police have already viewed the videos from the car (which is festooned with cameras) and they are saying the hit was probably unavoidable whether it was a human driver or autonomous because the lady suddenly stepped out into traffic from the median.

I’m sure we’ll get lots of autonomous car FUD as a result though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
I already saw a headline about how the backup driver was a felon

• 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Someone around here who was an “authority” on self-driving commercial vehicles said we weren’t gonna see them deployed in public for at least ten years.

How are they killing people already?

Arizona has intentionally left the autonomous car industry unregulated in their state in order to attract the business.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I told you guys this was going to take a long time to come to fruition. someone here said 2025, LUL. this shit will be 2050 before it ever gets a foothold, if that.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
They’ve been active since late 2016. Waymo racked up five million miles and Uber’s self-driving fleet has another three million. This would make it the first fatality in 8 million miles and almost two years of service. Conventional taxi services average 18 fatalities per year for passengers and drivers alone.

BC7172F3-C077-4E4F-BE2C-8DC21883F92E.jpeg

That’s NOT counting the highest risk group for transportation fatalities which are “roadway trespassers” specifically bicyclists illegally weaving through traffic...

..which is exactly how that chick died. She was weaving through traffic and goosed the AI and got wrecked before the assistant could pause his Netflix.

Last edited:

Cybsled

1 robo car runs over a person “omg unsafe reeeeeereee!”

1000x and more that number of human drivers do the same thing “it was unavoidable!”

I’d sooner trust a robot than the legions of stupid fucks currently on the road.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, I heard toyota is suspending RL road tests now. One incident probably pushed all this shit back a few years, and irony is that it was the bitches fault for getting hit.

• 1Picard

khorum

Murder Apologist
That’s their insurance crawling up their asshole most likely.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Like I said, Im all for this shit. Nothing would be better than catching a nap on the way to and from work, fuck bring it on already. And fuck would I love to do the same in our 3 hr round trips to our cabin that we make like 20 times a year. But I fear that our expectations are outpacing the actual tech, and all the bullshit surrounding it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Like I said, Im all for this shit. Nothing would be better than catching a nap on the way to and from work, fuck bring it on already. And fuck would I love to do the same in our 3 hr round trips to our cabin that we make like 20 times a year. But I fear that our expectations are outpacing the actual tech, and all the bullshit surrounding it.
the car stops if there is any obstruction in the road. that means its slave (YOU), will have to get out and move it. no naps for you. you might wake up after 3 hours in your own driveway.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
1 robo car runs over a person “omg unsafe reeeeeereee!”

1000x and more that number of human drivers do the same thing “it was unavoidable!”
That's mostly what I see here: "if it had been just a human driver, it wouldn't even have rated a notice in local news". But we're already holding machines to a higher standard than humans. Otherwise, what's the point of replacing the humans :)

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
There's a lot of stuff that will suddenly popup that nobody thought about. Will take time. I read they had issues in Australia becuase whatever they were using to avoid stuff got confused by Kangaroos going up and down and threw off the calculation of distance to it from going up and down as it crossed the road.

Cybsled

That is why you eat Kangaroos. I actually tried kangaroo meat once, wasn't bad. Reminded me a bit of lean beef.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nothing I've seen says that anything actually got pushed back from this.

Toyota halting some on-road tests probably doesn't impact much, since most of the challenges of vehicular autonomy aren't surpassed by more live, system level testing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota just activated their "Ped Murder by automobile" contingency trap card they laid out years ago that says they'd be all super serious when someone's car ran over a homeless person.

The response to this incident and the other death has been really mild. The public really is numb to vehicular death and thinks autonomy is going to help it (it will). There just isn't an anti-autonomy group or any money in it for big media to push.

I think we won't see much outrage until an autonomous car runs over a kid in an accident that a human driver could've avoided and that, sadly, will happen.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It’s macabre but this is actually an important step for autonomous transport if the state or the family drag Uber to court.

If Uber doesn’t settle it’ll be an important precedent for liability cases involving autonomous vehicles in the future. Uber had three cameras on the driver and two cameras recording the victims both from the dash and from a rear-mounted camera. They have evidence to sustain their case that neither the driver nor the AI was at fault.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nothing would be better than catching a nap on the way to and from work, fuck bring it on already.

I love the idea of an autonomous rv vacation. Like you spend the day at Disneyland, watch the fireworks, then get in the RV and go to sleep and wake up in San Francisco for the next day of your trip.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It’s macabre but this is actually an important step for autonomous transport if the state or the family drag Uber to court.

If Uber doesn’t settle it’ll be an important precedent for liability cases involving autonomous vehicles in the future. Uber had three cameras on the driver and two cameras recording the victims both from the dash and from a rear-mounted camera. They have evidence to sustain their case that neither the driver nor the AI was at fault.

Uber will pay any amount of money to keep this out of court.